What do you do with your MPH and/or PhD/DrPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arc5005

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've read a few forum posts on what others do, but I'm trying to get an even better idea of what people do with their MPH and/or their PhD/DrPH.

Let me know what you do or what you know other people do/have done with their degrees career-wise. I'm interested in what people do in various specialties.

Academic, industry, policy, etc...

Members don't see this ad.

This is a very broad question, and you may find more useful information in previous threads or by searching online.

PhDs oftentimes enter academia, whether as tenure-track professors or post-docs. I've also seen PhDs in government at the CDC. Academia is fiercely competition and you won't be guaranteed a job as a professor. MPHs work all over the place: I've seen them at the CDC, HHS, and even WHO. But just having an MPH itself won't be useful compared to the people and connections you make. MPHs can also work as epidemiologists, with local or state public health departments, or NGOs.

You may find this video useful:

Reactions: 1 user
I do not have mine yet, but my goal is to work at either the CDC or the NIH.

I'm only just now going through the application process to get my MPH, but in the long run I would love to end up working with the CDC or WHO.