What do you say?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oscillation

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have to decide on the fourth letter for my application-"a good letter from a prominent cardiologist or an outstanding one from a budding and dynamic cardiology attending ."

Best.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'd go with the good letter from the prominent cardiologist, as the PD usually like big names, and are excited to read their letters...

I'd go with the good letter from the prominent cardiologist, as the PD usually like big names, and are excited to read their letters...

I have heard the opposite too. In the end you should assess how different the quality of letter will be and how different is their reputation and balance it out.

Members don't see this ad :)
"a good letter from a prominent cardiologist or an outstanding one from a budding and dynamic cardiology attending ."

This is the impression I got on talking with them.
Now that both the letters are uploaded in my ERAS I am not able to choose with one to go with for the application.

"a good letter from a prominent cardiologist or an outstanding one from a budding and dynamic cardiology attending ."

This is the impression I got on talking with them.
Now that both the letters are uploaded in my ERAS I am not able to choose with one to go with for the application.
Maybe ProgDirector on this forum can help with this question. Again, if i were you i'd go with the prominent cardiologist letter, but that's just my personal opinion.
Good luck!

Maybe ProgDirector on this forum can help with this question. Again, if i were you i'd go with the prominent cardiologist letter, but that's just my personal opinion.
Good luck!
Any thoughts!

I have to decide on the fourth letter for my application-"a good letter from a prominent cardiologist or an outstanding one from a budding and dynamic cardiology attending ."

Best.

Although I'm sure the dynamic attending is a wonderful human being and may happily name a child after you some day, the prominent cardiologist will be recognized by more eyes. More cache means more attention. Hopefully the glamorous cardiologist actually knows you. If s/he isn't really familiar with you, a general (blah) LOR won't pack a huge punch.

But here's another idea if you absolutely can't decide. We've had candidates upload more than three letters. Granted, you'll have to cancel one out in ERAS, but we can see all of them and have total access to all of them. The one you cancel out will show a little red X next to it in our pull-down menu, but the letter is there all the same. Don't cancel the PD's LOR.

I'm not encouraging anyone to go crazy and upload more than four LORs (PD LOR + three from cardiologists). Like it or not, a ton of letters is overkill and off-putting.

:luck:

Although I'm sure the dynamic attending is a wonderful human being and may happily name a child after you some day, the prominent cardiologist will be recognized by more eyes. More cache means more attention. Hopefully the glamorous cardiologist actually knows you. If s/he isn't really familiar with you, a general (blah) LOR won't pack a huge punch.
But here's another idea if you absolutely can't decide. We've had candidates upload more than three letters. Granted, you'll have to cancel one out in ERAS, but we can see all of them and have total access to all of them. The one you cancel out will show a little red X next to it in our pull-down menu, but the letter is there all the same. Don't cancel the PD's LOR.

I'm not encouraging anyone to go crazy and upload more than four LORs (PD LOR + three from cardiologists). Like it or not, a ton of letters is overkill and off-putting.

Thank ProgDirector for answering my request! ;) and for the trick! :D
Are you saying that the programs have access to all letters uploaded in ERAS even if they were not sent to that specific program? :cool:
Does that answer your question Oscillation?

Are you saying that the programs have access to all letters uploaded in ERAS even if they were not sent to that specific program? :cool:
Thanks a lot everyone. I went with the small guy. In the words of ProgramCoordinator "More cache means more attention":thumbup::thumbup:

No, I'm quite sure that we can only see what you've released to us specifically, but (from what I can tell) you have the option of deactivating a letter after having released it in order to add another. Unfortunately, I don't know how it works on your end. How's that for helpful!

No, I'm quite sure that we can only see what you've released to us specifically, but (from what I can tell) you have the option of deactivating a letter after having released it in order to add another. Unfortunately, I don't know how it works on your end. How's that for helpful!

The way it works is you assign 4 letters to a program. Then on ADTS, you check when the program downloads your application including all the letters. Then you go to MYERAS and uncheck one letter and assign the 5th letter to the program.

Personally, I am not going to do it.. I don't think that beyond 4 letters it works.

The way it works is you assign 4 letters to a program. Then on ADTS, you check when the program downloads your application including all the letters. Then you go to MYERAS and uncheck one letter and assign the 5th letter to the program.

Personally, I am not going to do it.. I don't think that beyond 4 letters it works.
Now makes perfect sense cards2012..but i dont think it is worth it..maybe somehow dishonest too :scared:

In general, I would recommend that you should go with the letter from the more famous and/or well connected person. It should not matter so much, but it does....
If the young guy knows particular people @certain program(s) may want to use that letter only at those selected programs, though.