what do you wear on 2nd look? Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychgroupie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a second look tomorrow and am unsure of what to wear. Do I wear a suit? Or just slacks/skirt and shirt? And do I bring my white coat?

Please help!

Members don't see this ad.

I would still wear a suit. Technically a second look is like a second interview. Just as you are getting another look at the program, they're getting another look at you.

What's on the agenda? I think a suit it too much. I'm not sure how fashionable skacks are... :) Either choose a skirt or slacks.

White coat seems appropriate...particularly if you plan to round with a team.

Members don't see this ad :)
A nice slacks/skirt and a sweater-shirt would be good-I wore grey slacks and a nice black sweater for mine! It was a little cold to wear a skirt or I would have worn one! A lot of second looks involve following a resident for most of the day,going on rounds with the attending and team-a lot of walking,so wear something comfortable! If you are lucky you get to meet the PD as well. I have not seen the residents in psychiatry wearing a white coat,so I wouldn't suggest it. Good luck!

A second look is interview day # 2. Wear your interview clothes.

I just came from my 2nd look. Wore dress pants, long sleeves and a vest. Brought my white coat just in case, but nobody wore a coat during rounds. Comfy shoes are a must.

I would wear the type of "professional" outfit you wear on the wards. If you're spending the day following residents that seems more appropriate than a suit.

On my 2nd looks I wore dress pants and a sweater or dress shirt. Basically what I wear on the wards. And wear comfortable but appropriates shoes. The team will most likely not wear a white coat, but if you're worried just bring it with you in your bag.

Wear a suite, bring a white coat so you can switch jackets when you wander the wards.

Some psychiatry programs don't use white coats on their wards, just follow the trend of the residents/attendings. If they use a white coat, do a white coat, otherwise if they dont then dont.

As for the tie. I would advise to use a tie even if they dont use a tie. You are there to give them a good impression.