What do you think?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doe87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.62 cGPA
3.49 sGPA
34Q MCAT
11 PS, 11 BS, 12 VR
NJ res

Student Gov Rep for an honor society
Chair on another honor society
Rugby Experience
A year and a half tutoring students from low income areas
One publication plus a submitted abstract from a different project (2 Total)
5 Years Lifeguarding
Maybe something else important...

Double Major: Chemical Engineering and Biology
Minor: Psychology

Wake Forest
BU(rejected)
U of Mich
USUHS
Both UMDNJ schools
Yale
Harvard
Duke
UPENN
U Pitt
Stanford
Georgetown
Albany
Hopkins
Mt. Sinai
Columbia
Cornell
Vandy

I don't really want to go to USUHS, Albany or either UMDNJ, but I figure I have a decent chance at those for various reasons.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Super top heavy.

Where is your clinical? How are you certain you want to be a physician if you don't have substantial exposure in the medical field?

If BU already rejected you outright, add some less selective schools. You have the numbers to gain an acceptance somewhere.

I go to Rutgers so it's practically impossible to get volunteering at the hospital. It's a huge waitlist. I also shadowed a neurosurgeon for a short while. BU has been rejecting people outright though. I've seen people with 40+ and 3.9 get rejected in the past couple of days. They get like 12000+ applicants and so a lot of their rejections now are quite arbitrary.

I also sent an app to Vanderbilt cause the secondary only comes if you get an interview, so it isn't too expensive. I'll admit a couple of those schools are out of my league. Based on the school selector, I should be all right. I also haven't had time to do a lot more because I usually have around 20 credits as well as a job to pay bills.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
3.62 cGPA
3.49 sGPA
34Q MCAT
11 PS, 11 BS, 12 VR
NJ res

Student Gov Rep for an honor society
Chair on another honor society
Rugby Experience
A year and a half tutoring students from low income areas
One publication plus a submitted abstract from a different project (2 Total)
5 Years Lifeguarding
Maybe something else important...

Double Major: Chemical Engineering and Biology
Minor: Psychology

Wake Forest
BU(rejected)
U of Mich
USUHS
Both UMDNJ schools
Yale
Harvard
Duke

UPENN
U Pitt
Stanford

Georgetown
Albany
Hopkins
Mt. Sinai
Columbia

Cornell
Vandy

I don't really want to go to USUHS, Albany or either UMDNJ, but I figure I have a decent chance at those for various reasons.

do your stats give you a realistic shot at these places?

According to the school selector, which I know is inaccurate, but is the easiest way to guess at these things, I'm pretty decent for Duke, Penn, Pitt, Stanford, Sinai and Columbia. The others you highlighted, not so much, but I figured I'd give them a chance.

Do you have no physician shadowing either?

I've had the opportunity to shadow a surgeon around, which was brought up in my PS more than anything, but it was not extensive.