Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

What do you think?

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances? WAMC Medical' started by ennis80, Dec 1, 2008.

1. ennis80

I am a non-traditional applicant. My UGPA: 3.30 as calculated by my school. 3.08 calculated by AMCAS. I am currently completing the pre-reqs as a post bacc student. If I complete the pre-reqs with a 4.0 my UGPA will be 3.26 AMCAS and BCPM will be 3.38. I also have a masters degree in human services with a 4.0 graduate gpa. I have been working for over two years as a case manager in a community health center in a rural/underserved area. I have other healthcare experience as well (CNA & EMT). I have extensive research experience in grad school including publications, and local, state, nationa, and international presentations. These are only the highlights. I have not taken the MCAT. I will not do so until next spring and I understand this is also a big factor. Thoughts?

2. MilkmanAl

MilkmanAl Al the Ass Mod
    Physician 7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    Assuming you get that 4.0 for the rest of the way, you'll probably need something in the 33+ neighborhood on the MCAT to have a shot. You should be good to go in all the other aspects.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Mobius1985

10+ Year Member

Your extracurriculars sound outstanding. It sounds like you'll have two to three years of straight A coursework (with the masters) by the time you apply, which helps to redeem your low GPA. Because you are nontraditional and older, I think it likely your application will get a close look, and that your GPA won't automatically disqualify you from further consideration. A good MCAT score will be important for you to prove that you "got" the prerequisite classes. A 34 would be nice, but if you are interested in continuing to work in rural/underserved areas and write about this in your personal statement, you will surely be accepted with a somewhat lower score. Possibly even a much lower score if you have a forgiving state school. I think the richness of your nontrad background will likely serve you well.