What does a "deferred consideration" at Drexel mean?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheCruelOne

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so after staring at my letter for a while and doing some searching on SDN (I haven't been able to find anyone in this current/past threads that have gotten this status), I'm a little more confused. I'm wondering if anyone can enlighten me a little bit about what exactly my status is right now. My letter from Drexel says that "Although impressed with your credentials, the Committee has elected to defer consideration at this time." It goes on to say that my file's being placed on an alternate list to be further compared to the applicant pool. They had me indicate whether or not I agreed to be put on a temporary alternate list and it says they'll let me know when a final decision has been made.

I'm confused as to whether or not this is the same thing as being waitlisted or whether this just means they're essentially taking a little longer to decide on me. Should I basically consider this as a rejection or is there still any hope? I'm going to mail my letter out tomorrow and indicate that I'd like to be placed on the alternate list, but I'm still a bit confused as to what exactly that entails. If any current students or applicants know about what this means, I'd be really appreciative if you could let me know! I may try emailing them or calling them tomorrow to get a little bit more information about this.

Members don't see this ad.

Have you interviewed there?

I feel that this should be in the Drexel thread or in the SSD Forums. I'm not sure the general audience here can know what Drexel Med (or any specific school for that matter) wants. Things like alternate lists are processed at an individual school level, so it's difficult to understand this specific case, without getting specific input from others in/applying to that school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm guessing it's not a wait-list, more like a limbo where you could still get in or not, they just don't want to make the decision right now.

I feel that this should be in the Drexel thread or in the SSD Forums. I'm not sure the general audience here can know what Drexel Med (or any specific school for that matter) wants. Things like alternate lists are processed at an individual school level, so it's difficult to understand this specific case, without getting specific input from others in/applying to that school.

Just checked that thread and looks like OP has already asked this there, but hasn't gotten any responses yet.

Sorry yeah, I posted in the Drexel thread a little while ago, however I'm not sure if anyone really has any answers. I wasn't exactly sure where else I could post this, so I figured this might be the next best place. But yes, I've already interviewed here. To me, it sounds like I'm in a limbo stage where they still haven't yet made a decision, but I'm not entirely sure.

I just got the same exact decision from Drexel. Can anyone help out? Is this really waitlist or not?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using SDN mobile

I just got the same exact decision from Drexel. Can anyone help out? Is this really waitlist or not?

Hey! So I ended up emailing admissions a while back about this to formally get the answer from them, and yeah, basically the "deferred consideration" statement just means you're placed on the wailist. Hope that helps! Hopefully we'll both get off it.

Hey! So I ended up emailing admissions a while back about this to formally get the answer from them, and yeah, basically the "deferred consideration" statement just means you're placed on the wailist. Hope that helps! Hopefully we'll both get off it.
Thanks! Did you end up having to send them the letter back saying you're accepting the status?
Are you aware if there is a priority waitlist or not?

Ultimately, in general, unless you get a letter that says, "Accepted" or "rejected," nothing has changed and you may as well not really think about it too hard. Either way, deferred, waitlisted, post-interview without answer, and hold all mean the same thing: No final decision made.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks! Did you end up having to send them the letter back saying you're accepting the status?
Are you aware if there is a priority waitlist or not?

Yeah I did end up sending that letter back to them. And to my knowledge, the waitlist is ranked.