what does "applying early" include??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kabtq9s

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys.....just a quick question

I know the "apply early" rule but does that also go for your DAT scores?...because I know that you can submit your application and LOR early and then your DAT comes later... does applying early means turning in everything or just the application portion?...I am asking because I am planning to take the DAT in August and I don't know if thats really "early" , but I am going to turn in all my other application requirements in May...please help...\
thanks alot :) :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

you'll usually not be offered an interview until your file is complete which includes DAT scores. that being said I think you'll be just fine doing everything in may and the dat in august, since most schools do not start interviewing until september to october. plus the DAT doesn't have to go through aadsas for processing so as soon as you take it the schools will have your scores within a couple weeks.

If D-schools don't offer interviews until everything is in.....and having everything in by august is ok.......then why does everybody say "it is a must to apply in May" as soon as applications are available?

Also, what must one have compiled to be able to turn in an application? Transcripts, Personal Statement......

Members don't see this ad :)
new kid said:
If D-schools don't offer interviews until everything is in.....and having everything in by august is ok.......then why does everybody say "it is a must to apply in May" as soon as applications are available?

Also, what must one have compiled to be able to turn in an application? Transcripts, Personal Statement......

it's not a must to apply in may, but aadsas usually takes 4-6 weeks to process your application and get it out to the schools. so if you apply in mid may the schools will get it in june but the later you wait the longer the processing time becomes. by august, the rush hits and the time between you turning in the app and the schools getting it will be at least 6 weeks. plus, if you apply early and something goes wrong like you have to retake the dat or a letter of recc gets lost or something you still have time to fix the problem without your application becoming complete too much later in the cycle. anyways, the schools admit people on a "rolling" basis, so the general wisdom is the earlier the better, so if you can be organized enough to turn it in in may then why wait.
lets see: application, letters of rec, personal statement, transcripts, dat scores, application fee. some schools have extra stuff too like a 2x2 picture.

It's best to submit your AADSAS app as early as possible, because processing takes forever (6-8 weeks). Then after it's processed, they send the information out to the dental schools you are applying to, and these schools may then send out a secondary application for you to complete (as well as sending in a photo, fee, etc.). Therefore, it is best to get all this done as soon as you can since processing is slow. But taking the DAT in August ok is because your DAT scores are sent immediately to dental schools. So... apply early! I submitted mine on June 1st, and started getting interviews in August.

Thanks, that makes sense

I have one more question. I am going to school in spring and my transcripts proabably won't be ready until late june. Is that too late? Should I just apply in may and send an updated transcript? Should I just apply in may and not worry about my spring grades?

There's a section in the application for course work in progress and planned future course work. So if you don't have your grades for spring semester yet, go ahead and submit your application and have an official transcript mailed in when you have it. Even if AADSAS receives your transcript and LORs after your app has completed processing, they will forward them on to your schools when they do receive them. Also, some schools ask you to send in an updated transcript after every semester in your senior year too.