M1 Leave of Absence Corona

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jokerquinn08

Reaction score
Hey guys! New here. I wanted some advice on the situation I have found myself in. I recently was supposed to start medical school and I did for a few weeks but I had major medical issues arise that prevented me from continuing(mental that became physical). My school told me to start again next year( I still have my seat).

This has been extremly hard on me as I feel left out and a failure. I see a lot of my friends continuing and I feel like I failed myself. I try to comfort myself in that I will start again but then I keep scaring myself with the idea that I am not capable and I will fail. It seems like I go through this cycle every day and I am tired of it. I was supposed to start with my friends and we were gonna do this together. People try to comfort me in that it was probably for the best and that I can do things that I wasnt able to but for me nothing is the same as just starting now. I went straight from senior year of college to medical school so no gap year( I graduated a semester early). Im 22.

I wanted to see if anyone had any similar situations or any words of advice. This is the hardest thing that has happened to me and I know it might not be a big deal to everyone but to me it is. I appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You got sick!!! How are you a failure????

Talk to your family doctor. And get your mental health issues under 100% control before you embark upon this path. This is NOT giving medical advice!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys! New here. I wanted some advice on the situation I have found myself in. I recently was supposed to start medical school and I did for a few weeks but I had major medical issues arise that prevented me from continuing(mental that became physical). My school told me to start again next year( I still have my seat).

This has been extremly hard on me as I feel left out and a failure. I see a lot of my friends continuing and I feel like I failed myself. I try to comfort myself in that I will start again but then I keep scaring myself with the idea that I am not capable and I will fail. It seems like I go through this cycle every day and I am tired of it. I was supposed to start with my friends and we were gonna do this together. People try to comfort me in that it was probably for the best and that I can do things that I wasnt able to but for me nothing is the same as just starting now. I went straight from senior year of college to medical school so no gap year( I graduated a semester early). Im 22.

I wanted to see if anyone had any similar situations or any words of advice. This is the hardest thing that has happened to me and I know it might not be a big deal to everyone but to me it is. I appreciate any feedback. Thanks.
Lots of people reboot a year. Stay healthy

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Imagine you and all your friends/classmates as competitors in a Tour de France. Everyone is making progress to make it to the finish line. Now your bike wheel randomly gives out, out of no fault of your own, setting you back a bit, while your friends' and classmates bikes are still working. Is it annoying? Yeah, for sure. Should you blame yourself for it? Absolutely not.

Alternatively if you force yourself to study, you might be miserable and get worse marks than expected, which could cause you to retake classes and be set back again, but now with a failed class/classes on your record.

Med school is hard enough already, no need to make things harder imo.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Take care of your health first, especially with school being as weird as it is this year.

I can completely relate to your situation. I started medical school on July 20. I am a single mother of 5 year old twins. Due to the challenges with remote learning and regular childcare, including going through 2 nanny disasters, I just couldn't focus and decided to take a LOA. I failed MSK and feel completely defeated. I am scared to consider starting again next year when nobody knows what that will look like. It has been a depression like no other, to be honest. I am in therapy and trying to find a job to support my family. It is a very difficult time that I did not see coming.

I can completely relate to your situation. I started medical school on July 20. I am a single mother of 5 year old twins. Due to the challenges with remote learning and regular childcare, including going through 2 nanny disasters, I just couldn't focus and decided to take a LOA. I failed MSK and feel completely defeated. I am scared to consider starting again next year when nobody knows what that will look like. It has been a depression like no other, to be honest. I am in therapy and trying to find a job to support my family. It is a very difficult time that I did not see coming.
Thabk

Thank you for sharing this with me. I am comforting myself with the fact that it is only a year and that when we do start again we have a drive like no other since we saw what happened when we lost it. We will get through this.

Thabk

Thank you for sharing this with me. I am comforting myself with the fact that it is only a year and that when we do start again we have a drive like no other since we saw what happened when we lost it. We will get through this.

Thank you for the kind words. I actually haven't told many people yet, still grieving. I am hoping you are right! I know that I am personally scared to return as a mom with a lot going on. I just figure I've worked so hard to get in. What are you planning on doing in the interim?

Thank you for the kind words. I actually haven't told many people yet, still grieving. I am hoping you are right! I know that I am personally scared to return as a mom with a lot going on. I just figure I've worked so hard to get in. What are you planning on doing in the interim?

No problem. I am currently getting some counseling help. It is sort of helping. I am currently applying to jobs and hoping for a good source income for this year. Also possibly some research. I have a paper I need to start writing so can try to finish that. I think keeping ourselves busy is super important. If left alone with my own thoughts I found that I just get worse.

No problem. I am currently getting some counseling help. It is sort of helping. I am currently applying to jobs and hoping for a good source income for this year. Also possibly some research. I have a paper I need to start writing so can try to finish that. I think keeping ourselves busy is super important. If left alone with my own thoughts I found that I just get worse.
Just take one day at a time. I find that's really all I can do when I get totally overwhelmed and maybe that's all we have anyway! You will get through this! If you need support, you can reach out to me anytime. I wish you all the best! :)