What do you think of my chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rock hopper

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Been lurking for awhile now and debated actually posting because my stats are bad..Im sorry if this is the wrong board and sorry for the wall of text but here goes:

stats:
cGPA: 2.96
science GPA: 3.55
MCAT: 26

1.5 years working in ER as scribe..I want to say around 1200 hrs
200 or so shadowing hrs (DO)
No research yet (been too busy w/ school and work)

I have worked really, really hard to try to get my gpa up to above a 3.0 and I am spent with schoolwork...27 years old and still living in an apartment eating cheetos and ramen and wondering if they will cut off the lights..but im making it and damn it will get to med school.

Also I am debating retaking a course I got a C on (Chemistry 1) a couple years back....Although many of the higher courses ive made A's on (Organic chem I and II, Physics II and Anatomy, Genetics, etc), I am concerned that this will raise a red flag...should I take another semester to replace the grade or just go with it and hope the admissions see that I've turned a corner?

For what its worth i'm mainly applying post bacculaureate programs...I've had two admissions counselors from DO schools tell me they would suggest trying post-bacc first then going to DO. I have literally no shot at MD, but not mad about it. Tell me what you think

Members don't see this ad.

I would go for the retakes to raise you cGPA. cGPA combined with MCAT is to low.

Been lurking for awhile now and debated actually posting because my stats are bad..Im sorry if this is the wrong board and sorry for the wall of text but here goes:

stats:
cGPA: 2.96
science GPA: 3.55
MCAT: 26

1.5 years working in ER as scribe..I want to say around 1200 hrs
200 or so shadowing hrs (DO)
No research yet (been too busy w/ school and work)

I have worked really, really hard to try to get my gpa up to above a 3.0 and I am spent with schoolwork...27 years old and still living in an apartment eating cheetos and ramen and wondering if they will cut off the lights..but im making it and damn it will get to med school.

Also I am debating retaking a course I got a C on (Chemistry 1) a couple years back....Although many of the higher courses ive made A's on (Organic chem I and II, Physics II and Anatomy, Genetics, etc), I am concerned that this will raise a red flag...should I take another semester to replace the grade or just go with it and hope the admissions see that I've turned a corner?

For what its worth i'm mainly applying post bacculaureate programs...I've had two admissions counselors from DO schools tell me they would suggest trying post-bacc first then going to DO. I have literally no shot at MD, but not mad about it. Tell me what you think

Retake the classes that you didn't do well in non-science classes. Get the cgpa up and it'll open plenty of doors for you! Aim for at least a 3.2 cgpa with that sgpa you have and I think you'll get some looks of you apply early and broadly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, thanks for the responses.

Do you guys think that my stats are too low for post bacc? I have a 1 yr masters program im looking at at Western U in pomona

You might likely get into a formal postbac/SMP program or you can do your own post bac and fix the low grades F/D/ maybe C's and pull up the cgpa. The MCAT is weak and likely by the time you fix grades expired as well. Many DO school formal programs are difficult, so taking that route is tough, but then med school is worse.

There is a Below 3.0 Thread, read it!

Ok, thanks for the responses.

Do you guys think that my stats are too low for post bacc? I have a 1 yr masters program im looking at at Western U in pomona

When did you take your mcat? I'd strongly advise just doing an informal postbac by retaking your low grades. If you raised that cgpa it would really help. If you got it to a 3.3-3.4 I think you'd definitely get an interview to a newer school if you applied early and have decent ECs.

After the fall semester in 2014. Does GPA really come up that much after retaking grades? Only reason i'm interested in postbacc so much is that some schools will guarantee you admission into med school if you meet certain standards in the postbacc.

You might likely get into a formal postbac/SMP program or you can do your own post bac and fix the low grades F/D/ maybe C's and pull up the cgpa. The MCAT is weak and likely by the time you fix grades expired as well. Many DO school formal programs are difficult, so taking that route is tough, but then med school is worse.

There is a Below 3.0 Thread, read it!

They don't take old scores??

How are you feeling after 200+ hours of shadowing!? Wow, that's a lot...

You need to raise your GPA above 3.0 so you will not be screened out by many schools. Even a few courses at a local community college would be fine. Then apply in June 2017. You may need to retake the MCAT again as it may not be valid at many schools for the 2018 admission year. However, if your GPA is above 3.0 a year from now and your new MCAT score is at least 500 (equivalent to at least 25 on old MCAT) then you would have a chance at some DO schools, especially the newer ones that will be opening in the next 2 years.

@FutureDoc17 Well funny story actually! I hurt my back working on a construction job at the hospital. I told radiology tech i wanted to do DO school and he told me about a Dr. to talk to...Who I got the majority of my shadowing hours from lol

@Faha Cool..yes im starting to see now i need to do whatever it takes to get the gpa over 3.0...will research some newer schools opening..I think im leaning toward a diy post bacc now vs. SMP..might save me a good bit of money too..