What DO schools have a strict attendance policy during the first 2 years?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kgpremed11

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if you guys wouldn't mind sharing the attendance policy for the school you attend or any others you are aware of. Im especially interested in

WCU
Debusk
ACOM
LECOM B
Nova
PCOM
PCOM Georgia
AT stills MO
DMU
KCUMB
CCOM
VCOM-V

thanks in advance.

Also Does your school have a dress code? If so what is it.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
i believe the only school that has a dress code i.e. what you should wear sitting in a lecture is lecom.

NSU has a dress code I believe. It's pretty chill though, either shirt and tie or scrubs. As for attendance, I heard KCUMB is strict on attendance.

CCOM has no attendance (besides lab) or dress policy.

KCUMB also has a dress code but it is either business casual with lab coat or scrubs. DMU has neither (except some required classes like OMM).

DCOM doesn't have mandatory attendance except for labs and the very few and far between lectures. Even guest lectures aren't entirely mandatory, however, they do strongly encourage us to go to the guest lectures, and there have been times where we've been "punished" for not having enough people go to class. But, for the most part, people do what they need to do in order to do well. We do also have a dress code. Nothing major, just no jeans with holes, flip flops, t-shirts, or hoodies. Those are the big ones. As long as you look presentable you are good.

My post concerning VCOM (both VC and SC) from the thread linked:

VCOM:
All lectures are mandatory AND videotaped and uploaded for viewing later. The policy allows for 15% of classes to be missed without excuse, measured in 1/2 days. Attendance is taken via assigned seating (you can choose your seat) and then pictures taken every so often and administrators looking for people who are missing. If you are missing in one picture, they'll check those before and after to make sure you aren't in the bathroom or something.

Labs and OMM sessions are absolutely 100% mandatory.

Seems harsh reading about it like this but it really isn't bad, and I actually like it because it forces me to get up in the morning. It also doesn't tell you that you HAVE to be paying attention. You can't wear headphones, but you can be going over other lectures (or checking SDN).

Concerning the dress code, it is business casual for lecture. If you have OMM or Anatomy lab after lecture you can come dressed out appropriately for those. Finals week sometimes they'll let us dress down.

VCOM:
All lectures are mandatory AND videotaped and uploaded for viewing later. The policy allows for 15% of classes to be missed without excuse, measured in 1/2 days. Attendance is taken via assigned seating (you can choose your seat) and then pictures taken every so often and administrators looking for people who are missing. If you are missing in one picture, they'll check those before and after to make sure you aren't in the bathroom or something.

Why don't they use iClickers?

They could make a stern and public announcement promising penalties for those caught or reported. Just an option to consider.

Sure they could, but in the end it would just be more work. It's easier for them in the end to just take pictures and quickly look for empty seats. You are either present or you aren't. No use even trying to take the risk to game the system.

Besides, we have a strict ethical policy here and thus anyone caught doing that would have to get reprimanded, which would mean an honor code committee meeting, formal action, etc. In the end it seems that it keeps the school from having extra honor code violations on record. I'm not an administrator here, so I obviously can't make statements about the actual intent of the administration, so take my ideas with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

VCOM:

Labs and OMM sessions are absolutely 100% mandatory.

Seems harsh reading about it like this but it really isn't bad, and I actually like it because it forces me to get up in the morning. It also doesn't tell you that you HAVE to be paying attention. You can't wear headphones, but you can be going over other lectures (or checking SDN).

Concerning the dress code, it is business casual for lecture. If you have OMM or Anatomy lab after lecture you can come dressed out appropriately for those. Finals week sometimes they'll let us dress down.

So glad I go to PCOM. No attendance policy except for OMM and Patient Care Skills labs, and dress code is pajama casual :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
So glad I go to PCOM. No attendance policy except for OMM and Patient Care Skills labs, and dress code is pajama casual :cool:

It sounds awful from the outside but I think if I were to take a poll of all my classmates the vast majority really wouldn't say it's as awful as it seems once you get used to it. I'm also sure there are plenty like me that actually like the policy for various reasons.

I was wondering if you guys wouldn't mind sharing the attendance policy for the school you attend or any others you are aware of. Im especially interested in

WCU
Debusk
ACOM
LECOM B
Nova
PCOM
PCOM Georgia
AT stills MO
DMU
KCUMB
CCOM
VCOM-V

thanks in advance.

Also Does your school have a dress code? If so what is it.

LECOM: shirt and tie (or equivalent for ladies), 100% mandatory attendance for lab/lecture. Assigned seating and if you aren't in class, your seat gets highlighted and you get a nasty-gram from the faculty. There was even detention once...on a saturday morning...

If attendance is a consideration for you I would say avoid LECOM or apply PBL.

Detention... brings back great memories of the good ol' days of high school.

LECOM: shirt and tie (or equivalent for ladies), 100% mandatory attendance for lab/lecture. Assigned seating and if you aren't in class, your seat gets highlighted and you get a nasty-gram from the faculty. There was even detention once...on a saturday morning...

Whoa.....detention? Thats intense.

I think stupid, ridiculous, asinine and degrading are all more appropriate terms.

I love it here, but then again I'm PBL so I barely have to deal with that sort of attendance stuff.

Same dress policy for the new Campbell University COM and I believe attendance is also mandatory.

GA-PCOM has required attendance for basic science labs, OMM labs (you get 3 absences for the year), primary care skills labs and my class (the 2nd years) has mandatory attendance for guest lectures (we get 5 unexcused absences per course).

Attendance in lectures is done via sign-in sheet, i-Clicker check-in for PCS lab and i-Clicker quizzes every week for OMM lab (if you have perfect lab attendance, your 3 lowest quiz grades are dropped).

GA-PCOM has required attendance for basic science labs, OMM labs (you get 3 absences for the year), primary care skills labs and my class (the 2nd years) has mandatory attendance for guest lectures (we get 5 unexcused absences per course).

Attendance in lectures is done via sign-in sheet, i-Clicker check-in for PCS lab and i-Clicker quizzes every week for OMM lab (if you have perfect lab attendance, your 3 lowest quiz grades are dropped).

There are basic science labs in medical school besidses A&P? I never knew that. Would classes like biochem or immunology have labs too?

There are basic science labs in medical school besidses A&P? I never knew that. Would classes like biochem or immunology have labs too?

We have gross anatomy lab in the fall term and neuroanatomy lab in the spring (but it's not as intensive as gross). None of our other basic science courses have a lab component associated with it.

PCOM-GA:

No dress code

Attendance is encouraged during first year using iClicker questions worth 5-10% of grade, but non-mandatory. Second year has mandatory attendance for guest lecturers, which make up quite a few classes, but other lectures are non-mandatory.