ivy809

2+ Year Member
Aug 10, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
I took the MCAT and received a 505 (125/CP, 126/CARS, 128/BC, 126/PS) :bang:...which is less than ideal.

However, I'm only really aiming for my resident state's med school (UTHSC, Tennessee to be more specific) and would love to go there if accepted. I was told from a student that UT truly employs a holistic approach to considering candidates, and I'm really hoping that my EC's, LOE's, and GPA will outshine my less than stellar MCAT. Just a brief breakdown of my app:

Excellent LOE's; I graduated from a small liberal arts college so I grew really close with the professors who wrote my letters
Long list of volunteering experiences, all leadership positions too
Lots of clinical experience as well
Great research, won several awards at conferences and my research is being submitted for a patent
Even got to fit in study abroad with a premed schedule
GPA is 3.61 but this is due to a dismal freshman year. I made Honor Roll/Dean's List every semester afterwards, graduating with a BS in Biochemistry
Graduated last May and now I'm in my gap year, working as a scribe and volunteering

What do y'all think? I'm quite worried about my chances, and I've been hesitating submitting my application because perhaps I should just wait another year to improve my score (which to be completely honest, I don't think I want to pursue two gap years)?? Should I just go ahead and submit? I also heard that people who receive secondaries automatically receive interviews, and (not to be presumptuous) I feel as though I will really shine in the interview.

gellal

2+ Year Member
May 14, 2016
You might be fine... 505 was exactly at the 75th percentile for UTHSC applicants last year. Pre-2015 MCAT data show that MCAT scores for their admitted students are slightly below U.S. average numbers. What I will say is, if there is an area that the school seems to be relaxed on in their admissions decisions, it might be the MCAT. Your GPA is just below their average, but being in-state will help no matter what.

OP
I

ivy809

2+ Year Member
Aug 10, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
You might be fine... 505 was exactly at the 75th percentile for UTHSC applicants last year. Pre-2015 MCAT data show that MCAT scores for their admitted students are slightly below U.S. average numbers. What I will say is, if there is an area that the school seems to be relaxed on in their admissions decisions, it might be the MCAT. Your GPA is just below their average, but being in-state will help no matter what.
ahh ok thank you!