What do you do...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shrami

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you do when your final grade in a class is an 89? How do you persuade a prof to make it an A, or would you just leave it like that?

Members don't see this ad.

Shrami said:
What do you do when your final grade in a class is an 89? How do you persuade a prof to make it an A, or would you just leave it like that?

Talk to the professor (or the TA, if available). Ask about a potential curve, argue some points, etc. It depends, I've never personally had a grade bumped up, but I've heard of it happening once in a while. The one time I was at an 89.x %, the professor was a b**** and wouldn't do anything for me. I even had valid arguments to some problems on her tests that she never gave me points for. Ugh... that woman makes me sooo mad :mad:

Last I heard an A is over 92.

Members don't see this ad :)
Shrami said:
What do you do when your final grade in a class is an 89?

Deal with it.

bkpa2med said:
Last I heard an A is over 92.

In general? I've always found that most professors have the following grading scale unless the class is ridiculously easy...

90-100 A
80-89 B
70-79 C
60-69 D
0-59 F

Then there is the concept of curves, some profs making the A's 89-100 to keep people from bitching, etc.

I read this totally wrong. I thought you said "what to do if you get an 89" to which my response is REJOICE! You got a pretty decent grade, and it isn't a C. One more class done. WOO HOO. Here, have a daiquiri.

The title of this thread make me think of that catchy commercial campagne years ago for Klondike bars. Remember "What would you doooo for a Klondike bar?"

Well, I always thought the tune was catchy...

I think you should threaten to disclose to the university the secret affair you had. Tell him you're having his baby.

I am thinking on one of my classes i will simply go to my professor and ask if he will take into consideration my perfect attendance and participation in the class for my 89 and see if it will get rolled up to an A.

BrettBatchelor said:
Thirded. Much worse to get a dreaded 92 A-.

4th

**Dunno about your prof, but I've had them (in small classes) that say if you're borderline, showed up to class, participated, performed consistently etc, they might round up as a reward for your efforts, but not to expect it & not to ask b/c then they def wont

What's so wrong w/ an 89, unless of course it was in a stupid easy class like "computer operating systems" where they teach you how to use powerpoint/ms word/etc, then seppuku is your only option

bugmenot said:
Deal with it.

quinlupleted or pentawhatever

The grading scale says you earned a B. Did you want an A? Should have got a 90.

PariPari said:
4th

**Dunno about your prof, but I've had them (in small classes) that say if you're borderline, showed up to class, participated, performed consistently etc, they might round up as a reward for your efforts, but not to expect it & not to ask b/c then they def wont

What's so wrong w/ an 89, unless of course it was in a stupid easy class like "computer operating systems" where they teach you how to use powerpoint/ms word/etc, then seppuku is your only option

seppuku huh. are you taking history of japan-age of the samurai as well, or are you just a huge nerd?

Reimat said:
The title of this thread make me think of that catchy commercial campagne years ago for Klondike bars. Remember "What would you doooo for a Klondike bar?"

Well, I always thought the tune was catchy...

I could go for a klondike bar right now. And yes, the tune was catchy.