what do you think

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gabem480

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just checked the azcom website and to my suprise I saw a friend of the family listed on it this is what it said.

Why Increase the AZCOM Class Size?
  • Nationwide, there are 283 physicians for every 100,000 people. In Arizona, that number is only 207, even less in rural areas.
  • Arizona ranks 33rd in the country in numbers of physicians per capita.
  • The Arizona Physician Workfoce Study of 2006 concluded that Arizona needs 27,000 additional doctors by 2020 to keep pace with the growing population. That translates to 2,000 more physicians per year that are needed.
  • MWU has received letters of support from Janet Napolitano, Governor of Arizona; The Honorable Timothy Bee, President of the Arizona Senate; The Honorable James P. Weiers, Speaker of the House of the Arizona Legislature; and Jeffrey Morgan, D.O., Immediate Past President of the Arizona Osteopathic Medical Association.
Do you think a reccomendation letter from this person would boost my chances for acceptance?

Members don't see this ad.

Does this person have meaningful things to say about you, or would the letter be just be from an "important person", meant to add sparkle to your application? Unfortuanately this type of glittery letter may help some people at some schools (see the recent thread in the Pre-Allo forum about the UF student just accepted without MCAT or a formal application ), but I would ask myself this: Would you consider this person a good candidate to write you an LOR if they were not in a position of power or importance?

umm.... i smell jealousy

man, consider urself lucky i would totally do it if i were u

it won't hurt u, why not give it a shot?:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
umm.... i smell jealousy

man, consider urself lucky i would totally do it if i were u

it won't hurt u, why not give it a shot?:thumbup:

My message was taken from an LOR document distributed by my advisor. He notes that having an LOR from someone of status who doesn't really know you may not seem genuine can actually hurt your chances...
As I said, if this person can write a strong and meaningful recommendation for you, I also say go for it as the "status" on top of a good rec will not hurt. That being said, it should not be the only reason this person's letter is in your application

I don't think it will hurt your chances. If he knows you well enough to agree to write you a excellent (when you ask him specifically say excellent) LOR, then sure, why not?

I have known this person for around 10 years now he is my mothers boss at a small company he owns so he knows me pretty well also I have helped him with things like moving and things around his office so I am more than sure he would write me a great LOR another thing to mention is that if John McCain wins the presidency this person is off to washington to assist him.

I have known this person for around 10 years now he is my mothers boss at a small company he owns so he knows me pretty well also I have helped him with things like moving and things around his office so I am more than sure he would write me a great LOR another thing to mention is that if John McCain wins the presidency this person is off to washington to assist him.

...pretty big "if" if you ask me, but that's another story ;)

bro, don't listen to anyone.....GET THE FRIGGEN LOR. trust me, don't listen to any bs discouraging you. you don't need to get the letter ASAP as he sure as hell won't be going to DC (get it...McBush will lose). GO OBAMA!

I meant to reply "yep" to the fact that a guaranteed strong letter of recommendation, not from this "influential" person that hardly knows you, will go farther... IMO

I meant to reply "yep" to the fact that a guaranteed strong letter of recommendation, not from this "influential" person that hardly knows you, will go farther... IMO

Agreed, though my "if" was, as cameljockey referenced, aimed towards McCain going to Pennsylvania ave

Does this person have meaningful things to say about you, or would the letter be just be from an "important person", meant to add sparkle to your application? Unfortuanately this type of glittery letter may help some people at some schools (see the recent thread in the Pre-Allo forum about the UF student just accepted without MCAT or a formal application ), but I would ask myself this: Would you consider this person a good candidate to write you an LOR if they were not in a position of power or importance?

I agree with this and I fail to see where the jealousy comment comes into play. :confused: