What do you guys think of this plan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sliceofbread136

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This summer apply to only UT southwestern and baylor (top choice schools). If I don't get in either one ill spend my senior expanding on my extracurriculars and apply more broadly the next summer.

Members don't see this ad.

Why waste a year? I had top choices when I applied but after visiting some of my not-so-top choice schools, I have been pleasantly surprised. After interviews only one of my three top choices are still in my top three. The other two grew on me. I say apply this year.... but then again, I don't know how strong your application is.

Why waste a year? I had top choices when I applied but after visiting some of my not-so-top choice schools, I have been pleasantly surprised. After interviews only one of my three top choices are still in my top three. The other two grew on me. I say apply this year.... but then again, I don't know how strong your application is.

I have a 3.97/37R with not too great ECs. I feel like my ECs may hold me back from UTSW and Baylor, and I feel like I'd rather wait a year and work on ECs then go to some of the other Texas schools (I'm sorry if this sounds insensitive/snooty...). On the other hand I don't want to waste a year if I would get into either baylor or UTSW.

Edit: And I know I might end up falling in love with another Texas school, but then again I may not, and I'd be stuck at a school I dont want to attend.

Members don't see this ad :)
This summer apply to only UT southwestern and baylor (top choice schools). If I don't get in either one ill spend my senior expanding on my extracurriculars and apply more broadly the next summer.

No. Apply with the mentality of a skydiver: you only get one parachute, and if it doesn't open...

Honestly, only apply when you think you're ready. If you really want to attend UTSW or Baylor, and feel you need to improve your extracurriculars to make yourself more competitive at those two schools, then wait a year. Otherwise, apply broadly now, with the expectation that you might not get into your top two choices.

I have a 3.97/37R with not too great ECs. I feel like my ECs may hold me back from UTSW and Baylor, and I feel like I'd rather wait a year and work on ECs then go to some of the other Texas schools (I'm sorry if this sounds insensitive/snooty...). On the other hand I don't want to waste a year if I would get into either baylor or UTSW.

Edit: And I know I might end up falling in love with another Texas school, but then again I may not, and I'd be stuck at a school I dont want to attend.

Ramp up your ECs as much as you can come application time and apply broadly. There is of course no guarantee that you'll get into any particular school, but with those stats you have great odds at your top choices. And if you really don't want to attend a lesser ranked school, look into some high-ranked OOS private schools.

No. Apply with the mentality of a skydiver: you only get one parachute, and if it doesn't open...

Honestly, only apply when you think you're ready. If you really want to attend UTSW or Baylor, and feel you need to improve your extracurriculars to make yourself more competitive at those two schools, then wait a year. Otherwise, apply broadly now, with the expectation that you might not get into your top two choices.

Why do you feel it is to my advantage to only apply once?

Totally unrelated question, I took my MCAT last summer, will it still be good at most schools if I applied the summer after this one?

Ramp up your ECs as much as you can come application time and apply broadly. There is of course no guarantee that you'll get into any particular school, but with those stats you have great odds at your top choices. And if you really don't want to attend a lesser ranked school, look into some high-ranked OOS private schools.

I am ramping up my ECs, I'm just not sure if it will be enough. And texas tuition price seems too good to pass up since I'm instate.

And I appreciate the input.

Why do you feel it is to my advantage to only apply once?

Totally unrelated question, I took my MCAT last summer, will it still be good at most schools if I applied the summer after this one?

The consensus is that reapplicants are generally looked at more critically by the adcoms. Being a reapplicant in and of itself is, generally speaking, only ever a disadvantage.

MCAT is valid for 3 years prior to matriculation/application (carefully check this qualifier at the schools you apply to) at the majority of schools.

I am ramping up my ECs, I'm just not sure if it will be enough. And texas tuition price seems too good to pass up since I'm instate.

And I appreciate the input.

True, IS tuition is always baller.

I thought my ECs were pretty average, too, and I've been pleasantly surprised this cycle. With your stats,I doubt you'll find closed doors at any school. My advice: you still have a semester to go, so do something interesting in the coming months and then apply early and broadly.

I'm fairly certain that your numbers alone will get you an automatic interview at UTSW.

I'm fairly certain that your numbers alone will get you an automatic interview at UTSW.

I've heard that, but I don't know if I'll be able to get past the interview point. I'm not antisocial but I'm not betting my interview is going to be much better than average.

Your numbers are great.
If you are a tx resident you should be fine.
My EC's were pitiful too and I got accepted to 3/6 schools interviewed and waitlisted at 1 other. See my mdapps.
You got lots of time to put alot in EC before you apply.
You should be great.
Hope to see you at UTSW

I will go against the grain and say go for it, if you would really rather go through two application cycles than go to a non-top-choice school a year earlier. Just know being a re-applicant may hurt you at your top choices. I applied with virtually none of the recommended EC's (had no clinical experience until the month I submitted my app) fully expecting to have to apply again. As long as you are aware that you may have to re-apply, have the time and money to do so, and know being a re-applicant may be a disadvantage (though the only thing I have heard from reliable sources is you just need to show solid improvement if you were unsuccessful in years past, not that it would be an automatic red flag) go for it. If you are risk-averse, either apply broadly this year, or apply broadly next year. :luck:

I will go against the grain and say go for it, if you would really rather go through two application cycles than go to a non-top-choice school a year earlier. Just know being a re-applicant may hurt you at your top choices. I applied with virtually none of the recommended EC's (had no clinical experience until the month I submitted my app) fully expecting to have to apply again. As long as you are aware that you may have to re-apply, have the time and money to do so, and know being a re-applicant may be a disadvantage (though the only thing I have heard from reliable sources is you just need to show solid improvement if you were unsuccessful in years past, not that it would be an automatic red flag) go for it. If you are risk-averse, either apply broadly this year, or apply broadly next year. :luck:

I'd actually say that you should go for it as well. I received more interviews this year as a reapplicant than I did during my first cycle. Granted, I applied to more schools, but it's important to recognize that I was a reapplicant at many of the schools that rejected me pre-interview, and the ones I was applying to for the first time said nothing of my earlier applications.

Take a look at my MDapps profile; I've been a part of a total of three application cycles, and my second and third ones sound very much like what you're considering doing now, but with stats that are less amazing. I can't say that what I did is the right way, but I think it helped me to gauge whether being a re-applicant would hurt me during my third cycle (It clearly didn't).

I thought my ECs were pretty average, too, and I've been pleasantly surprised this cycle. With your stats,I doubt you'll find closed doors at any school. My advice: you still have a semester to go, so do something interesting in the coming months and then apply early and broadly.

This for sure.

Agreed. Either apply broadly now or bulk up your application for a year and apply broadly next summer. Applying to only 2 schools is a very bad idea.