What do you think?

ennis80

10+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2008
I am a non-traditional applicant. My UGPA: 3.30 as calculated by my school. 3.08 calculated by AMCAS. I am currently completing the pre-reqs as a post bacc student. If I complete the pre-reqs with a 4.0 my UGPA will be 3.26 AMCAS and BCPM will be 3.38. I also have a masters degree in human services with a 4.0 graduate gpa. I have been working for over two years as a case manager in a community health center in a rural/underserved area. I have other healthcare experience as well (CNA & EMT). I have extensive research experience in grad school including publications, and local, state, nationa, and international presentations. These are only the highlights. I have not taken the MCAT. I will not do so until next spring and I understand this is also a big factor. Thoughts?

Mobius1985

10+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2007
Your extracurriculars sound outstanding. It sounds like you'll have two to three years of straight A coursework (with the masters) by the time you apply, which helps to redeem your low GPA. Because you are nontraditional and older, I think it likely your application will get a close look, and that your GPA won't automatically disqualify you from further consideration. A good MCAT score will be important for you to prove that you "got" the prerequisite classes. A 34 would be nice, but if you are interested in continuing to work in rural/underserved areas and write about this in your personal statement, you will surely be accepted with a somewhat lower score. Possibly even a much lower score if you have a forgiving state school. I think the richness of your nontrad background will likely serve you well.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.