what do you guys think my chances are?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roflhouse

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm getting pretty nervous waiting around for optomcas to finally mail my app even though my gpa has been verified so i'd thought i'd ask what everyone here thinks my chances are.

OAT first try: AA: 300 TS: 290
OAT second try: AA: 330 TS: 340

Science GPA: 2.99
Non-science: 2.90
Overall: 2.93

extracurriculars: treasurer of a pre-optometry club and i volunteer at the events we organize. prior work experience was 3 years at a bank.

Members don't see this ad.

You will have no problem getting into most of new schools and few established ones with over hundred seats. It is not that hard to get into optometry school anyways. As long as you get a 200k loan you can become an optometrist.

You will have no problem getting into most of new schools and few established ones with over hundred seats. It is not that hard to get into optometry school anyways. As long as you get a 200k loan you can become an optometrist.

Exactly, everyone with a pulse nowadays can get federal loans and be a slave to them for the next 10, 20, 30 years. Its what they want :) Sadly, only about 10-20% of your classmates will be successful starting out as they have their education paid by their parents, their savings or the military. The rest will take many years to catch up.

With your grades you might get into a few schools but don't expect to be looked at kindly by private practice doctors after you graduate or residency programs. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)

You talk as if you are top student. I wonder what easy optometry schools you are talking about! The admission just the begining. You are not gonna get out of school without studying your ass off!

You make so many negative comments about optometry and act like you know so much already. I really wonder why you have "pre-optometry" status if you already hate optometry and think it's such a joke.

You talk as if you are top student. I wonder what easy optometry schools you are talking about! The admission just the begining. You are not gonna get out of school without studying your ass off!

How does a 96th percentile score on OAT and 70K scholarship from UAB sound to you? Just interviewed at UC Berkeley two weeks ago. Anything else you want to know?
Newer schools don't attract best applicants, established schools with fewer seats do. They are willing to accept students with lower academic record to get the ball rolling. The question was did he or she have a chance to get accepted with those stas and the answer was "Yes". Why be so sensitive to what is true?

You make so many negative comments about optometry and act like you know so much already. I really wonder why you have "pre-optometry" status if you already hate optometry and think it's such a joke.

I forgot to change my status but I did it now to make you happy. What else can I say or do to make you feel better. I am sorry if I am not holding hands with everyone else and singing kumbaya, I am just a bit realistic then most students here.

Seriously just because you have such good grades you dont have to be so stuck up about it. Some people really have a passion for this and maybe things happened out of their control:
Like me for example I came to college and had a hard time transitioning i didnt really meet anyone until half way through my 2nd semester so i was depressed all the time and my grades suffered. Then first semester my 2nd year my uncle passed away and i had to go home and missed 4 exams and ended up having to take them unprepared and in the matter of 2 days. My grades since then have been in the 3.2-3.5 range but because of those first 3 semester my grades faltered.

I forgot to change my status but I did it now to make you happy. What else can I say or do to make you feel better. I am sorry if I am not holding hands with everyone else and singing kumbaya, I am just a bit realistic then most students here.

q1we3, are you entering for the C/O 2016?

i'm getting pretty nervous waiting around for optomcas to finally mail my app even though my gpa has been verified so i'd thought i'd ask what everyone here thinks my chances are.

extracurriculars: treasurer of a pre-optometry club and i volunteer at the events we organize. prior work experience was 3 years at a bank.

In my opinion, your stats seems decent to get interview offers for some institution. If I may suggest, try backtracking from previous thread (utilize the SDN search box) about Interview related topics to the school your looking at. See results that come around Feb or Mar of 2011, maybe that can give you a hint about people's experiences (ie: school waitlisting/alternate, etc). OR call the institution and seek for the admission's advice on your situation (often time, they're open to discussing the likelihood of you being accepted). Hope to hear awesome news from you.

Seriously just because you have such good grades you dont have to be so stuck up about it. Some people really have a passion for this and maybe things happened out of their control:
Like me for example I came to college and had a hard time transitioning i didnt really meet anyone until half way through my 2nd semester so i was depressed all the time and my grades suffered. Then first semester my 2nd year my uncle passed away and i had to go home and missed 4 exams and ended up having to take them unprepared and in the matter of 2 days. My grades since then have been in the 3.2-3.5 range but because of those first 3 semester my grades faltered.

Few individuals took personal shots at me so I responded. But, I understand grades are not everything and sometimes things out of our control get in our way of studying. I am sorry about your uncle. Your GPA is still quite good and I am sure it will keep rising. Wish you nothing but the best. Lets try to get the thread back on track, enough questions about me.

You had a question about shadowing, I recommend one private and one commercial OD to get both sides of the story. Make sure they have graduated recently meaning in the past 5-8 years to get the most up to date perspective.

Last edited:
Few individuals took personal shots at me so I responded. But, I understand grades are not everything and sometimes things out of our control get in our way of studying. I am sorry about your uncle. Your GPA is still quite good and I am sure it will keep rising. Wish you nothing but the best. Lets try to get the thread back on track, enough questions about me.

I believe it's your quote: "It is not that hard to get into optometry school anyways." that got peoples attention the most. Please be cautious with such statement. Yes, maybe you had it easy (because some are just naturally gifted), but others are working really really hard trying to get into the program. With that type of statement, it's not helping with the pressure.

I'm glad that you got into the program (*celebration dance*). However, don't you think a humbled heart is more admirable?

Have an awesome day and hope to read more of your post here.

Last edited:
How does a 96th percentile score on OAT and 70K scholarship from UAB sound to you? Just interviewed at UC Berkeley two weeks ago. Anything else you want to know?
Newer schools don't attract best applicants, established schools with fewer seats do. They are willing to accept students with lower academic record to get the ball rolling. The question was did he or she have a chance to get accepted with those stas and the answer was "Yes". Why be so sensitive to what is true?

I did not even want to go for the interview at UAB when they invited me. You seem so admire your UAB and UC Berkeley. The 96th percentile score on OAT does not impress me at all. (not sure how many times you have taken :laugh:). Interview at UC Berkeley does not mean you gonna get in. Well, tell me they accept you when you have the good news, otherwise, go to sleep and dream about the small class size at Berkeley (if you are out of state, forget about it). Good luck!

I did not even want to go for the interview at UAB when they invited me. You seem so admire your UAB and UC Berkeley. The 96th percentile score on OAT does not impress me at all. (not sure how many times you have taken :laugh:). Interview at UC Berkeley does not mean you gonna get in. Well, tell me they accept you when you have the good news, otherwise, go to sleep and dream about the small class size at Berkeley (if you are out of state, forget about it). Good luck!

Took it once :laugh:, nice try though.

Took it once :laugh:, nice try though.

I guess your OAT score can be the only thing you can be proud of (even although it's just average at some school UC Berkeley or SUNY, not even close to Warterloo), and your "if you look at op's posts, it says he/she has 3.5/4.33 which is a 3.23 on a 4.0 scale" 3.23/4.0 is not quite close to my 3.96/4.0 . I guess UAB may be the only one you can go for now since your UHCO and Berkeley are out of your control. Be happy with what you got. Many people will remember the first times you search around this forum for help. Please don't act as you are the best here. Not many people love their Doctor show off their OAT when they treat their patient. The long way to go ahead, you are not the Optometrist yet and even you are. Be humble!

I guess your OAT score can be the only thing you can be proud of (even although it's just average at some school UC Berkeley or SUNY, not even close to Warterloo), and your "if you look at op's posts, it says he/she has 3.5/4.33 which is a 3.23 on a 4.0 scale" 3.23/4.0 is not quite close to my 3.96/4.0 . I guess UAB may be the only one you can go for now since your UHCO and Berkeley are out of your control. Be happy with what you got. Many people will remember the first times you search around this forum for help. Please don't act as you are the best here. Not many people love their Doctor show off their OAT when they treat their patient. The long way to go ahead, you are not the Optometrist yet and even you are. Be humble!

I will be humble when you do the same and stop making false assumptions. You said you didn't interview at UAB, well guess what I did the same for UHCO & NECO because the scholarships weren't big enough. SCO offered to pay for my flight but I still didn't go. I can sent you proof if you want. Also, this whole thing about only OAT being good, do you really want to debate about my application from references,GPA, essays etc. You tell me to "keep dreaming and go to sleep" then assume UAB was my only option. Where are you getting this info. from? Do you know me personally? Did I question your credentials? No. You questioned mine. Just stop making assumptions about others.

Last edited:

Congrats, we need more people like you. You know what you are talking about and don't worry about the other pre-opt whiners here.

I will be humble when you do the same and stop making false assumptions. You said you didn't interview at UAB, well guess what I did the same for UHCO & NECO because the scholarships weren't big enough. SCO offered to pay for my flight but I still didn't go. I can sent you proof if you want. Also, this whole thing about only OAT being good, do you really want to debate about my application from references,GPA, essays etc. You tell me to "keep dreaming and go to sleep" then assume UAB was my only option. Where are you getting this info. from? Do you know me personally? Did I question your credentials? No. You questioned mine. Just stop making assumptions about others.

Well, I'm not a type of person want to attack others. Humble is a good thing! Shake hand. I hope you will be helpful for the new pre-opt students here. Bring the all good thoughts. :)

Which schools did you apply to?

whoa whats going on in here haha. but i applied to uiw, nova and uhco. after 3 weeks, optomcas has finally mailed out my app today. so the real waiting game starts today i suppose.

No need to get hostile here! Haha. Sure, q1we3 has some stats. But, let's be real here. Overall, you don't need great stats to get into an optometry school. Honest truth. However, the schools were few seats, such as Cal, are definitely hard to get into to.