What DO schools are most like MD schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
All must bow down to the JP God (soon to be surgery scut).

I also forgot that by attending PCOM you suddenly have more authority to rank DO schools since you attended them all. Anyone can research the schools and come to there own conclusions.

I have more authority than you. :laugh:

Researching schools goes far beyond googling their name for statistics.

What about the quality of the students, interns and residents?
What about the opinions of attendings who have worked and trained at different schools?
What about the time spent speaking with students from across the country at conferences and research symposia?
What about the time spent at different schools as an ambassador?

Dont talk to me about your research of the osteopathic schools. Your "research" is no more than what you read here on SDN, what they told you on your tour and what you can pull out of a pamphlet.

And you better think twice about who you call a "surgery scut." In 3 months one of us will be using scalpel on real patients...the other will be crying over a cadaver because you cant find the long thoracic nerve. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

The opinion of a premed on this issue is more ridiculous than Riker at the playboy mansion. Makes no sense man!

That's enough of that. Don't bring me into your conclusions, thank you.

cvmk.jpg

So...as to the original question, I'll give my plug for Kirksville.

Curriculum: A lot of pre-clinical class hours, more than most DO schools and it is year round (a few weeks off between years 1 and 2. Anatomy hours are in the top 3% of all medical schools (MD and DO). And of those in my class that took USMLE (a marker of how similar the pre-clinical education was to MD schools), almost all got higher than the national average.

The proof is in the residency match list. People in my class matched in VERY competitive fields at top allopathic programs. Anesthesia, Gen Surg, IM, Ortho, etc at places such as U of Iowa, Cleveland Clinic, Mayo.

People know that KCOM is the founding school and a lot has to be said for a school to be in existence for over 100 years. Not a knock at the newer DO schools, but having a solid history like KCOM, DMU, CCOM won't make you worry that accredidation or rotation sites might fall through and leave you hanging.

I wouldn't change my decision to train at KCOM, I loved it, had an unbelievable time, and made some awesome friends.

BUT, if you need a huge metropolis...not for you.

Please feel free to pm me with more questions.

CP

Members don't see this ad :)
I disagree. TCOM is the home to the "National Osteopathic Research Center" because they themselves named it that. It takes a lot more than constructing a second rate research search engine to earn my vote as a top school.

Since you are a fan of facts, you might want to have some before posting statements like this. Especially since I am sure the fine folks at TCOM won't sleep well until they have "your vote". ;)

Who named, established, and funded the center:

Original partners and source of funds:
American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine (AACOM)
American Osteopathic Association (AOA)
American Osteopathic Foundation (AOF)

You will note TCOM and UNT aren't even on the list.

I never stated that TCOM should be the list or even top it, but how do you justify not including a state run, established school with top numbers as top tier.

To illustrate:

PCOM is top tier. Avg entering GPA 3.38 and avg MCAT 24. Taken from their site.

TCOM also top tier. Avg entering GPA 3.52 and avg MCAT 27. Same source.

Both schools do well in the match and have earned a reputation for excellence. So come on JP, where is the love?? :love:

It's OK to admit it, they have your vote don't they.... :thumbup:

It's OK to admit it, they have your vote don't they.... :thumbup:

ok

But why was it to be at TCOM? Do you know THAT?

When you find that out, get back to me. I think you will be a bit suprised at the answer. :)

And you better think twice about who you call a "surgery scut." In 3 months one of us will be using scalpel on real patients...the other will be crying over a cadaver because you cant find the long thoracic nerve. :laugh:

Oh JP, you're so easy to get a rise out of. I just couldn't resist.

I think you should be a D.O. because you want to be a D.O. and not because allopathic programs are tougher to get into. With all things being equal as far as the quality of education (although some might argue DOs' know more), being a D.O. means that you're committed to its philosophy and believe that it is the best modality of treating patients. A doctor is a doctor whether you're a MD or DO, and to most of your patients it carries no importance. To you, however, it should be how you want to treat your patients because there are subtle differences between the two.

That's enough of that. Don't bring me into your conclusions, thank you.

cvmk.jpg
I want you to crawl back under whatever rock you slithered out from, but apparently neither can get our wish now can we? :laugh:

I think you should be a D.O. because you want to be a D.O. and not because allopathic programs are tougher to get into. With all things being equal as far as the quality of education (although some might argue DOs' know more), being a D.O. means that you're committed to its philosophy and believe that it is the best modality of treating patients. A doctor is a doctor whether you're a MD or DO, and to most of your patients it carries no importance. To you, however, it should be how you want to treat your patients because there are subtle differences between the two.
:sleep:

But why was it to be at TCOM? Do you know THAT?

When you find that out, get back to me. I think you will be a bit suprised at the answer. :)

Per JP's request, the top five reasons the National Osteopathic Research Center is located at TCOM:

5. The National Osteopathic Research Center At University of North Texas Health Science Center's Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine gave them a shot at the longest title in academia. :thumbup:

4. George W is from Texas and we know how serious he is about education. Not his own, but still...... :sleep:

3. The cattle have been complaining about somatic dysfunction. :eek:

2. When asked, TCOM said yes. :love:

And last, but not least...

1. The AOA wants to be big time and everything is bigger in Texas. :cool:

UMDNJ and MSU have had lackluster matches year after year. That says something (either they carefully select their matriculants from PC oreinted pre-meds or they are under prepared for boards and can't compete). I'll let you decide.

Oh and yes I am a premed who was accepted to every freakin DO school I applied to as well as a top 10 MD school (and I still picked USUHS). The only people who don't care about school reputation are people who got into a school without one.

peace

Wow, you have their match list? I think you should post it in the Match List thread because I think there are quite a few people who would like to see this information that you are privy to.