What do you suggest/opinion?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which School would you pick?

• NYU

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • BU

Votes: 13 28.3%
  • Temple

Votes: 23 50.0%

• Total voters

i4everpaki

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking for some advice between NYU, Temple, and BU. It is a poll so plz vote. suggestion are welcome.

Temple University- Kornberg School of Dentistry
Tuition/ living expense- $80,000 including book and supplies and instruments.
4 year projected cost with tuition- 328,000
Location- located is a very rough community. NEGATIVE
Weather- same as NY
Emphasis- Strong clinical program.
Opportunities- research, outreaching, clinic
When do you take Boards- after 2 years
Distance from home- 2 hours
Class Size- 125 students and some international students in 3 year less than 50
Student happiness- everyone seems to like the school, basing of people I talked to.
Personal opinion- The school is really nice especially new clinic that they are constructing. Very well known for their strong clinical program.

Boston University- Goldman School of Dental Medicine
Tuition/Living expense – $92,000 including book and supplies and instruments.
4 years projected cost with tuition- 370,000
Location- located is wonderful, one of the best place with amazing environment.
Weather- cold
Emphasis- nothing in particular, APEX program
When do you take Boards- after 1.5 years
Distance from home- 4 hour
Class size- 125 students and about 50+ international students in 3 year.
Student Happiness- everyone seems to like the school, people talked positive about the school.
Personal opinion- I really enjoyed the interview, the building was a little crammed up and the clinic seemed kind of old but staff seemed very friendly.

NYU College of Dentistry
Tuition/Living expense- 100,000 including book and supplies and instrument
4 years projected cost with tuition- 402,000
located- in NYC, not a big fan of it.
Weather- NY
Emphasis- both clinic and research.
When do you take Boards- after 2 years.
Distance from home- 30 mins
Class size- 250 students and about 100 international students 2nd year.
Student Happiness- everyone seemed really happy with the location and school.
Personal opinion- not a big fan of such a huge class size. Otherwise school is great.

Tuition/Living expense- Temple > BU > NYU
4 years projected cost with tuition- Temple > BU > NYU
location- BU > NYU > Temple
weather- Temple = NYU > BU
emphasis- Temple > NYU > BU
opportunities- Temple = NYU = BU
when do you take boards- BU > Temple = NYU . earlier = better??
distance from home- NYU > Temple > BU

class size- Temple > BU > NYU
student happiness- Temple = NYU = BU

Members don't see this ad.

what do you mean by living cost/tuition? for temple you have 80,000 dollars listed as a projected living cost. is this a year? how would it cost you that much?? isnt temple tuition somewhere around 30gs? how are you getting all the way up to 80?
i live in philly and temple is not a fun/good neighborhood. its boring and ugly and to have a life outside of school ie- going out, youd be bored. if thats not a concern and you totally wanna focus on school always , then pick this school as its good clinically but dont expect to be happy/loving your enviornment. I'd only go to temple since i live in the area and i could commute. If i was from out of state and was going to live there for 4 years....not so much.
NYU is super expensive, but its the enviornment/location people tend to like. however since it seems you dont like this and perhaps are even from ny, maybe you should think about another school. however if its 30 minutes from home, you could live at home and save money on living costs, then it wouldnt be too bad. i think their tuition is somewhere around 60gs/yr without room and board.
I'd say you should go to boston U. its in the middle, and it seems this has the most pros for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am out of state so I added tuition + living expense + books + instruments and it gave me that amount. I rounded here and there.

Yes, I understand that Temple's environment is not that great comparing to Boston and NYU. When comparing it to NYU the class size and tuition really stand out. Boston is also pricey but the environment is amazing.

I am still thinking about it so far from this poll and people whom I have talked to Temple has the most benefits. For now still deciding and hoping for the best.

what do you mean by living cost/tuition? for temple you have 80,000 dollars listed as a projected living cost. is this a year? how would it cost you that much?? isnt temple tuition somewhere around 30gs? how are you getting all the way up to 80?
i live in philly and temple is not a fun/good neighborhood. its boring and ugly and to have a life outside of school ie- going out, youd be bored. if thats not a concern and you totally wanna focus on school always , then pick this school as its good clinically but dont expect to be happy/loving your enviornment. I'd only go to temple since i live in the area and i could commute. If i was from out of state and was going to live there for 4 years....not so much.
NYU is super expensive, but its the enviornment/location people tend to like. however since it seems you dont like this and perhaps are even from ny, maybe you should think about another school. however if its 30 minutes from home, you could live at home and save money on living costs, then it wouldnt be too bad. i think their tuition is somewhere around 60gs/yr without room and board.
I'd say you should go to boston U. its in the middle, and it seems this has the most pros for you.

I have the impression that the private schools would prepare dentists better for the boards. Am I wrong?

I have the impression that the private schools would prepare dentists better for the boards. Am I wrong?

I believe private/public school will provide you the material, it is your work ethics that will judge how well you do on them. Since boards are going to be P/F people might just study to pass instead of doing exceptionally well.

no comparison in my opinion. Temple is the best school in that list

It seems you really liked Temple. I'd say go with Temple. Cheapest from the list and excellent clinical exposure.