You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
What do you wear at your hospital pharmacy?
Started by Sparda29
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Business casual so polo and slacks. Only female pharmacists are allowed to wear scrubs.
I've seen the same thing.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Scrubs
Business casual. Never know who you're gonna meet and where they're going to take you in life.
Slacks, nice top and shoes.
I wear tennis shoes on the weekend 'cause that's what all of the doctors do.
Not sure if I could wear scrubs or not, but I don't own any and I'm not really interested in buying a bunch of scrubs so...
I wear tennis shoes on the weekend 'cause that's what all of the doctors do.
Not sure if I could wear scrubs or not, but I don't own any and I'm not really interested in buying a bunch of scrubs so...
Business casual so polo and slacks. Only female pharmacists are allowed to wear scrubs.
Why are the dress code rules always more relaxed for females? For males, there is only one option when it comes to professional dress, but for females you can throw almost anything together other than jeans and booty shorts.
Why are the dress code rules always more relaxed for females? For males, there is only one option when it comes to professional dress, but for females you can throw almost anything together other than jeans and booty shorts.
At least we don't have to wear make up though. 👍
That's because we look good without it, just like some females manage. Some less fortunate males could benefit from makeup.At least we don't have to wear make up though. 👍
I also wore business casual. Techs usually wore scrubs, although I never worked at a place where they had to; it was more for convenience.
At my old job, male pharmacists had to wear a collared shirt (the first few years, they had to wear ties but that rule was changed) but they hired an overnighter who wanted to wear scrubs, and because he wasn't there during the day, he was allowed to do so.
At my old job, male pharmacists had to wear a collared shirt (the first few years, they had to wear ties but that rule was changed) but they hired an overnighter who wanted to wear scrubs, and because he wasn't there during the day, he was allowed to do so.
I also wore business casual. Techs usually wore scrubs, although I never worked at a place where they had to; it was more for convenience.
At my old job, male pharmacists had to wear a collared shirt (the first few years, they had to wear ties but that rule was changed) but they hired an overnighter who wanted to wear scrubs, and because he wasn't there during the day, he was allowed to do so.
Yeah, our hospital requires ties. It's quite surprising, IMO since ties are mobile petri dishes. I don't think I've ever washed any of my ties, and I doubt that many guys do unless you spill food on them. Why would you want that tie flopping around in the IV hood?
Yeah, our hospital requires ties. It's quite surprising, IMO since ties are mobile petri dishes. I don't think I've ever washed any of my ties, and I doubt that many guys do unless you spill food on them. Why would you want that tie flopping around in the IV hood?
+1
That is a patient safety issue. I rather like wearing ties and I understand the looking professional for patients thing.. but who the hell cares what you look like if you are unintentionally euthanizing sick people with your tie all day.
Scrubs
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I can't believe JCHO allows tie wearing in the IV rooms. It would seem to me a tie at hood level would be more problematic than makeup on a face, and JCHO has banned makeup wearing in IV rooms.
I also think its pretty sexist that females would be allowed to wear scrubs, and not guys. I would think if a guy wanted to wear scrubs, there is no way the hospital could legally keep him from doing so, since they let females wear scrubs. Unlike ties--where the hospital could say there is a cultural norm of males wearing ties, there is no cultural or other reason to justify letting females wear scrubs and not males. Especially so, since males are wearing scrubs in other areas of the hospital.
I also think its pretty sexist that females would be allowed to wear scrubs, and not guys. I would think if a guy wanted to wear scrubs, there is no way the hospital could legally keep him from doing so, since they let females wear scrubs. Unlike ties--where the hospital could say there is a cultural norm of males wearing ties, there is no cultural or other reason to justify letting females wear scrubs and not males. Especially so, since males are wearing scrubs in other areas of the hospital.
I wear scurbs
I wear professional attire and it is required where I work, and I will probably will even if it is not. Unfortunately we are in a society where appearance is big, so if you want to be taken as a professional then you should dress as one. Plus, I really find scrubs ugly.
I agree on the tie thing in the IV room though, you shouldnt wear them when you are making IVs
I agree on the tie thing in the IV room though, you shouldnt wear them when you are making IVs
At my former hospital the IV room pharmacists wore scrubs, and everyone else was business casual. No ties required for men. All the techs wore scrubs.
Personally, I dislike scrubs, but that's just me.
Personally, I dislike scrubs, but that's just me.
I wear professional attire and it is required where I work, and I will probably will even if it is not. Unfortunately we are in a society where appearance is big, so if you want to be taken as a professional then you should dress as one. Plus, I really find scrubs ugly.
I agree on the tie thing in the IV room though, you shouldnt wear them when you are making IVs
Scrubs + lab coat are/should be the professional attire of the healthcare world. Suits are for finance majors.
Depending on what I am doing and wear I am going to be, I alter my attire. Mostly jeans/slacks and collared shirt/polo but I will wear scrubs if I wake up late😉
Depends on where I am working. If working dayshift in central pharmacy, 2nd shift and 3rd`shift, we are allowed to wear scrubs. If working a pod (decentralized) outside of the main pharmacy on dayshift, we wear professional attire and a labcoat. Technically the male pharmacists are supposed to wear ties, but they generally don't (except for management).
Scrubs + lab coat are/should be the professional attire of the healthcare world. Suits are for finance majors.
I agree 100%. Personally, when a physician or other healthcare worker wears scrubs and a lab coat I see them as more dressed for their profession. I would have to find the article, but I had read something a while back where ties were being discouraged as appropriate attire for healthcare professionals due to them carrying bacteria and possibly having a higher risk of spreading disease to other patients. I don't really know the validity of that statement but it is food for thought.
Last edited:
At my old hospital job pharmacists and techs could pretty much wear whatever. Scrubs were required for the IV labs and women (especially techs) could not wear makeup in the IV lab. I dislike both professional attire and scrubs...but I hate scrubs more.
Pharmacists in my system get the choice of professional dress or scrubs. I bought my first pair of scrubs last week. They're not my favorite, but it's kind of nice to get to be "part of the team," as a paid intern while IPPE students are rotating through in professional clothing.
Personally, I dislike scrubs, but that's just me.
Not just you. I used to wear scrubs, and stopped because they're ugly and in the winter when I'm on the subway they look like I'm wearing pyjamas to work under my winter coat.
Scrubs are the only clothing that look better when splattered with blood and bodily fluids.
Scrubs look like the required uniform of a totalitarian regime where only the elites get to wear normal clothes.
Not just you. I used to wear scrubs, and stopped because they're ugly and in the winter when I'm on the subway they look like I'm wearing pyjamas to work under my winter coat.
Scrubs are the only clothing that look better when splattered with blood and bodily fluids.
Scrubs look like the required uniform of a totalitarian regime where only the elites get to wear normal clothes.
If you wanna wear business casual by all means wear it. Only thing I hate about it is that it takes longer to get dressed in business casual wear, and it's not as flexible/comfy as scrubs.
When I walk around the hospital or go to the floors to go pull a chart or something, people think I'm some hospital administrator or something, not a pharmacist.
Yeah, our hospital requires ties. It's quite surprising, IMO since ties are mobile petri dishes. I don't think I've ever washed any of my ties, and I doubt that many guys do unless you spill food on them. Why would you want that tie flopping around in the IV hood?
What IV room do you work in where you do not need to wear a disposable gown when at the IV hood?
We are only allowed to wear hospital provided scrubs and disposable gowns in the IV room here.
What IV room do you work in where you do not need to wear a disposable gown when at the IV hood?
We are only allowed to wear hospital provided scrubs and disposable gowns in the IV room here.
The hospital where I work only requires you to handwash and wear disposable gloves. No mask, no hair net, no shoe covers, no disposable gown.
I've had rotations at hospitals where all they require is handwashing. I've also had rotations at places that were super strict, that required you to step on a static/sticky mat to remove things from your shoes, and where you had to wear shoe covers, hair net, disposable gown, disposable gloves.
I've had rotations at compounding pharmacies that were stricter than this for example, if you stepped outside the IV room and you touched something, you have to re-gown/sterilize.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The hospital where I work only requires you to handwash and wear disposable gloves. No mask, no hair net, no shoe covers, no disposable gown.
I've had rotations at hospitals where all they require is handwashing. I've also had rotations at places that were super strict, that required you to step on a static/sticky mat to remove things from your shoes, and where you had to wear shoe covers, hair net, disposable gown, disposable gloves.
I've had rotations at compounding pharmacies that were stricter than this for example, if you stepped outside the IV room and you touched something, you have to re-gown/sterilize.
Wow...
I would think they would be a lot stricter than that.
I'm pretty sure that counts as USP 797 High-Risk compounding. It still gets 24 hour stability at room temp. IIRC, they say high risk could even include drawing up bedside doses. Now if you're batching a bunch of IVs to use for the week, that's a different story...The hospital where I work only requires you to handwash and wear disposable gloves. No mask, no hair net, no shoe covers, no disposable gown.
I've had rotations at hospitals where all they require is handwashing. I've also had rotations at places that were super strict, that required you to step on a static/sticky mat to remove things from your shoes, and where you had to wear shoe covers, hair net, disposable gown, disposable gloves.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 3K
- Replies
- 8
- Views
- 4K