What do you use?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jammc89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I've just been admitted to dental school and I'm wondering what kind of device I should get for my studies. I currently own a macbook pro 2012. I'm thinking about purchasing either an iPad or surface pro 2. Is the surface pro 2 overkill? Do you guys have any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Shooot...even a pokedex will do if it can open power points

Reactions: 4 users
Haha so in that case, a surface pro would definitely be overkill

Members don't see this ad :)
A good MacBook is all you really need. All I use is the 13 inch mid 2013 MacBook Air.

Why would you need an iPad or other tablet? If you're planning on using it for e-Books or something, just use the e-Books on the MacBook in a separate desktop space that you can quickly switch to in OSX with a single hand gesture.

I would just stick with what you have; at least until you get a month or two of school under your belt. In all likelihood, what you have now will suffice but you will at least have first hand knowledge of whether or not you think a tablet will be useful if you wait to purchase it.

I've had an iPad, and in all honesty, just didn't find it that useful for school. I actually won it in a summer drawing from Chad since I subscribed to his videos (another reason why he is the best!), but I always defaulted to using my computer for studying. It just gets annoying on a tablet.

During dental school do you have to take notes on power points and or make drawings or something? If so, a surface would be great because it has a pen you can easily draw with. Works great for my undergrad classes where I have to draw mechanisms etc.. I'm not sure if you do that much in DS though.

Surface pro 2 is the way to go if you have the money. Use it with OneNote and you will save tons of time in terms of organizing all of your notes and outlines. The stylus makes switching between typing notes and drawing on diagrams easy, and it writes just like a normal pen would since it is digital. OneNote is extremely functional, its hard to explain but it just works really well. You can import or print any file type to it. After using my pro for a few semesters for dental school I don't think I could switch to anything else..even an ipad.

Last edited: