What do you wish you had known?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Propofool123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the pain fellows and attendings out there - what is something you wish you had known about the field or about your job opportunities when you were a resident?

Members don't see this ad.

A few things come to mind
1 FIRE is a good one
2. Take everything you hear with a grain of salt, unfortunately including from other pain physicians
3. Understand how reimbursement systems work for Office/Asc/HOPD.
4 Good patient outcomes are usually your best referrals.
5. Do what’s right by your patients, not your pocketbook. Your income will improve in the long haul.
6. Sometimes the best treatment you can provide is spending an extra 10 mins with someone.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Drug and device reps are not your friends. You can have good relationships with them(in fact, you should) -- but always keep in mind that if you stopped using their product they'd dump you in a second.

Reactions: 1 users
A few things come to mind
1 FIRE is a good one
2. Take everything you hear with a grain of salt, unfortunately including from other pain physicians
3. Understand how reimbursement systems work for Office/Asc/HOPD.
4 Good patient outcomes are usually your best referrals.
5. Do what’s right by your patients, not your pocketbook. Your income will improve in the long haul.
6. Sometimes the best treatment you can provide is spending an extra 10 mins with someone.
fantastic advice. As someone who is entering their 3rd year out of fellowship, I can definitely attest that all of these are true.

Drug and device reps are not your friends. You can have good relationships with them(in fact, you should) -- but always keep in mind that if you stopped using their product they'd dump you in a second.
Just like waitresses and strippers and not really into you..it’s all business and sales like 95% of life

Reactions: 1 user
Just like waitresses and strippers and not really into you..it’s all business and sales like 95% of life

speak for yourself. strippers LOVE me

Reactions: 1 users
It’s ok to tell patients you have nothing to offer. For my first 7-8 years I regarded this as defeat. It’s not and if you can’t learn to say this when appropriate you’ll quickly burn yourself out

Reactions: 6 users