What do you think about this plan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AZhiker93

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Already have my BSN. I just need to take these courses. I will likely sneak genetics in there somewhere as well.

Fall 2017
College algebra and trigonometry
General Chemistry I

Spring 2018
General Chemistry II
General Biology I

Fall 2018

General Biology II
Organic Chemistry I

Spring 2019

Physics I
Organic chemistry II

Fall 2019

Physics II
Principles of Biochemistry

Spring 2020

Genetics?
Take MCAT

What do you guys think? Reasonable enough?

Members don't see this ad.

Skip on the algebra if you can. Take bio 1 and gen chem 1 together, then add your physics asap. What about summer? You can really condense your schedule. It's too long and spread out for my taste.

Members don't see this ad :)
need more. info

what stuff will you be doing outside of school if anything?

are you comfortable with math? is the college algebra required?

are there summer options available? sometimes those are nice, same labs and exams but often fewer people and more chill. Plus I always study better when I can get regular sunshine.

need more. info

what stuff will you be doing outside of school if anything?

are you comfortable with math? is the college algebra required?

are there summer options available? sometimes those are nice, same labs and exams but often fewer people and more chill. Plus I always study better when I can get regular sunshine.
I also work full-time and have a family. I am setting up some EC opportunities over this time period as well. As far as the algebra goes, I think I could benefit from it. I'm decent at math, but I could probably use the refresher going to into physics. I'll have to look into summer options. My school does offer summer courses, i'm just not sure what courses are available. I think I read once that summer courses can sometimes be looked at negatively by admcom's since they are so condensed. Is there any truth to that?

Reactions: 1 user
Are you working full / part time during this or? Physics and Ochem together in the same semester can be rough if you have a very tight schedule and depending on the professor.
What course combination would you recommend? I've played around with this a bunch and can't really seem to nail down the perfect schedule. There's always a draw back somewhere.

Thank you!

Well, bio's will always be your easiest but you will have to take a chem every semester regardless in order to stay on track. Gen Chem 1 will be the easiest so if you are dead set on taking college algebra you could do:

Chem I
Algebra

Chem II
Physics I

Bio I
Physics II

Ochem I
Bio II

Ochem II
Biochem (these two classes overlap much better than physics and biochem)

Ideally, you could skip the algebra and do some self review and then it would be:

Chem I
Physics I

Chem II
Physics II

Ochem I
Bio I

Ochem II
Bio II

Biochem
some other bio (maybe cell bio over genetics)

Honestly, I hadn't had algebra/trig since 10th grade, so when I started it was about 24 years without any real math. There were times when I struggled a bit in physics and chemistry initially but I was able to pick it back up quickly and ended up with over 100% in those courses, so unless you have a legitimate math problem there isn't any reason you can't pick up the basic algebra needed to do Arrhenius equations or translational motion problems without needing to take an entire semester of algebra. If you take any math, it should be stats, which is not only required by many schools but is also good for the MCAT.

Well, bio's will always be your easiest but you will have to take a chem every semester regardless in order to stay on track. Gen Chem 1 will be the easiest so if you are dead set on taking college algebra you could do:

Chem I
Algebra

Chem II
Physics I

Bio I
Physics II

Ochem I
Bio II

Ochem II
Biochem (these two classes overlap much better than physics and biochem)

Ideally, you could skip the algebra and do some self review and then it would be:

Chem I
Physics I

Chem II
Physics II

Ochem I
Bio I

Ochem II
Bio II

Biochem
some other bio (maybe cell bio over genetics)

Honestly, I hadn't had algebra/trig since 10th grade, so when I started it was about 24 years without any real math. There were times when I struggled a bit in physics and chemistry initially but I was able to pick it back up quickly and ended up with over 100% in those courses, so unless you have a legitimate math problem there isn't any reason you can't pick up the basic algebra needed to do Arrhenius equations or translational motion problems without needing to take an entire semester of algebra. If you take any math, it should be stats, which is not only required by many schools but is also good for the MCAT.
Thanks for your insight. I did complete statistics a couple semesters ago. I got an A- in the class...somehow. I definitely need to brush up on stats as I hardly remember any of it.

At my college, College Algebra is a prerequisite for Trigonometry, and General Chemistry 1. You have to take College Algebra before you can take either of those courses.

Do not take Physics before Trigonometry. Trigonometry is a basic foundation for the beginning of Physics. (Trust me, Chapter 1 in most Physics books are reviewing Trigonometry)

Genetics is the easiest class that I took as an upper science class, I would not take that solely in one semester. I would some how break up Spring 2018, because those are two of the easiest classes to pass with an A.

Not sure how to give you specifics without knowing if you qualify to take Chem 1, or Trig. But let's say that you qualify (since you have your BSN, statistics isn't a prereq for Trig, or College Algebra, or General Chemistry, did you take Business mathematics, that would qualify as a prereq.

Fall 2017
Trig
GC 1

Spring 2018
Physics 1
Biology 1

Fall 2018
Physics 2
Chem 2

Spring 2019
Organic chem 1
Biology 2

Fall 2019
Organic Chem 2
Genetics

Spring 2020
Biochem

Already have my BSN. I just need to take these courses. I will likely sneak genetics in there somewhere as well.

Fall 2017
College algebra and trigonometry
General Chemistry I

Spring 2018
General Chemistry II
General Biology I

Fall 2018

General Biology II
Organic Chemistry I

Spring 2019

Physics I
Organic chemistry II

Fall 2019

Physics II
Principles of Biochemistry

Spring 2020

Genetics?
Take MCAT

What do you guys think? Reasonable enough?

Some advice I received when deciding how to go about my plan is as follows: Anyone can ace a class when you are only taking 1-2 a semester. From an admissions stand point it isn't just about the grades, they want to see you can handle a large science course load. You do have the benefit of already having your BSN. I realize you may have to work to support yourself, as I had the same plan. Is taking more classes a semester an option?

Some advice I received when deciding how to go about my plan is as follows: Anyone can ace a class when you are only taking 1-2 a semester. From an admissions stand point it isn't just about the grades, they want to see you can handle a large science course load. You do have the benefit of already having your BSN. I realize you may have to work to support yourself, as I had the same plan. Is taking more classes a semester an option?

I was actually reading something like that at TCOM's website the other day as well, how they expected you to take a full load even if you were working full time. Seems a little BS to me tbh because I'm smoking 99% of peers and all but a rare few that I have met have any commitments outside of classes (other than stuff they enjoy like playing video games, sleeping and socializing) while my non-academic commitments are treacherous. I do feel that in an interview scenario, having straight A's coupled with a huge time sink outside of classes probably makes you stand out over the kids who rode the "daddy's paying my way" gravy train through school.

I was actually reading something like that at TCOM's website the other day as well, how they expected you to take a full load even if you were working full time. Seems a little BS to me tbh because I'm smoking 99% of peers and all but a rare few that I have met have any commitments outside of classes (other than stuff they enjoy like playing video games, sleeping and socializing) while my non-academic commitments are treacherous. I do feel that in an interview scenario, having straight A's coupled with a huge time sink outside of classes probably makes you stand out over the kids who rode the "daddy's paying my way" gravy train through school.

I know what you're talking about esob. I read that too. I'm going to TCOM and didn't have take full courses, but I chose to have a strong post-bac instead of any risks. You'll be ok. My join date reveals how bumpy this has been for me.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm glad I took genetics after biochem, and wish I had taken physics 1 before gen chem. Physics taught me how to "think" not barf out factoids and memorize equations which would have been very helpful for gen chem. Got A+ and A in both respectively but I think the path to that A in gen chem would have been MUCH easier after physics.

The schedules you've been given are good; if you can possibly take one class during the summer it will help not only get the pre-reqs done but keep you in study - test- repeat mode.

My join date reveals how bumpy this has been for me.
You are not alone :) I started back on this path earlier than you and the bumps have been brutal at times... This year! Congrats on acceptance!!:clap:

@popopopop and @Ad2b y'all hush up about join dates kay? :p
I was considering pre-pharm when I first joined and my first post was in the wamc thread in pre-pharm forum. I wanted healthcare, but I thought the door to medicine was already closed. It's been a long journey.

OP I would suggest taking more classes per term. Push yourself. If you feel burned out, then let that sink in. It's a long and difficult journey to become a physician. Make sure that you really want to do this.

Last edited: