What do u plan to do w/ a pharm D (granted we all get in and graduate =))?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nicepharm

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I've read many different responses for what pple want to do w/ their degrees n such, but for myself, I want to do medical missions after some clinical experience. Nooo retail for me...so long as I can resist the money lure! :p Anyone else share this ambition too? I've heard all the cliche things u can do w/ a pharmD (ie retail, clinical, etc) but theres soo much more out there! Anyone else find an interesting niche?

Members don't see this ad.

i want to go into academia...teachin

I want to get into pharmacogenomics, infectious disease pharmacy or work retail to save money. It all depends if I can get into some interesting pharmacogenomic research and how my rotations work out.

If I do retail, I'll have a few options:
-save money to own my own pharmacy after doing a residency in pharmacy management.
-save enough money to pay for a good chunk of med school. Perhaps when I'm in my late 30's I'll go into internal medicine and eventually start my own practice.
-work in retail until I retire. I'd continue my current lower middle income lifestyle with the occasional splurge. I'm so cheap it's not even funny. :oops: I'd put my love for high risk stock trading to use and get a conservative 15% profit out of my huge savings. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
You want to go to med school after pharm school? :wow:

Arike86 said:
i want to go into academia...teachin

Arike, I am thinking about going into teaching also. Do you need a Ph.D to do so?

Personally, I'm headed retail. I'm thinking Walgreen's 7-on 7-off night shift, to me that's a deal that just can't be beat. I mean I've heard all the downsides to nights and to retail, but I just keep thinking one thing, 26 weeks of vacation, you can't beat that. But that's just me I've got a lot of traveling to do and plenty of concerts to check out with the rest of my life, so as soon as school is over I'm gonna be on permanent easy ride.

I'd like to go into retail for a little while to save money, work overtime and make a dent in those loans. But everyone tells me once you get into retail you can't get out even if you wanted to. A few years go by and you've forgotten anything clinical and you're kind of stuck.
Residency is an option but I've heard that residents end up waiting for these awesome positions that never come. Anyone think that's true?

jplaster said:
Personally, I'm headed retail. I'm thinking Walgreen's 7-on 7-off night shift, to me that's a deal that just can't be beat. I mean I've heard all the downsides to nights and to retail, but I just keep thinking one thing, 26 weeks of vacation, you can't beat that. But that's just me I've got a lot of traveling to do and plenty of concerts to check out with the rest of my life, so as soon as school is over I'm gonna be on permanent easy ride.
jplaster, I work in a CVS district that currently has 4 24-hour stores. Believe me, they or Walgreens or anybody else will be thrilled to have you as a night pharmacist - it is so difficult to get a good one.

ndearwater said:
I'd like to go into retail for a little while to save money, work overtime and make a dent in those loans. But everyone tells me once you get into retail you can't get out even if you wanted to. A few years go by and you've forgotten anything clinical and you're kind of stuck.
Residency is an option but I've heard that residents end up waiting for these awesome positions that never come. Anyone think that's true?

My preceptor for my hospital rotation last year worked in retail for several years then moved to hospital. I don't think you forget everything.

I've met a few people doing specialty residencies. After you do your general residency, then you do your specialty, then you look for a job with that specialty.

I must admit to changing my mind many times during pharmacy school. There are so many different ways to go. But, I'm pretty sure that I am going retail.