What do you use to carry around your stuff?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dental555

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do most dental school students use to carry around their stuff at school? Are backpacks or messenger bags the norm, or something else? I figure with notes, laptop, books, phone/wallet/keys and all that, it could be a lot to carry at times.

Members don't see this ad.

Backpack for books and laptops + misc stuffs. I modified a tackle box for my lab equipment. :thumbup:

backpack for lunch and laptop. i try not to have too many printed notes/text. not because i care about the enviro, but rather my back.

So far, I do not have the need to carry equipment, as it is all in my drawers and nearby wall locker. But I am only a lowly D2, so that might change in next years lab classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cool thanks for the replies. I'm thinking about getting a messenger bag because I've had a backpack all my life and want to try something new, but also don't want to put unnecessary stress on my back.

If you carry around a laptop, are the type that buys and uses textbooks, and like study somewhere that isn't you home, I think you'll want a backpack.

As far as lab equipment, my whole row in preclinic pitched the tackle boxes the school gave us and bought the blue ones from Meijer. One of my smarter investments in dental school.

It doesn't matter......everyone has lockers, and when you get loupes you usually get a case with it. You can probably fit some extra equipment in there, spare batteries, etc.....

Varies, I see plenty of backpacks though. Personally I just carry my laptop (and only when I absolutely need it) in a little slip cover bag provided by the school, along with my coffee cup/tumbler in hand. Most people also use lockers, again something I've found not necessary (but people seem to really depend on them *shrug*). One classmate I used to sit next to would bring a backpack and another bag, often filled with snacks/food. :rolleyes: I should've taken advantage of her snacks, but I always felt bad asking.

I leave my loupes in one of my personal drawers at my lab bench, something I think most people don't do (they carry around that lunch pail case, or leave it in their locker). Lab coat just hangs in the car when needed. It's all just personal preference.