What do you all think about this

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
"First we take the tacos, then we take Berlin."
Goats

Members don't see this ad :)
"First we take the tacos, then we take Berlin."
Goats

Maybe I can bring the goat tacos to the different pain conferences and I can get to the heart of one of the pain fellowship PDs that way despite my terrible non skills? yes!

Reactions: 1 user
You are female??

I forgot that...

And honestly, that never crossed my mind.

My Pain mentor was female. At least 1/3 of the fellows trained at my program are/were female. You are the one who appears to be imaging gender issues - at least when it comes to interpreting my comments.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You are female??

I forgot that...

My Pain mentor was female. At least 1/3 of the fellows trained at my program are/were female. You are the one who appears to be imaging gender issues - at least when it comes to interpreting my comments.

Good for you that you had a female mentor. I don't have a female mentor, nor any females at all in my area, every single attending in the field is male, and even extensively looking at other places, all the attendings in pain are male. and again - it's fine if you want to skip this over, but no female resident has ever matched acgme pain from my program. ever. Trust me, i've asked.

I read the thread, you however have trouble reading between the lines which is also likely why you don't mesh with your other pain attendings..

If this attending compliments your skills, yet at the same time tells you shouldn't pursue technical, risky procedures such as in pain medicine, it's because he's cushioning the blow. He's trying to find a way to say you're not that good, without crushing you.

How do we know if he's not good at something that he has never really trained at doing?

There are plenty of mentally unstable "attendings" that call people "not cut out for this field" for many reasons.

I remember having an attending that told me I'd never be able to do "epidurals because of genetic problems" in the past when I first started doing anesthesia. Interestingly, after thousands of epidurals, they are very quick for me to do. Amazing how that works huh?

The attending who made that comment wasn't particularly mentally stable and I am confident I am able to do lumbar epidurals far faster than that person now with far high accuracy. People have their motives.

Fine, I'll "calm down," and just stick with my non -ACGME pain fellowship that I already have. It's all my fault, I suck, I have done nothing well, and I don't deserve anything. I'm sorry I've wasted your time and everyone else's on this thread. I'll stop, be quiet and go make tacos. Sorry again.

I don't like this constant whining from female physicians where they claim to be "discriminated against due to being female" with zero proof.

Newsflash, about 50% of medical students are FEMALE these days despite having lower average MCAT scores when getting in. If anything, the discrimination is in the favor of White females.

Also, White females have never been oppressed despite feminist mythology. In fact, I would argue, they are the most privileged group on earth, far more than Hispanic men.

I don't like this constant whining from female physicians where they claim to be "discriminated against due to being female" with zero proof.

Newsflash, about 50% of medical students are FEMALE these days despite having lower average MCAT scores when getting in. If anything, the discrimination is in the favor of White females.

Also, White females have never been oppressed despite feminist mythology. In fact, I would argue, they are the most privileged group on earth, far more than Hispanic men.

dont be obtuse, dude. women got the right to vote less than 100 years ago and make way less than there male counterparts.

there are more female medical students, but they tend to gravitate towards primary care fields. that whole "alpha/beta" discussion on another thread.

that being said, lost_in_space needs to get over it.

Who gives a crap what this person said? How on earth could he possible judge whether you'd be competent at cervical procedures or not? What a joke. He's an idiot. He somehow can magically tell who will do well in a pain fellowship vs a spine fellowship? Tell him to go F himself.

The only negative about this is that it sounds like you just did a rotation that you won't get an LOR for pain fellowship. So kind of a waste of time.

If you can, it is better to do an ACGME-accredited pain fellowship than a "sports and spine" fellowship. This is not even debatable. Anyone who argues to the contrary is likely a grad of a S&S fellowship who has an inferiority complex.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
I do like me some Cabrito Tacos

Who gives a crap what this person said? How on earth could he possible judge whether you'd be competent at cervical procedures or not? What a joke. He's an idiot. He somehow can magically tell who will do well in a pain fellowship vs a spine fellowship? Tell him to go F himself.

The only negative about this is that it sounds like you just did a rotation that you won't get an LOR for pain fellowship. So kind of a waste of time.

If you can, it is better to do an ACGME-accredited pain fellowship than a "sports and spine" fellowship. This is not even debatable. Anyone who argues to the contrary is likely a grad of a S&S fellowship who has an inferiority complex.

This is precisely the issue. As I mentioned before, he also told the other female resident who was interested in a procedural field to do sports/spine. the last 2 male residents who wanted to do pain - he supported them for pain. also doing a little research, i found that he's given me the highest evaluation he's ever given someone. oh and to whoever talked about how females are not at a disadvantage, that's not true. and i'm not "a privileged white female" either as the post claims of white females - i'm not white either.

Members don't see this ad :)
dont be obtuse, dude. women got the right to vote less than 100 years ago and make way less than there male counterparts.

there are more female medical students, but they tend to gravitate towards primary care fields. that whole "alpha/beta" discussion on another thread.

Since you seem to have all the answers, why is it that you are so set on being harsh? I don't see what your issue is with what I have said. If you are a female I doubt you have not found any issues in the field being a woman. Like I have stated before, I have worked very hard, have sought out opportunities everywhere, don't have any female mentors, no female attendings in my department or any nearby department, and have have no opportunities.
What would you like me to be? Whip myself? I'm not sure what else you think I could do to improve my situation.

You are female??

I forgot that...

Dude you really couldn't tell lost was female? And I'm guessing also a millenial

Yes, I think we need to see her pic and also try out some of her chocolate chip cookies before we can fully understand her situation...

i'm not "a privileged white female" either as the post claims of white females - i'm not white either.
Ooohhhh. Now things are starting to become more clear. White females go into spine and not pain. NON white females just go into chiropractic are. But lasers and magic are cool, so cheer up!

I thought we were getting tacos. fish with mango for me please.

I don't make fish tacos regularly, although they are pretty good when I make them. But since you were mean and did not take me seriously or care to help, none for you.

i'm sad no one is willing to help. I really should have known better and just not gone to med school in the first place.

Looking over your multiple threads people have actually given you some pretty good advice from time to time. My guess is you haven't followed much or any of it. This is an internet forum, none of us know you and can't give you a golden ticket into the fellowship of your dreams. Talk to some of your other attendings and ask if they can shed light on why that other guy told you to go into spine. Ask around and see if other attendings will write letters for you too that are more pain specific. Apply to pain because that is what you want to do. Try and come up with an interesting case you saw and write it up. Consider calling one of the possible female mentors mentioned in a different thread and see if they can help you somehow. Acting entitled will not help you and only get you ridiculed as noted in many comments above. Also talk to some of your other coresidents that matched and some that didn't in the last couple of years and see what they think may have held them back other than gender. Figure out the differences in their CVs and come up with a plan to be as competitive as you can. Than apply and see what happens. I met plenty of women on interviews last year.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

post your CV here and that'll help me make a decision and give advice

Yes, I think we need to see her pic

Found it!!
open-uri20150422-20810-11ej849_779819a7.jpeg

I don't make fish tacos regularly, although they are pretty good when I make them. But since you were mean and did not take me seriously or care to help, none for you.

i'm sad no one is willing to help. I really should have known better and just not gone to med school in the first place.
Here is some (more) help. Chill out. Take some zoloft. Your gender is not holding you back.

Here is some (more) help. Chill out. Take some zoloft. Your gender is not holding you back.

If saying that helps you sleep at night, that's fine. I will tell you that in this field, it definitely does. Most of you simply want to deny certain facts because they are uncomfortable. I spoke to the 1 female fellow that I know, who has great credentials, many similar to mine, and she told me she had a bear of a time getting interviews and suffered quite the cold shoulder during her interview time. She also even told me - there were several places where I interviewed where it was evident that they had no interest in having me there but rather it was more like a quota type thing - this is her talking to me. She also told me that she felt I was a great candidate given my background and credentials, and to apply and all, but to be ready to feel like the lone person out. She also told me that she was the only woman in most of her interviews. There may be some women in pain, I'm not saying there are none - but the percentage is tiny.

That's one of the reasons why I have not been able to find female attendings/mentors in most programs that I have looked that are within a reasonable distance. Are we all saying that Pain is full of female practitioners? I know it may be an uncomfortable truth, but it's just the way it is. It's not surprising - most procedural specialties are male dominated - same thing happens in IR, Ortho, Gen surg, etc.

I have at this point decided to go ahead and apply to ACGME programs and if not I'll stick with my non-ACGME program. But denying reality bothers me. I guess I'll be on my way. I'm sorry I've made you all uncomfortable, not my intention.

If saying that helps you sleep at night, that's fine. I will tell you that in this field, it definitely does. Most of you simply want to deny certain facts because they are uncomfortable. I spoke to the 1 female fellow that I know, who has great credentials, many similar to mine, and she told me she had a bear of a time getting interviews and suffered quite the cold shoulder during her interview time. She also even told me - there were several places where I interviewed where it was evident that they had no interest in having me there but rather it was more like a quota type thing - this is her talking to me. She also told me that she felt I was a great candidate given my background and credentials, and to apply and all, but to be ready to feel like the lone person out. She also told me that she was the only woman in most of her interviews. There may be some women in pain, I'm not saying there are none - but the percentage is tiny.

That's one of the reasons why I have not been able to find female attendings/mentors in most programs that I have looked that are within a reasonable distance. Are we all saying that Pain is full of female practitioners? I know it may be an uncomfortable truth, but it's just the way it is. It's not surprising - most procedural specialties are male dominated - same thing happens in IR, Ortho, Gen surg, etc.

I have at this point decided to go ahead and apply to ACGME programs and if not I'll stick with my non-ACGME program. But denying reality bothers me. I guess I'll be on my way. I'm sorry I've made you all uncomfortable, not my intention.
Don't worry you will be singing kumbaya mixed in with Rachel patten's "fight song" after Tuesday. That should make you feel a little better

How come stim hasnt asked for her to post her pic yet?
I think youre confusing me with club or bedrock... they're single, I'm just a simple deplorable with 3 kids...

As for being ostracized in Med school/residency, many a attending would slam other fields, ones work ethic, attitude, skill, etc. I'd just ignore it and do your best on exams, clinicals and find a couple legit attendings to help with research, letters etc. what medical center are you training at, can't imagine it's that bad...

Last edited:
Don't worry you will be singing kumbaya mixed in with Rachel patten's "fight song" after Tuesday. That should make you feel a little better

Im not sure what you mean. if you are suggesting I voted/will be voting for Hillary because Im a woman you are wrong. Ive already voted, and trust me when I tell you that it sure as heck wasn't for Hillary.

So you've decided that you are screwed because of this perceived gender discrimination. I'm sure it's all gender discrimination and not your attitude. Go ahead and play the victim despite not having been turned down yet. It's a self fulfilling prophecy. We've all seen it in candidates and directors can smell it from a mile away.

Doctors with personality disorders or an entitlement complex are wisely eschewed by pain program directors, since such candidates may make their lives hell, and they may be able to handle the inevitable psychopathology of pain patients.

So you've decided that you are screwed because of this perceived gender discrimination. I'm sure it's all gender discrimination and not your attitude. Go ahead and play the victim despite not having been turned down yet. It's a self fulfilling prophecy. We've all seen it in candidates and directors can smell it from a mile away.

You know, instead of addressing the statements I have made, you simply put me down. You clearly want to have no factual, objective discussion. It's not perceived. And I've given you factual examples of OTHER individuals who feel the same.

You have no interest of actually addressing anything I've said. It's simpler to just say you are crazy, you have some disorder, I'm playing victim.

Some people have provided objective statements. That is appreciated. You criticizing me, or telling me how I have disorders, etc without knowing ANYTHING about me, my accomplishments, my credentials, or any other objective data makes it pretty silly.

Why is it that you are unable to actually deal with any statement actually made? Let's see - i have given you concrete, factual examples, as well as other examples from other people.

So there is no "gender discrimination" - is that a FACT or is that your opinion? Just because you are dude and have not experienced it, how do you know others experience it or not? I have experienced it. Other women in this field have experienced it. Other women across Medicine experience it all the time - look at the other threads on here, look at the articles recently about women who were not believed to be physicians across different specialties, all the times women including myself are called "nurse" - including myself, this past week after seeing a patient, introducing myself as Dr. so and so, evaluating them, doing the procedure, and the attending coming in later. Patient - your nurse was great, she did a great job.

Again - if you want to discuss actual FACTS I'd be happy to do so. If you simply want to put me down, I have no interest in that, and that simply validates my point.

You need to face reality and stop wallowing in self pity. Perhaps you are as arrogant, irritating, and condescending to your attendings as you are on this forum. You have a chip on your shoulder a mile wild. Drop the attitude. Stop focusing on your stupid gender as the cause of all the ills of the world.

Yeah show me where a female physician makes less working the same hours/doing same procedures/geography/time off/breaks from training/etc.

Didn't realize Medicare pays RVUs based on male vs female anatomy for physicians. Please show me that in the CMS guidelines.

Also newsflash, most MEN didn't get the vote until about 100 years ago as well. Also, those men had to ENLIST in the selective service to OBTAIN the RIGHT to vote. What did women do to obtain that right?

If "nonwhite women" are so "discriminated against" in medicine, why are they admitted with FAR LOWER MCAT scores than their Asian/White male counterparts with an average discrepancy of >5 points in medical school matriculation rates?

Damn that "white male privilege" sounds awesome!

You know, instead of addressing the statements I have made, you simply put me down. You clearly want to have no factual, objective discussion. It's not perceived. And I've given you factual examples of OTHER individuals who feel the same.

You have no interest of actually addressing anything I've said. It's simpler to just say you are crazy, you have some disorder, I'm playing victim.

Some people have provided objective statements. That is appreciated. You criticizing me, or telling me how I have disorders, etc without knowing ANYTHING about me, my accomplishments, my credentials, or any other objective data makes it pretty silly.

Why is it that you are unable to actually deal with any statement actually made? Let's see - i have given you concrete, factual examples, as well as other examples from other people.

So there is no "gender discrimination" - is that a FACT or is that your opinion? Just because you are dude and have not experienced it, how do you know others experience it or not? I have experienced it. Other women in this field have experienced it. Other women across Medicine experience it all the time - look at the other threads on here, look at the articles recently about women who were not believed to be physicians across different specialties, all the times women including myself are called "nurse" - including myself, this past week after seeing a patient, introducing myself as Dr. so and so, evaluating them, doing the procedure, and the attending coming in later. Patient - your nurse was great, she did a great job.

Again - if you want to discuss actual FACTS I'd be happy to do so. If you simply want to put me down, I have no interest in that, and that simply validates my point.

There is no evidence of systemic "gender discrimination" except against Asian/White males in terms of medical school matriculation.

There is empirical evidence these cohorts require far higher MCAT scores than their "oppressed" female counterparts. Being a "non Asian minority female" is like hitting the jackpot in Affirmative Action in Obamaland.

Yeah so some patient called you a "nurse" once. If thats the worst thing you've experienced, you aren't oppressed.

In fact, objectively speaking, you have significant privilege when I look at the MCAT/USMLE discrepancies in obtaining medical school/residency positions.

Who said anything about disorders? Your examples are not facts of any sort. They are more pity stories of your perceived injustices.

Best of luck. You are going to need it.

:troll:

Also newsflash, most MEN didn't get the vote until about 100 years ago as well. Also, those men had to ENLIST in the selective service to OBTAIN the RIGHT to vote. What did women do to obtain that right?
http://www.scholastic.com/teachers/article/history-right-vote
States that had not already dropped the property requirement began to do so quickly. Rhode Island held out until 1888. But by the time of the Civil War, nearly every white man in the country — rich or poor, rural or urban — could go to the polls on Election Day.
In January 1919, the bill passed the Senate, and on August 26, 1920, after two-thirds of the states had ratified the 19th Amendment to the Constitution, women won the right to vote.
there is a 58 year gap between those 2 dates. and being a male, may i facetiously state that maybe having a male baby is doing something to obtain that right?

Yeah show me where a female physician makes less working the same hours/doing same procedures/geography/time off/breaks from training/etc.
Multiple studies have documented clear gender gap discrepancy, even when holding to same specialty, same hours, etc.
http://money.cnn.com/2016/04/21/news/doctors-gender-pay-gap/index.html

http://theincidentaleconomist.com/wordpress/physician-pay-gender-discrepancies/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/03/gender-gap-pay-gap-wideni_n_818071.html

OTOH, i agree. the poster is perseverating on her perception of discrimination, rather than focusing on overcoming or "ignoring" it and it will come out in her interviews at whichever program she interviews at. in a few months, she will be posting how there are no pain fellowship programs that will take her even though she believes she is imminently qualified... because shes a woman.

Last edited:

1) The "58 year gap" isn't so simple due to poll taxes and literacy tests put on various men (particularly non whites) who effectively weren't able to vote until the early 1900s like women.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voting_rights_in_the_United_States

Also, men had to ENLIST in selective service to obtain the RIGHT to vote. How come women never had this obligation? Sounds pretty oppressive that men have these obligations while women get the same exact rights without them. How come you don't push for selective service obligations for women? Kind've sexist huh?

2) None of those articles you listed gives the REASON for the supposed "gap" in wages. They just state that men make more money in various specialties.

No one is denying that fact. Men work longer hours, take less time off, see more patients, do more procedures, live in more undesirable locations, etc.

What we are DENYING is that women are being discriminated against. If a female physician works the same hours/same experience/same geography/same specialty/etc, is there a discrepancy. None of those article break it down.

This blog basically crushes these "studies" by feminists:

http://blog.capterra.com/gender-pay-gap-for-doctors/

Using your arguments, the reason that women do not have to register for selective service explains in part (Goldin admits that it may reduce the discrepancy but doesn't say it will eliminate it) the pay difference - motherhood and the flexibility needed to have children. I think that is a pretty necessary civil function...

FYI, hard to argue Selective Service was a requirement to vote before the 19th Amendment, when the Selective Service Act was passed only in 1917, not 1861...

And women are exempt because the military forces did not declare women combat eligible until 2013.

Using your arguments, the reason that women do not have to register for selective service explains in part (Goldin admits that it may reduce the discrepancy but doesn't say it will eliminate it) the pay difference - motherhood and the flexibility needed to have children. I think that is a pretty necessary civil function...

FYI, hard to argue Selective Service was a requirement to vote before the 19th Amendment, when the Selective Service Act was passed only in 1917, not 1861...

And women are exempt because the military forces did not declare women combat eligible until 2013.

Plenty of women don't have children though, especially in the cities. Why should they be exempt from selective service?

Oh wait I forgot, you feminists believe in "equality" on all the good things but never the "bad" stuff. Just leave that for the menz.

Lets also forget about the huge workplace death discrepancies, earlier death age for men due to stress/job hazards, higher suicide rate among men, etc.

Oh but please, keep crying to me about how some patient once called some physician female a "nurse"

Last edited:
All right, OP. I'll be straightforward.

The percentage of women in academic pain medicine is not a majority, but it is not tiny nationwide. Off the top of my head, I remember interviewing with 5 female PDs this year, and this was in all regions of the US - literally. Also, there were a least a fifth of female applicants on the trail. I've heard UC Irvine has an all-female team of attendings. In some areas it probably still is a boy's club, but by no means does this hold one back from great training opportunities. I am aware that gender issues are not fully absent in medicine, but I agree that at equal practice profiles we are one the few professions where salary does not discriminate against women. Yes, certain patients will call you "nurse". Rise above. Take a breath, gently and politely correct them and move on with your day.

Also, learn to read between the lines. Draw conclusions from the behaviors of people, not only what they write or tell you. If several attendings are not actively supporting you, it may not be all on them. Credentials and technical aptitude are not the be-all and end-all of getting hired in a competitve fellowship.

And lastly, do realize that while none of us know you personally, several of your comments on different threads of this forum display arrogance. Many of us here are presumably elder and more experienced than you, which is I gather why you seek advice here. But have enough insight as to why people do not respond well to many of your writings. And no, criticism does not mean you are a pathetic loser and that you're a waste a medical training, either. There is some middle ground and I hope you learn to look for it-that's how resilience is built.

Reactions: 2 users
All right, OP. I'll be straightforward.

The percentage of women in academic pain medicine is not a majority, but it is not tiny nationwide. Off the top of my head, I remember interviewing with 5 female PDs this year, and this was in all regions of the US - literally. Also, there were a least a fifth of female applicants on the trail. I've heard UC Irvine has an all-female team of attendings. In some areas it probably still is a boy's club, but by no means does this hold one back from great training opportunities. I am aware that gender issues are not fully absent in medicine, but I agree that at equal practice profiles we are one the few professions where salary does not discriminate against women. Yes, certain patients will call you "nurse". Rise above. Take a breath, gently and politely correct them and move on with your day.

Also, learn to read between the lines. Draw conclusions from the behaviors of people, not only what they write or tell you. If several attendings are not actively supporting you, it may not be all on them. Credentials and technical aptitude are not the be-all and end-all of getting hired in a competitve fellowship.

And lastly, do realize that while none of us know you personally, several of your comments on different threads of this forum display arrogance. Many of us here are presumably elder and more experienced than you, which is I gather why you seek advice here. But have enough insight as to why people do not respond well to many of your writings. And no, criticism does not mean you are a pathetic loser and that you're a waste a medical training, either. There is some middle ground and I hope you learn to look for it-that's how resilience is built.
Hope you get that fellowship spot ...