What do you think?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

budfrog

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I a junior at a small private college in Ohio and I'm getting ready to take the DAT in about a month. I am just curious what everyone thinks I need to get on it to have a decent shot at getting in. I'll give you my details:

-I have 3.6 gpa and am a bio major
-I have about 40 hrs. of following different dentists around in their offices
-I am the editor-in-chief of my school's newspaper, i'm in a bio club, a bio honors society, and played lots of intramurals

Any info anyone could give me would be extremely helpful, Just trying to get an idea of what I need to do on the DAT mostly. Thanks everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

To get in keep your average at what it is. on hte dat get a 18/18 and youll get in 19 and up you can almost pick the school you want. 21 up for harvard/ucla. youll do fine, but why are you taking it so early? i wouldnt take it untill july or aug. that way you can really concentrate on you studies for a month or so, and not worry about your other classes. also make sure you get your application in by june. have you gotten your schools preprofessional committee to write up an evaluation yet? get those things inorder now, and worry about the dat in hte summer. speaking from experience that is what i would do.

I second DrDMD's comments----You have great stats and seem to know what is going on---congrats! But don't rush to take the DAT----but do rush to start the application process. By being early you can alleviate a lot of un-due stress!!!! Definitely start working on your recommendations----get them lined up and choose them wisely. If you have a chance start working on the personal statement----at least kick the idea around a bit.
As for the DAT scores 18/18 is sufficient ---with your gpa--- to get you several interviews. Remember gpa and DAT are only a couple of things the admission boards look at----but it seems you are aware of that!
You have worked hard to put yourself in a great position-----now just finish it off with a good DAT and everything will work out fine. You'll do great!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the help but I am still a little confused. Don't I have to have the DAT in order to apply? If not, how does that whole thing work. Any explanation at this point would be a help. Am I at a disadvantage by waiting to the DAT in summer? Can I still get interviews without it? Thanks again.

No, you do not have to have your dat scores in before you apply through the application service (or disservice, what ever you prefer to call them). you need to get everything else in order first. apply on line at http://www.aads.jhu.edu/aadsas.html get this online part done first. think about the essay. get those letters to your teachers and have the aads totally finished by june. then apply to take the dat. take the summer to study, do kaplan if you want, just study study study for a month and then take it. the ada will send your scores to the schools you pick on the assd. and no you wont be hurt just as long as you take it before the end of aug.
"Thanks for the help but I am still a little confused. Don't I have to have the DAT in order to apply? If not, how does that whole thing work. Any explanation at this point would be a help. Am I at a disadvantage by waiting to the DAT in summer? Can I still get interviews without it? Thanks again."

[This message has been edited by DrDMD05 (edited 02-18-2001).]

Thanks again. When do schools start interviewing? Do the majority of people take the DAT after they turn in their applications? Seems kinda strange that dental schools will look at an application without test scores but I guess that is the way it goes. Anyone have any suggestions on the approximate # of schools that it would be a good idea to apply to? I am thing between 6 and 8. Is that too many? Too few? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Dental schools will want to have your DAT scores before making their final decisions. But what DrDMD is saying is there is a lot of things to get in order (lots of busy work to get done) and making the DAT a primary concern---right now----isn't necessary. Remember the earliest you can apply for 2002 is June 1st. Many school's deadlines are in early winter (nov.-jan.) So you have plenty of time to get your entire application completed! You are already one step ahead of the rest of the applicants by being concerned about timing.
So you should start your application on-line etc....(refer to previous posts) In May or (when school gets out) simply buckle down and give at least 3 weeks to study just for the DAT and sometime in June or July take it. You can send your application in to aads without your DAT scores----they'll send them to all your noted schools and when you take your DAT----they'll send them to all your appropriate schools too!!! Some schools will interview you based on all your other achievements and then make a final decision when the scores come in.

By all means----take the test when you feel ready. But speaking from experience it was nice to have some time in the summer to dedicate solely to review. But definitely get that app. started.

I think with your stats 7-8 schools such suffice. Remember to chose schools that appeal to you and what you want out dentistry. It can get kinda expensive flying all over the place doing interviews---so pick wisely. (not to mention filling out all those secondary appl.)

Here's a link on mean GPA and mean DAT adm. stats for the 1999 entering class. http://lifesci.rutgers.edu/~hpo/dstats.htm

Just a little side note, the trend in scores for both GPA and DAT have steadily risen over the last few years and will continue to do so. I would advise you in purchasing the Admissions and Stats book from AADSAS/ADEA for $25. This will save you time and money from applying to schools who only take state residents and allow you to compare stats, tuition/costs, # of out-of-state enrollees, # of seats, and other tidbits.

Kickbutt on the DAT and goodluck!

I was thinking about taking the DAT around the beginning of June I think. Does anyone know how long it takes for the scores to get to the dental schools? It would be nice for my application and DAT scores to get there around the same time, if possible. How long does the AADSAS take to process applications compared to the DAT scores? Thanks.

I had a rough time with the application process. AADSAS is incompetent. Just take that as it is. I took the DAT at the end of april so I could apply to AADSAS online and submit it on June 1 (the 1st day you can submit) because admissions is on a rolling basis at most schools. The sooner they get all your information the sooner they can ask you for an interview and the better chance you have to get in. As I said my DAT scores were ready in april (18/22), but by september there were some schools that didn't have them. AADSAS also had my application sitting on someones desk for 6 weeks because it supposedly had something missing. I called everyday and badgered them to send it out until we figured out that there actually wasn't anything missing and so then they sent it in september. I submitted it June 1st!! Now that I'm in to a couple schools I guess it's ok now but think what could have been if my application sat on someone's desk for another month or so. So keep calling AADSAS and the ADA to make sure your scores and application are moving through the process. It's a long and drawn out road with a lot of bumps. Good luck.

PS As an ohio resident get your apps in early because Ohio state is real competitive these days. I got deferred and I'm a resident. Word has it they accept they're top 100 and that's it. I don't expect them to dive into their waiting list. But your grades seem to be pretty good (better than my were that's for sure). I'm headed to "that school up north" for all the Ohio state fans. Not that I don't love the buckeyes...they just don't love me. That's ok though I don't mind michigan.

[This message has been edited by Jstream (edited 02-26-2001).]

Thanks for the additonal info. I am planning on getting my apps in on June 1. How can I prevent any AADSAS problems with my app? Any suggestions would be helpful. Also, does anyone know when the new applications come out? Thanks.