What do you do during a leave of absence?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustTooLit

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Got a leave of absence because a lot of family health issues were interfering with my studying. Was struggling in biochem and anatomy, was wondering what approach would be the best so I can be ready next year and do better? Anyone else experience something like this? Been so stressed over this ngl, so any help would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Got a leave of absence because a lot of family health issues were interfering with my studying. Was struggling in biochem and anatomy, was wondering what approach would be the best so I can be ready next year and do better? Anyone else experience something like this? Been so stressed over this ngl, so any help would be appreciated.
Very sorry to hear about your troubles.

1) Work on coping skills
2) work on your academic deficits/improve or find your best learning modality

On a medical leave of abscence. This is what I’ve been doing:

1) First and foremost seeing doctors and getting the help I needed for my medical issues

2) continuing my research. I don’t put much but I have submitted an abstract so even a little bit counts

3) I’ve been reviewing the blocks I went over before my leave using only board resources (anking, BnB, pathoma, and scholar rx for questions) I don’t study like I did when I was in school but I try to do at least 2-3 hours per day with no studying during the weekends as I work to support myself and live.

Biochem was difficult for me because you can’t put as much time into it with everything else. What helped was drawing out the pathways and doing questions. Anki didn’t help me personally.

For anatomy, I would dictate an hour of my study time to go into the cadaver lab and run through the structure list. I think it is just repetition. I did well on all my anatomy practicals without anki also but use anki if you need too cuz a lot of my classmates were saved on practicals because anki helped them a lot. I think both is just repetition repetition repetition.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
On a medical leave of abscence. This is what I’ve been doing:

1) First and foremost seeing doctors and getting the help I needed for my medical issues

2) continuing my research. I don’t put much but I have submitted an abstract so even a little bit counts

3) I’ve been reviewing the blocks I went over before my leave using only board resources (anking, BnB, pathoma, and scholar rx for questions) I don’t study like I did when I was in school but I try to do at least 2-3 hours per day with no studying during the weekends as I work to support myself and live.

Biochem was difficult for me because you can’t put as much time into it with everything else. What helped was drawing out the pathways and doing questions. Anki didn’t help me personally.

For anatomy, I would dictate an hour of my study time to go into the cadaver lab and run through the structure list. I think it is just repetition. I did well on all my anatomy practicals without anki also but use anki if you need too cuz a lot of my classmates were saved on practicals because anki helped them a lot. I think both is just repetition repetition repetition.

Hope this helps!
Yeah for me trying to memorize the biochemical reactions off the slides just became impossible because there were so many of them. I'm hoping to def draw stuff out and prob use some youtubers as a guide (nnemonics and such). Anatomy for me was tough because of the type of questions that was asked and I felt like I put in a lot of time studying for the bodies but for whatever reason I ended up not doing too well on the lab practicals. I def gotta find out how to improve there. Thank you for the advice and good luck on Ur LOA! I wasn't doing any research to begin with but IDK if now would be a good time to get into it.

Yeah for me trying to memorize the biochemical reactions off the slides just became impossible because there were so many of them. I'm hoping to def draw stuff out and prob use some youtubers as a guide (nnemonics and such). Anatomy for me was tough because of the type of questions that was asked and I felt like I put in a lot of time studying for the bodies but for whatever reason I ended up not doing too well on the lab practicals. I def gotta find out how to improve there. Thank you for the advice and good luck on Ur LOA! I wasn't doing any research to begin with but IDK if now would be a good time to get into it.
Thank you! Thankfully it’s almost over and I can go back to school soon. Good luck to you also, you got this!

If you have time then I would say find a chill lab. Don’t stretch yourself thin during this time though because that just negates the whole point of taking one. I had a project I was already doing which helped but I also joined a really really chill but successful lab and it has been not stressful at all