What do you do during the summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

numbersloth

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you do during your summers? I'm especially looking for perspectives from humanities majors :)

Members don't see this ad.

I worked every summer (and had since I was 15). I was a camp counselor for four years which actually ended up becoming a big part of my personal statement and I was definitely asked about it at interviews. During other summers I did work with EMR at a primary care office and was also an office assistant for a small health-related business. You learn a lot more about responsibility/big picture than when you just volunteer.

Summer after freshman year: worked at Home Depot
Summer after sophomore year: took Physics, went to Europe with my family, started my study abroad in South America
Summer after junior year: research
Summer after senior year: worked in an ice cream store

None of that was medically related at all.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Summer before freshman year: Chemistry and humanities classes, work
Summer before sophomore year: Econ and humanities class, EMT class, work full time in toll booth so I got some time to study on the job
This summer: Biochem (6-week) and study for MCAT, work 1 shift a week, take MCAT before fall semester, possibly try to get some more non-clinical volunteering hours if I don't feel overwhelmed.

Reactions: 1 user
Summer after freshman year: Worked as a CNA at a nursing home, traveled to ME with family

Summer after sophomore year: Stayed at my school and did research and volunteered, traveled to ME with family

This upcoming summer: Will probably do research at school again, but might also pick up a part time job as a patient care technician at a local hospital. Might be traveling to NC with family and might get the chance to go to D.C.

I love the idea of applying to summer programs, but I wouldn't be able to go on vacation with my family if I did, plus I can be more productive in my own lab.