What do we (women)dream of?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

LiveLoveFartRepeat

LiveLoveFartRepeat
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was just wondering out of curiosity..what do we women dream of as a "self-gift" when we make it out of pharmacy school...

I heard men talk about car, cars and cars....but what do you ladies want as your first big purchase JUST FOR YOURSELVES?

( ok ok..men are welcome to tell us what type of car and what options their dream car will have)

starting with me: I think that my first big purchase will be a vacation to an exotic place...bahamas or jamaica or some french islands...with spa and all those nice stuff..for an entire week..i am still debating if i should take the husband/son team with me or go with a girlfriend 😎 ..since it is a self gift..i might go with a girlfriend...

I don't plan on changing Gisele any time soon, unless she does not make it to the next 3 years and the 1-2 years after graduation ( Gisele is my car..she is my girl 😍 ..make an awful noise but still running...a 1998 ISUZU)
 
GabonpharmD said:
I was just wondering out of curiosity..what do we women dream of as a "self-gift" when we make it out of pharmacy school...

I heard men talk about car, cars and cars....but what do you ladies want as your first big purchase JUST FOR YOURSELVES?

( ok ok..men are welcome to tell us what type of car and what options their dream car will have)

starting with me: I think that my first big purchase will be a vacation to an exotic place...bahamas or jamaica or some french islands...with spa and all those nice stuff..for an entire week..i am still debating if i should take the husband/son team with me or go with a girlfriend 😎 ..since it is a self gift..i might go with a girlfriend...

I don't plan on changing Gisele any time soon, unless she does not make it to the next 3 years and the 1-2 years after graduation ( Gisele is my car..she is my girl 😍 ..make an awful noise but still running...a 1998 ISUZU)

i used to think about getting a sleek little mercedes, but, lately, the bmw's have been calling my name, so we will see. i've also considered a nice hawaiian vacation (but with my husband of course).....
 
[QUOTEi used to think about getting a sleek little mercedes, but, lately, the bmw's have been calling my name[/QUOTE]

I second that! 👍
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What I'm looking forward to for myself is security! Not to mention, no more of this 1 bedroom apartment thing. I can't think of any small luxury items though... maybe being able to do something on a whim without a credit card!!

😛
 
New house in a new city - we will relocate after pharmacy school, so it will be a chance to get all the things I don't like about my current house fixed!
 
I'm putting in a swimming pool with a nice waterfall, an outdoor kitchen with an Alfresco grill and an outdoor fireplace. We're also having brick pavers and screening in the entire space of 50' x 38'.

All the final quotes should be in by the end of the month (I hope). Then we can have plans drawn, submit it to the architectural review committee for our neighborhood, then sent it to the county for permitting. All of that will take a few months.
 
I'm a guy and I dream of buying either a gas station, small strip mall, or a motel after a few years of working as a pharmacist.
 
What a great thread. It's always fun to do a little dreaming before the big graduation day. My husband and I have talked about what to do after graduation as a gift to us and we decided that we will go to Europe for about 10-14 days. It's a gift for the both of us because without his help and support there would be no way I could make it through the program--he's been the best. Europe here we come (in 2008) 😀
 
dgroulx said:
I'm putting in a swimming pool with a nice waterfall, an outdoor kitchen with an Alfresco grill and an outdoor fireplace. We're also having brick pavers and screening in the entire space of 50' x 38'.

All the final quotes should be in by the end of the month (I hope). Then we can have plans drawn, submit it to the architectural review committee for our neighborhood, then sent it to the county for permitting. All of that will take a few months.

please send me some pics..when everything is completed..your description seems so romantic..i would like to see the final result...
 
imprecious said:
A wedding 🙂


ME Toooooo...we just sign the paper at the local court..in Florida....we will have the wedding..back home in Gabon..when we will be able to afford it 😉

i want a lavish one...i know how our families will be happy to see us do it the way they do back home..the traditional wedding....and everything our culture values....even if i have lived most of my life out of the country( out of 28 years i spent there only 6 years)but...just the idea makes me happy... 😍

Ok..i am going back to my rocking chair..dream about it....
 
JackFruitLover said:
I'm a guy and I dream of buying either a gas station, small strip mall, or a motel after a few years of working as a pharmacist.


I have promess to my husband to save as much as i can for 1-2 years when i start working...and invest all that money in his business...that means we won't be getting my dreamed house right away

without him..i would not be where i am in my life right now...and my success today has cost him a lot....so anything he wants he will get it....
and i know that he dreams of being a succesfull businessman...so my promess to myself..is once i become a pharmacist....we will focus on his dream...one dream at a time....
 
rxlynn said:
New house in a new city - we will relocate after pharmacy school, so it will be a chance to get all the things I don't like about my current house fixed!

Nice! Where do you think you might go?

As for me the only thing I can think of as a graduation gift is my dream house in my dream city but who knows where that will be at that time. 😀 I kinda want to move out west towards California.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
GabonpharmD said:
please send me some pics..when everything is completed..your description seems so romantic..i would like to see the final result...


Me too, that sounds wonderful (though I need the house first), which, after a vacation is my "gift" to both of us since hubby and I have both sacrificed together. Oh and then time to start a family too....
 
starsweet said:
Nice! Where do you think you might go?

As for me the only thing I can think of as a graduation gift is my dream house in my dream city but who knows where that will be at that time. 😀 I kinda want to move out west towards California.


Make sure when the time come to do your research before moving to California..I have seen a show on TV.. yes you make the money...but the land is so expensive....that the dream house is not as big and as nice that the castle you could get for the same price somewhere else in the nation...

where ever life takes you...make sur to have a big kitchen...

when i think house i have just two rooms in my mind...a big..no ....huge master bedroom/bath..an extra big bed for the kids to come jump in and a kitchen..a big one..with openings to the outside...lot of sun light coming in...a place to gather the family ( living rooms should be abolished :laugh: ) away from the TV and more conversations and cooking....
 
I'll probably purchase a Doc Watson model Gallagher acoustic guitar and start being a big financial supporter of my older brother and his family who are missionaries in the Darfur region of Sudan (I have no money to help while I've been in school).
 
I'll probably relocate to the Pacific Northwest after I graduate. First purchase will be a home theater system. The sound system I have now is 20 years old and has started to hum through the speakers. The TV is about that old, but still works pretty well. I don't have time to watch many movies now, so it'll be a good graduation gift.
 
GabonpharmD said:
At least you got one.. 😀 i don't even remember what a sound system look like. :laugh:

It doesn't matter if you remember what it looks like, just what it sounds like.
 
I'll box it up and send it to you, Gabon. It will drive you crazy. <hummmmmmmmmm> After going through the postal system, it'll probably be even more awful. LOL
 
I have an awesome near-audiophile stereo system. I've invested about $4k into it (buy used), actual cost if I were to buy components brand new should be around $8K. I listen to music while I study... that's how I study pharmacy.
 
I am working on a wish list...There are small things like one of those $50 trash cans for the kitchen, a new set of cooking chef knives, a new carpet for the living room and a good vacuum cleaner for it.
God, I hate vacuming my crusty rug over and over with a crumy vacuum cleaner.

I used to dream of owning my own house again...but the high prices are scaring me a bit. I was already slave to my mortgage once, with my first job in industry... My whole salary was being sucked dry with those payments, and I dreaded the repairs.
One a more fun note...
I want a trip to Europe...
 
Big house somewhere warm with a apartment or something on the bottom for the folks when they need it. And an orange tree. 🙂
 
vafcarrot said:
Big house somewhere warm with a apartment or something on the bottom for the folks when they need it. And an orange tree. 🙂

Hey I have an orange tree. It cost me only $14 from Home Depot. It's about 3 feet tall now🙂
 
Well, although I'm not a guy, my splurge will be a car--an old Bug. Then I will take her out for a new paint job and maybe some interior customization.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am married, I have a nice house and a nice car thanks God.

well if it was not to my husband's support I will not be where I am now, so I want to get him a new BMW that he wants instead of his old one.
 
I would like to purchase a big brand new house, and then maybe a BMW. Although I am a girl, I still love cars. 😀
 
Maybe its more of a medium-expensive purchase, but I want massage chair with matching calf and foot massaging ottoman. I sat in one of these at The Sharper Image the other day...it was amazing! They had to tell me to leave.
 
When I start making money again my gift to myself will be laser hair removal, and maybe my own spray on tanning booth. 😀

Then my husband and I will go on Safari, and maybe get a new car for us, probably a loaded Prius.
 
Jennay41 said:
Maybe its more of a medium-expensive purchase, but I want massage chair with matching calf and foot massaging ottoman. I sat in one of these at The Sharper Image the other day...it was amazing! They had to tell me to leave.

I sat in one of those and got a little too massaged (if you know what I mean). I chose to leave on my own before I caused a scene. 😀
 
All4MyDaughter said:
A trip to Disneyworld (Orlando) with my husband and daughter. My husband has never been and my daughter will be the perfect age to really enjoy it.

Summer of 2010 - we'll be there!

Aww, that is definately one of the best ways to spend money. I love Disneyworld.
 
dgroulx said:
I sat in one of those and got a little too massaged (if you know what I mean). I chose to leave on my own before I caused a scene. 😀

OMG, I'm so naive! I thought the only reason all those ladies were camped out on the massage chairs in the Sharper Image was that the salesmen were so cute. Since that's the only reason I have for going to Sharper Image. 😳
 
DownonthePharm said:
When I start making money again my gift to myself will be laser hair removal, and maybe my own spray on tanning booth. 😀

Then my husband and I will go on Safari, and maybe get a new car for us, probably a loaded Prius.


OMG!!! Your own spray on tanning machine!!! Like Mystic Tan or Magic Tan? I love those...but they cost like 25 bucks a session(it only lasts like 3 days for me since I run a lot and take 2 showers a day :laugh: ). I even bought the take home spray can that they sell there, but I can't get it right and it never looks the same. 😡 I gave up on the store bought junk that makes you turn orange.

My friend works at a spa and she actually does faux body painting for like 75 dollars, it lasts longer, but not that much longer.

I never actually thought about buying my own.... although my weird aunt in Wisconsin has her own tanning bed in her basement..... 😳 How much are they?
 
RockAByBaby said:
an Audi!!

Ha! I thought I would never say this.... I actually like the A6 better than the BMW 5 series. However, the 3 series still wins in my book over the A4. This is coming from a die hard bimmer fan ( my uncle is a VP for BMW and it has been ingrained in me that they are indeed the Ultimate Driving Machine). 😍 .. Anything German is great though.

Audi has a beautiful white color for their cars.
 
All4MyDaughter said:
A trip to Disneyworld (Orlando) with my husband and daughter. My husband has never been and my daughter will be the perfect age to really enjoy it.

Summer of 2010 - we'll be there!

You know it is all for you due to your HUGE crush on Buzz... or was it Woody? 🙂 Maybe both...
 
Kaya31 said:
Learning to fly! 😉


Flying is easy. Landing is little more difficult. Of course my instructor always wanted to go out when the wind is blowing 20mph gusting to 30mph.. it's no fun getting bounced around in a little cessna trying to land the plane with a crosswind gusting.

I'm little more than half way to my pilot's license. Haven't flown in a few weeks due to wind.

So I hired 2 pharmacists past 6 months.. both are private pilots.

Flying is fun!
 
GabonpharmD said:
I was just wondering out of curiosity..what do we women dream of as a "self-gift" when we make it out of pharmacy school...

I heard men talk about car, cars and cars....but what do you ladies want as your first big purchase JUST FOR YOURSELVES?


I ride horses. I want to be competing internationally before I'm 30. this will involve buying a horse already competing at that level to get me up to par. If I drop $35K I will be getting the deal of a lifetime.

http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php?form_horse_id=744702 would work.

http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php?form_horse_id=718060

http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php?form_horse_id=799314

I wouldn't turn any of them away from my barn.

of course I need to get a new truck so I can take said new fancy schmancy horse to shows to qualify for international competitions too...
 
Smilescali said:
OMG!!! Your own spray on tanning machine!!! ....
I never actually thought about buying my own.... although my weird aunt in Wisconsin has her own tanning bed in her basement..... 😳 How much are they?

Mystic Tan here is $40 a month for as many sessions as you want. I've never actually done it, but my sister in law does and it looks very natural. Ive been wanting to go so badly, but no time yet. I imagine it would only last about 3 days on me too because I exfoliate a lot. I like having a little color (Im a ghost naturally, so up to medium dark is a lot) but I stopped "real" tanning because my skin was looking really dry. I would love the convience of having all this girly crap right in your house. I think they run from $10 - $15k. But imagine they would last forever with only 1-5 people using it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad