What do you keep in your white coat pockets?

Started by Talon77
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Talon77

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Pharmacy Students/Residents,

I have a question for you: "What do you keep in your white coat pockets?"

This thread will be a place to post recommendations about what to carry around during rotations and/or residencies. If an electronic version of what you suggest is available, please do your best to post a link to it. Medication guides, dosing guides, lists, pocket books, guidelines, or other references are all fair game.



To start things off, I'll tell you about one of the things that I like to carry. I made a large, detailed list of QT-prolongation syndrome drugs and drugs that are associated with Brugada syndrome. Here are the resources that I pulled this information from:

http://www.azcert.org/medical-pros/drug-lists/drug-lists.cfm
http://www.brugadadrugs.org/

I have found this list to be *very* useful in my critical care and internal medicine experiences.
 
Pharmacy Students/Residents,

I have a question for you: "What do you keep in your white coat pockets?"

This thread will be a place to post recommendations about what to carry around during rotations and/or residencies. If an electronic version of what you suggest is available, please do your best to post a link to it. Medication guides, dosing guides, lists, pocket books, guidelines, or other references are all fair game.



To start things off, I'll tell you about one of the things that I like to carry. I made a large, detailed list of QT-prolongation syndrome drugs and drugs that are associated with Brugada syndrome. Here are the resources that I pulled this information from:

http://www.azcert.org/medical-pros/drug-lists/drug-lists.cfm
http://www.brugadadrugs.org/

I have found this list to be *very* useful in my critical care and internal medicine experiences.

Notepad, pens, highlighters, calculator, brand/generic guide, stickers, schedule (calendar).
 
Calculator, prescription pad, opioid conversion chart, presentation on evidence based electrolyte repletion, recent articles I have read, my stamper, hospital antibiogram, Tide stain stick, sugar free gum.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As many damn drug pens as I can possibly cram in there, because my coworkers will inevitably steal the first three pens I pull out of my pocket.
 
right pocket: 3 or 4 pens, cell phone, small notebook, sometimes articles/patient sheets

left pocket: small scientific calculator, Sanford, ACLS and PALS cards, peds dosing card I made for myself, notebook of useful things (3x5" photo album, slide things in as you find them), occasional articles/patient sheets.
 
Ipod touch and a fiber bar. Cheat sheets are smart though.
 
Electronics fools, when are you going to abandon paper references? All my assignments I keep on my laptop also.

You carry a laptop around with you on rounds?

Seeing charts laid out on paper is a lot nicer than having to flip through windows on a PDA/Droid/iPhone/Blackberry. Not to mention that a paper reference doesn't have a license to expire. And no, I'm not jailbreaking anything, so don't even bring it up.
 
and if ur laptop crashes then u lost it all...unless you have it backed up...

i keep nothing on my laptop. nothing.
 
You carry a laptop around with you on rounds?

Seeing charts laid out on paper is a lot nicer than having to flip through windows on a PDA/Droid/iPhone/Blackberry. Not to mention that a paper reference doesn't have a license to expire. And no, I'm not jailbreaking anything, so don't even bring it up.

Not on rounds, I have it taking up a bunch of space in the pharmacy. And yes, more people should be jailbreaking.

I have my files backed up on my home machine as well as on my e-mail.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
my residency last year provided a tablet PC - there are definitely days that I miss it, but I found I used it too much as a crutch. This year is sharpening and refining my skillz already.
 
Sanford guide, Pharmacist's Letter chart of oral contraceptives+missed dose guidelines, along with their chart of pediatric OTC dosing, a self made chart with lots of info tidbits (equivalent dosages of statins, ACEIs/ARBs, stability/storage of all the reconstituted suspensions, etc)... some pens, and mints.
 
What has it got in its pocketses, huh? :meanie:

I am surprised no one carries a PDA (though they might be outdated - I carried it on rotations, and they were really expensive back then too 🙄 ) or a smartphone.

Oh, sorry, one person does.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
oh i never answered the op.

i carry business cards in my left suit inner pocket. my smartphone in the right inner suit pocket and one pen in my lshirt pocket.
 
btw...2 DOP positions came up 2 weeks ago. we filled both last week. another position opened yesterday..received 3 applications today.. things have changed over the past 12 months
 

He's saying he wears a pocket protector

90154180.jpg
 
typo. posting from phone

Drat, sounded cool for a second. I pictured a white shirt with the apple logo on the back and a clear plastic front, retailing for maybe $150. I know what an apple fan you are, seemed like it would be right up your ally.

P.S. Can I patient this idea? Sans the apple logo of course.
 
why...is it free? i got about 500GB of pictures and 100GB of pharm relatd stuff. how long do u think it will take to upload?

Ha - It's free for the first 5gb... 500gb... you may have an issue.

White coat: iPhone w/ LexiComplete, pen x 3, RxPad/transfer pad in retail or simple notepad for hospital, spiral bound notecards w/ peripheral brain esque info (similar to spiriva), gum.
 
What has it got in its pocketses, huh? :meanie:

I am surprised no one carries a PDA (though they might be outdated - I carried it on rotations, and they were really expensive back then too 🙄 ) or a smartphone.

Oh, sorry, one person does.

Many of the former PDA users became smartphone users... I agree that chart based info blows on smartphones... Somethings just have to be visceral.
 
Drat, sounded cool for a second. I pictured a white shirt with the apple logo on the back and a clear plastic front, retailing for maybe $150. I know what an apple fan you are, seemed like it would be right up your ally.

P.S. Can I patient this idea? Sans the apple logo of course.

I own nothing that's apple.. anymore... I did have a tiny ipod...gave to my daughter
 
-My work schedule
-How to solve certain insurances
-Phone numbers
-6 Sharpees
-20-30+ Pens
-Script Pads
-Lip Balm
 
3 highlighters, 1 blue pen, 1 green pen, 1 pencil, soft lips chapstick, coupon for some snacks, receipts from items i have bought, my pharmacy keys, a coke bottle cap
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
5 minutes too much! A second gone is a second wasted! 😛

Sure, but do you know how much time I save...not constantly hounded by my coworkers since they come to me with: "how do I do this?", "how much of this?", "when do I do this?", "when is this coming?", "how much should I tell them this costs?", "who do I call for this?", "when does this expire?", "what do I do when...?"

I can just say...check the notecards!
 
These are some great posts so far! Keep up the good work!

The Massachusetts Hospital Handbook is definitely handy to have around. I've found a number of uses for it.

I'm also very partial to Lexi-Comp, but that's partially because I've worked there 😀. MicroMedex isn't bad either, but they currently lack a good PDA/smartphone app.