What do you eat in Pharmacy School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharMed2016

Eternal Scholar
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, with all these serious topics out there - I figure we revisit the time honored question of what pharmacy/professional students eat. :rolleyes:

For myself, I've been living off of cereal for breakfast most days, whatever for lunch (DQ or Chipotle - fast food), and pasta with divalo sauce + cheese and some chicken for dinner most days. I won't go near ramen since I had a little too much of that when I started. :D

Oh and a multivitamin to help with whatever I'm not getting in my diet. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

I learned a bad habit in Pharmacy School...when I was a P1...this P4 I looked up to was always walking around with a big ass coffee mug... then he said... dood..you need to get coffee beans, grind it and fresh brew every morning to start the day.

That was 20 years ago and I still follow that regimen daily. And every pharmacy I worked at..there should be a braun bean grinder hanging around in the break room...as I tend to just leave it there and get a new one whenever I move to a new job.

I try to eat whatever I want as long as it's healthy and doesn't lead to MI or atherosclerosis.

My parents say to spend what I want on healthy foods and try not to eat just cheap food only, because the money you might save isn't worth getting sick.

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright, with all these serious topics out there - I figure we revisit the time honored question of what pharmacy/professional students eat. :rolleyes:

For myself, I've been living off of cereal for breakfast most days, whatever for lunch (DQ or Chipotle - fast food), and pasta with divalo sauce + cheese and some chicken for dinner most days. I won't go near ramen since I had a little too much of that when I started. :D

No! Save your money! That's one thing I really try to drive home with our techs, admin, hourly staff. They all stop at starbucks in the AM and order delivery every day, and throw a good hour or two's wages down the drain. Such a waste! Every day it's "what are we doing today? Chinese? Potbelly? Quiznos?"

Then you see the pharmacists bring in a loaf of bread and cold cuts, PB&J to last a week.

No! Save your money! That's one thing I really try to drive home with our techs, admin, hourly staff. They all stop at starbucks in the AM and order delivery every day, and throw a good hour or two's wages down the drain. Such a waste! Every day it's "what are we doing today? Chinese? Potbelly? Quiznos?"

Then you see the pharmacists bring in a loaf of bread and cold cuts, PB&J to last a week.

What are you..now their financial manager?

Excellent topic I hope students on here read.

I ate pure junk in school, whatever was cheap and filling, and I gained about 100lbs in about 6 and 1/2 years. The post above is right, it's not worth it, if your gonna splurge on one thing while in school, make it good food. I've lost about 70 of it and working on it still, but it's one thing I wish I could go back and change.

So eat like a poor person and continue to do so after graduating?

Sometimes in the cafeteria, it actually costs more to eat healthy food, and I can save money eating greasy fast food. Not exactly a good incentive there.

I learned a bad habit in Pharmacy School...when I was a P1...this P4 I looked up to was always walking around with a big ass coffee mug... then he said... dood..you need to get coffee beans, grind it and fresh brew every morning to start the day.

That was 20 years ago and I still follow that regimen daily. And every pharmacy I worked at..there should be a braun bean grinder hanging around in the break room...as I tend to just leave it there and get a new one whenever I move to a new job.

My baby :love:

dgb-900bc.jpg

LOL, the techs laugh at me every Monday, show up with a gallon of milk and my salad stuff for the week.

Looks too complicated with potentially breakable parts.

My Krups espresso/coffee maker is 18 years old.. I bet I could just pour water in it without coffee...and it'll drip coffee out.

I eat pb&j's all the time. I spent 5 dollars eating out the entire week last week. I would rather save the money and spend it on something else (or use it to pay off the truck.)

I take all of my lunches and make my dinners at home. It makes it a real treat when I get to go out and eat, kind of like an adventure.

Members don't see this ad :)
Breakfast: cup of coffee, granola bar or bowl of cereal + non-fat milk, and a piece of fruit (usually banana or orange). Sometimes I have yogurt instead of the granola bar.

This is after an hour work out at the gym.

Lunch: whatever but I try to eat "healthy", Chipotle isn't that bad and I like to share with people so I don't eat an entire burrito bowl by myself. I always choose black beans over pinto and get chicken over the other stuff, Subway, a salad from the cafe, or I don't eat lunch. I will eat a piece of fruit or two.

Dinner: whatever the gf makes for me or whatever we have when we go out. She likes to make fish and seafood type stuff, lots of veggies or salads. When we go out, we have Pho or ethnic foods. We usually share portions so we don't eat a whole lot.

Desserts: sometimes some cookies from Paradise Bakery or a piece of cheesecake or something but not everyday.

Even with working out and eating alright, it is hard to stay in shape. When I was working 40 hours a week, it was much easier since I was running around all day.

Lunch: whatever but I try to eat "healthy", Chipotle isn't that bad and I like to share with people so I don't eat an entire burrito bowl by myself. I always choose black beans over pinto and get chicken over the other stuff, Subway, a salad from the cafe, or I don't eat lunch. I will eat a piece of fruit or two.

I think I'm off of Chipotle for awhile. It's all I've been eating for lunch for the last week or so ever since they had the coupon deal (buy one get one). Seriously gave me acid reflux but soooo worth it. :laugh:

Now time for my fifth cup of poison (tea).

I love my Keurig!

I hate the smell of coffee grinds...

I've gotten into frozen meals. I always get the Weight Watchers or Lean Cuisine ones...they do have a lot of sodium (about 25% DV) but since that is almost my entire lunch I figure it is about 1/3 of my DV and that is about right. It is also usually between 250 and 350 calories, but filling...and the WW are under 2 bucks each! MUCH cheaper than eating out. I just microwave it in our lounge. I also bring a diet pop and either applesauce or fruit cup (no added sugar). My whole lunch is under 3 bucks and I am always full.

I don't really eat breakfast. I do put away coffee every day, which I brew at home (of course). I do meet up with other students at Starbucks sometimes to study when I buy coffee, but that's less than once a week - so not too expensive.

Dinner? I dont know. I feel like I don't eat dinner that much. If I do, I make something easy like mac and cheese or soup. I feel like I eat decently healthily. The only reason I now pack a lunch EVERY DAY is because I stopped trying to make myself eat foods I don't like. I realized I hate sandwiches so when I stopped trying to make myself pack "traditional" lunch foods I did much better and stopped going to fast food places! :)

Before I got married, we used to go out to lunch every day. My wife put a halt to that habit.

When my lunch buddy asked me why I stopped going out for lunch, I broke it down for him.
$8 per day plus tip, 5 days per week. $40 per week. $160 per month.
Didn't need to get past $40 per week before he said, Holy crap, its expensive to go out to lunch every day. It did not change his habit of going out to eat every day.

Down side, since I did not leave the plant, I was always available and constantly had my lunch interupted.

What did I eat? Whatever we had for dinner the night before. Early on, I ate a lot of sausage and kraut (Since I had all the left-overs, she had something different and new), but I am not bitter.

Last edited:
Breakfast: cereal (Special K Fruit & Yogurt) with skim milk
Lunch: lean pocket with chips (baked or Sun), lean cuisine pizza, or lean cuisine flatbread
Dinner: cold cut sandwich and salad
Occasional snack: apple with pb
Drink: water throughout the day

Eat out once a week to treat myself. A bunch of my friends eat out every day and they spend about the same as the poster above. Seems like a bad idea on a tech's pay.

Ewwww!

Well, if you want my best coffee, I'll be using my tried and true...

Moka.jpg

We use our mocha pot everymorning. It's just as fast as drip and faster than using a French press. Plus, with fresh beans it makes the best coffee ever. So, it's either that or a large Tim hortons.

I pack my lunch most of the time at work. Way cheaper and way healthier than take out

Last edited:
I've gotten into frozen meals. I always get the Weight Watchers or Lean Cuisine ones...they do have a lot of sodium (about 25% DV) but since that is almost my entire lunch I figure it is about 1/3 of my DV and that is about right. It is also usually between 250 and 350 calories, but filling...and the WW are under 2 bucks each! MUCH cheaper than eating out.

Would be nice if they made something like "health watchers", pretty healthy like the weight watchers dishes are, but maybe 2 times the calories, for close to the same price. Otherwise, no way one of those things are gonna fill me up, and eating 2 is close to the price of eating out. Lean pockets are pretty cheap when they're on sale. Sometimes they're a box for 2 bucks. Of course I eat both of the lean pockets in the box, but a lunch for 2 bucks isn't bad.

Top secret retail pharmacy eating tip. I get an Uncle Ben's. Rice bowl and a packet of salmon or tuna and put them together. Pretty filling and decently healthy. You don't need to eat two like lean cuisine or WW.

Biggest problem I'm having in Pharm school so far : eating enough (have lost 8 lbs since I started)

Breakfast: 2 raw eggs (yes, raw =P), fruit and one/two cups of coffee

Lunch: Various types of sandwiches with granola bars and chips, mix in some snacks.

Dinner: whatever the cafe is serving, which is never good.

Try to snack in between but its impossible to get enough cals for me. Was once on a 3000+ cal/day diet to gain wieght and didnt gain a pound after 2-3 weeks. Must be one of those "fast metabolizers"

Would love any tips for weight gaining...never see those types of tips...only the losing part haha

Cheers!

I don't drink coffee often (only 2-3x/wk) but when I do I drink Classico instant coffee. It's quick, easy, and tastes decent. Only complaint I have is that it's weak on the caffeine content.

For food, I try to eat a balanced diet. If I eat fast food one meal, I try to eat an extra healthy meal the next. If I eat a healthy meal, then I can splurge on dessert the next time. The big problem with me is that I have a HUGE appetite so food gets expensive. My average daily caloric intake is 3300. I'm 5'8" and only 140 pounds.

all kinds of pizza from organization meetings
Wendy's on campus
junk food
instant meals
occasionally eat out
occasionally cook myself

We use our mocha pot everymorning. It's just as fast as drip and faster than using a French press. Plus, with fresh beans it makes the best coffee ever. So, it's either that or a large Tim hortons.

I pack my lunch most of the time at work. Way cheaper and way healthier than take out
French press >> Moka pot >> Drip

I alternate between my french press and my espresso machine. During my last break from school, I restored an espresso machine. Cost $100 for the machine (sat in a garage of someone for 5+ years) and $300 in parts from Australia. But after roasting my own coffee, my lattes cost less than a dollar to make vs $4 at sbux.

I eat out for breakfast, lunch and dinner... I don't have time to cook! :eek:

French press and Moka pot are 2 different types of coffee, they are probably about equal in my mind. If I want to sit around and lounge I'll do French Press and drink a bunch. If I'm going to work and need to take a thermos or I want something stronger then I do Moka. It's also fun to make your own foamed milk (in the microwave) and make tasty cappuccinos with the moka pot.

caffeine pills, ramen, cheetos, malt liquor

microwave meals.

i've lost 15lbs in pharmacy school so far :( sometimes its hard to afford food

breakfast: malt liquor , half a bag of cheetos

lunch: skip

dinner: 2 ramen bowls, couple of malt liquors, possibly burger king dollar menu

Last edited:
Thai food, Japanesse food, I love all Asian foods. :)

Mexican or American food? YUCK! LOL...

i've lost 15lbs in pharmacy school so far :( sometimes its hard to afford food

You have mention several times on this forum that you find it hard to afford food etc. However you also mentioned that you are taking out a lot of student loans AND you have a job.

How can someone that is taking out a lot of student loans AND have a job have problems affording food? :confused: All the people that I know that are taking out the max in student loans are eating very well. LOL...

You have mention several times on this forum that you find it hard to afford food etc. However you also mentioned that you are taking out a lot of student loans AND you have a job.

How can someone that is taking out a lot of student loans AND have a job have problems affording food? :confused: All the people that I know that are taking out the max in student loans are eating very well. LOL...

well, most of my loans are donated to charity, the rest goes towards my alcoholism

i do not currently have a job. i was laid off due to the economy

well, most of my loans are donated to charity, the rest goes towards my alcoholism

i do not currently have a job. i was laid off due to the economy

What? You are kidding right? lol....

If you are serious then please keep your loans and buy some REAL food. LOL... Your HEALTH is most important. Don't eat processed foods, only fresh organic foods will do.

I have never heard of anyone taking out loans to donate to charity. Donate to charity if you are rich, but don't do it if you don't have any food to eat.

What? You are kidding right? lol....

If you are serious then please keep your loans and buy some REAL food. LOL... Your HEALTH is most important. Don't eat processed foods, only fresh organic foods will do.

I have never heard of anyone taking out loans to donate to charity. Donate to charity if you are rich, but don't do it if you don't have any food to eat.

by charity he means buying drinks for girls and help people forget their life!!

Anything home-made Paleo-style with the exception of the occasional Black Truffle Oil pizza and Doner Kebap (Try finding this near you, best street food on earth).

I call BS. Cook all your meals on sunday for the week. Throw in to Tupperware. Start living cheaper and healthier. :thumbup:

I did that once, and I got so sick that I wanted to vomit.

I had an awesome italian sandwich today for free and then we got 20 dolar gift cards to Target for being reserach participants.

Anything home-made Paleo-style with the exception of the occasional Black Truffle Oil pizza and Doner Kebap (Try finding this near you, best street food on earth).

I love Doner kebap! None in this part of the country though, but shawarma is pretty close.

I had an awesome italian sandwich today for free and then we got 20 dolar gift cards to Target for being reserach participants.

Sold yourself for medical research. Nice!!!:laugh:

I alternate between my french press and my espresso machine. During my last break from school, I restored an espresso machine. Cost $100 for the machine (sat in a garage of someone for 5+ years) and $300 in parts from Australia. But after roasting my own coffee, my lattes cost less than a dollar to make vs $4 at sbux.

Don't let him lie to you, he actually started restoring his espresso machine during finals.

At home..
PB&J
Deli Cut Ham sandwich
Deli Cut Turkey sandwich
Deli Cut Ham + Turkey sandwich
Hard Boiled Eggs (especially post workout)
Protein Shakes
Scrambled Eggs
Cereal
Special K Bars
Nutri-grain Bars
Chicken Breast/Legs cooked via oven or George F. Grill
Fruits/veggie from the local supermarket
roommates Vietnamese food

Eating out...
Subway
Wawa Deli
Chipotle
Qdoba
Small "hole in the wall" restaurants that are affordable/offer student discounts
Chinese/Vietnamese food
pizza
potbelly
5-guys burgers
various assortments of decent-upper end restaurants for special purposes (post midterms, finals, b-days, etc)

Biggest problem I'm having in Pharm school so far : eating enough (have lost 8 lbs since I started)

Breakfast: 2 raw eggs (yes, raw =P), fruit and one/two cups of coffee

Lunch: Various types of sandwiches with granola bars and chips, mix in some snacks.

Dinner: whatever the cafe is serving, which is never good.

Try to snack in between but its impossible to get enough cals for me. Was once on a 3000+ cal/day diet to gain wieght and didnt gain a pound after 2-3 weeks. Must be one of those "fast metabolizers"

Would love any tips for weight gaining...never see those types of tips...only the losing part haha

Cheers!

Drink a gallon, yes a gallon of whole milk every day along with your usual diet. GNC sells these powders to make shakes. Each shake is usually 1200 calories.

Drink a gallon, yes a gallon of whole milk every day along with your usual diet. GNC sells these powders to make shakes. Each shake is usually 1200 calories.

I used to drink a half gallon a day, until I realized shortly after that I'm lactose intolerant. Then I realized I can't eat lots of other foods too. Impossible for me to gain any weight now.