What do YOU do while volunteering in a hospital?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well. When I volunteer, I get to do everything I do as a RN, but not getting paid. I usually volunteer at the free clinic, and give vaccinations, assist in well-woman exams, triage/dispo patients. I also get to play "pharm tech", our facility has medicines that is granted by the state, so when they write a prescription, I am able to fill them if we have them in the facility. I technically dont "volunteer" at a "Hospital", but that's what my volunteering consists of. At the hosptial, I just work... lol
 
I volunteered at a free clinic for two and a half years and I basically reviewed patient apps, notified patients that their medications had arrived, did some greeting and other administrative stuff. The thing I remeber most was upon notifiying the arrival of their medications many patients would thank me over the phone which made what I did feel rewarding.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I volunteer at the children's hospital and it's actually a lot of fun. My particular assignment is with child life so after I check in I grab the pager and an updated patient list and go visit any of the kids that are on priority. Typically we read, play games or otherwise entertain the little ones but sometimes the nurses will let you help with things like bottle feeding infants etc. Sometimes you just have to ask! I love it and it's making me pretty certain I want to do peds in the future.
 
My position is somewhere between actually administering treatment and scut work. I rarely have to do things like fetch water or restock, but on the other hand I am forbidden from touching the patients.

My adolescent mental ward position is still amazing.

My job description is literally to hang out with the kids and "model good behavior." I'm basically a camp counsellor. I play card games, make small talk, alert the staff to shenanigans (yes, the kids do try to hook up), assist with arts and crafts and "life skills" therapy. It's non-stop patient interaction, but it's very similar to any camp or daycare. The kids range from normal to a little strange, and they're discouraged from talking about their problems to non-staff. I started the position to check the box, but I've grown to really love it.
 
My position is somewhere between actually administering treatment and scut work. I rarely have to do things like fetch water or restock, but on the other hand I am forbidden from touching the patients.

My adolescent mental ward position is still amazing.

My job description is literally to hang out with the kids and "model good behavior." I'm basically a camp counsellor. I play card games, make small talk, alert the staff to shenanigans (yes, the kids do try to hook up), assist with arts and crafts and "life skills" therapy. It's non-stop patient interaction, but it's very similar to any camp or daycare. The kids range from normal to a little strange, and they're discouraged from talking about their problems to non-staff. I started the position to check the box, but I've grown to really love it.

Wow sounds like an awesome experience! I'm a bit jealous 😛 I found that I enjoyed myself the most when talking to various patients and listening to their stories. I realize even some of the more "hostile" ones or ones that seem "annoying" to the staff were usually just lonely, bored and frustrated. Talking to them gets the frustration out, and you learn about some pretty cool things along the way as well as gain some new perspective. It's a huge waste of potential experience and time to not try and be proactive and see what you can do.
 
I volunteer in the Surgical Department so I watch surgeries and help the Nurses, Docs, etc with pre and post Op preparations.
 
In my opinion, hospital volunteering is the greatest thing you can do for a typical pre-med. This assumes a "typical" college student who previously wasn't involved in significant volunteer work before becoming pre-med (true altruism is rare).

Ultimately, hospital volunteering is what you make of it, since it's kind of like Vegas (minus 99% of the fun). If ADCOMs end up verifying your experience, then they will ask if you completed the said amount of hours. They won't know about your actual performance at the hospital, unless there's that highly unlikely possibility that the volunteer director is friends with the ADCOM you're interviewing with. Therefore, most people will naturally embellish their experiences.

As for my personal experience, it mirrors what most of you have said. Over the few hundred hours I accumulated before gaining admission, I did have a few nice moments here and there (which was all I needed for the PS and interview), but mostly did scut work while being bossed around by the techs. But hey, I was happy because it was only four hours per week, which allowed me to spend time doing things I actually enjoyed while studying for my classes and the very important MCAT.

With this said, hospital volunteering has something for everyone. If you are really passionate about what you're doing and want to make a difference, then you can become proactive and just about become an honorary member of the hospital team! Are you just checking off a box to get into medical school? Then you can do the minimal amount of stuff that's asked for you, and then spend the rest of your time studying or doing whatever you'd like!

People like hospital volunteering because you can kill numerous birds with one stone. It's great when you can check off both the clinical experience plus volunteering boxes at the same time, all while doing something that involves a minimal commitment. But, depending on what you want, you can kill more than two birds! You can kill a third bird with one stone if you decide to shadow a physician during your volunteer time. You can even kill a fourth bird with one stone if you decide to spend your volunteer hours studying for classes or the MCAT. It sucks that you're not getting paid, but ultimately, you're paying a price for this convenience.

I know that people think that they should do paid entry-level clinical work, but in my opinion, it's not worth it. Entry-level clinical work will pay you, which is nice, but the money is pocket change compared to what you'd make as a physician. These jobs require a serious time commitment. If you manage to blow your grades and MCAT and are forced to take an extra year to do an SMP or improve your application some other way, you're missing out on way more money than you'd ever earn doing this job. Since these jobs are so common, they won't set you apart.

As you all know @LizzyM , she says that if you can smell the patient, it's clinical experience. She didn't say that if you can lance the patient, put an IV in the patient, clean the patient, take the patient's blood pressure, etc (and the list goes on and on) it's clinical experience. Hospital volunteering is seriously all you need. There's no need to learn a skillset that you're unlikely to ever use once you get into medical school. Therefore, hospital volunteering will do everything you need with such a small time commitment. Use the time you save (versus entry-level clinical work) and do things that matter most to you, like improving your stats or MCAT (since ECs won't make up for a poor applicant). The experience in itself can range from horrible to amazing. But for most part, it's up to you to make it what it is. And don't forget why you're here. You're here to get into medical school, not to become the next Mother Teresa. So think wisely, and remember...

What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas. 😉
Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but this reply needs to be framed, stickied and memorized. Thank you SDN! What great insight into volunteering.

Pre-meds, pay attention.
 
How often do you find yourself with nothing to do?

I find that after I take 15 minutes to restock everything on my floor, and 15 minutes to make coffee, there isn't really much else left to do for the remaining 2.5 hours. Once in a while, a patient rings the bell thing, and asks for stuff like water. But other than that, I found myself sitting down browsing web through my phone for 30 minutes, and reading a magazine for another 20, and walking around the hospital for another half hour, etc.

Is this typical for hospital volunteers? Or are most of you busy every minute of your shift doing something productive?
Depends what location, which hospital and what unit.

In my undergrad, I volunteered in ER. There were so many volunteers that they only gave out 2-hour shifts and paired volunteers. I got 8-10pm shift and stayed until 6am all the time on Saturdays. I almost never had even 10 minutes of down time. I had a great experience. I have helped residents and docs with patients doing actual work. It was awesome.
I have helped clean wounds, put bones back in place and tissues and placed casts. I was treated like EMT in half a year without formal training. I was getting trauma rooms ready for incoming patients setting up the equipment, tables and etc.
 
Depends what location, which hospital and what unit.

In my undergrad, I volunteered in ER. There were so many volunteers that they only gave out 2-hour shifts and paired volunteers. I got 8-10pm shift and stayed until 6am all the time on Saturdays. I almost never had even 10 minutes of down time. I had a great experience. I have helped residents and docs with patients doing actual work. It was awesome.
I have helped clean wounds, put bones back in place and tissues and placed casts. I was treated like EMT in half a year without formal training. I was getting trauma rooms ready for incoming patients setting up the equipment, tables and etc.
Ooooo... was this right as you started or did it take a while to get to that point?
 
Ooooo... was this right as you started or did it take a while to get to that point?
It took a while. Everyone was getting only 2-hour shifts and all you do in 2 hours is stock carts, clean rooms, and bring patients water and warm blankets and such.

From what I heard later that during the days and during Mon-Fri everything was more formal. During the week there was a lot less to do. Not knowing, I picked the best shift for the experience. Since on the weekends more staff happens like partying, people go hunting, swimming and so on. On the weekend it was normal for people to wait in the hallway for hours to get help. That's how busy it was.

Since I started from 8-10pm until 6am Sunday morning, I have seen more and was treated differently. I did more and have seen more.

I have seen anywhere from severe intoxication, gun shot wounds to sticking out bones and fully cut body because of jumping through the glass window and regular car and motorcycle accidents.

Recently I volunteered at Peds ER in different state, and like OP described I was often around with anything to do. Often we only had 1-4 patients in. I just found more things to do to clean it restock, but I would not be on my phone for sure.
 
It took a while. Everyone was getting only 2-hour shifts and all you do in 2 hours is stock carts, clean rooms, and bring patients water and warm blankets and such.

From what I heard later that during the days and during Mon-Fri everything was more formal. During the week there was a lot less to do. Not knowing, I picked the best shift for the experience. Since on the weekends more staff happens like partying, people go hunting, swimming and so on. On the weekend it was normal for people to wait in the hallway for hours to get help. That's how busy it was.

Since I started from 8-10pm until 6am Sunday morning, I have seen more and was treated differently. I did more and have seen more.

I have seen anywhere from severe intoxication, gun shot wounds to sticking out bones and fully cut body because of jumping through the glass window and regular car and motorcycle accidents.

Recently I volunteered at Peds ER in different state, and like OP described I was often around with anything to do. Often we only had 1-4 patients in. I just found more things to do to clean it restock, but I would not be on my phone for sure.
I work during the evening from 5 PM to 9 PM on Thursdays but am thinking of changing to Fridays since it would probably be more activity. Even then, there is still a lot of activity and opportunity to observe nurses and physician do their work, which is the important part I feel like.