What does bubbling mean?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

going2breakdown

Hoop jumper extraordinaire
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question here concerning "bubbling". What does it mean when you bubble something in a reaction? I'm guessing that it just means running the gas through a liquid, kind of like blowing air through a straw into the liquid, except in chemistry, that gas may react with the liquid. Is this correct?

Members don't see this ad.

I have a question here concerning "bubbling". What does it mean when you bubble something in a reaction? I'm guessing that it just means running the gas through a liquid, kind of like blowing air through a straw into the liquid, except in chemistry, that gas may react with the liquid. Is this correct?

That is correct :)

Members don't see this ad :)
does bubbling have any advantage over just reacting liquid versions of each?

Not that I know of off the top of my head. It's just that sometimes you need to perform reactions involving reactants that are naturally gaseous at all reasonable temperatures. Easiest example I can think of would be any reaction involving CO2 as a reactant (think C1 extension/carbonation/carboxylation). You can simply bubble it through the solution (or drop in a bunch of dry ice and watch the bubbles appear from sublimation).