What do you think about MTM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

minette

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
MTM..MTM..MTM that's all I hear in pharmacy school...what do you think about the future of MTM?

Members don't see this ad.

not gonna work....

It could work, just not with the current retail environment.

BTW take what your professors tell you about pharmacy with a grain of salt. They really don't have a clue about what it's really like out there.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are practice settings that have made it (or something like it) work. Healthcare reform expands it. It is something that one could get into, but it will not be the standard of practice anytime soon.

Right now employer-based programs are what drives MTM (and pharmacist-provided disease state management) in some places that it's practiced. Basically a big boss of a large company comes into a pharmacy, sees a service provided, and wants to provide it as a benefit within his/her company. If you live in a small town where many people are employed by one company, this could work.

MTM..MTM..MTM that's all I hear in pharmacy school...what do you think about the future of MTM?

That should give you a clue. If they are talking about it in school then it is as far removed from reality as you can get. APhA has a big hard on for it. Instead of tackling real issue affecting your average pharmacist APhA is focused on MTM. They are a joke.

When I was in school in the early 1990s, pharmaceutical care was the buzzword. We were on a bus trip when my best friend, who at that time had not worked in a pharmacy at all, started blathering about it and it was really obvious to me that he had no idea what the hell he was talking about, and I told him so in so many words and he shut up, much to the relief of the people around us.

He's been a Walgreens drone for 15 years. :smuggrin:

There is a place for MTM. In my part of the country, MTM practices exist and some of them are really successful. However, I believe that the best MTM services as part of the multidisciplinary clinic. I have seen MTM services being provided by one of retail chains, and I just feel that it's not the same. The retail chains typically do not have the appropriate space to provide MTM services, no established relationship with physicians, and no access to the latest labs for the patient. In the future, I believe that MTM will be growing but the questions is where and how it will be implemented. I am all for the MTM being part of medical home, but I am not a strong supporter for it being part of retail chain. I just feel that when corporate comes in, it becomes less about patient outcomes but more about profit.

There is a place for MTM. In my part of the country, MTM practices exist and some of them are really successful. However, I believe that the best MTM services as part of the multidisciplinary clinic. I have seen MTM services being provided by one of retail chains, and I just feel that it's not the same. The retail chains typically do not have the appropriate space to provide MTM services, no established relationship with physicians, and no access to the latest labs for the patient. In the future, I believe that MTM will be growing but the questions is where and how it will be implemented. I am all for the MTM being part of medical home, but I am not a strong supporter for it being part of retail chain. I just feel that when corporate comes in, it becomes less about patient outcomes but more about profit.

+1 I wouldn't say I am unsupportive of retail MTM, I just don't know how it can work as well as it can in a clinic setting. The way it is set up now with all the hurdles to billing, it's not profitable for most settings. I do provide MTM services but we don't make any money doing it, at this point, it's a community service. So far, patients really seem to like it.