what does diversty mean to you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
K

KK82

Hi everyone,

I am not from california, just came here for school. cali is way more diverse from my hometown, so when schools ask this q is what they are trying to hit at?

I am applying to a lot of schools which serve underserved and poor communities. I want to do this bc I think that it is so wrong that ple have to depend on th er for medical services, just bc they can't afford it. What are your oppinions? What does medically underserved mean to you?

Members don't see this ad.

KK82 said:
Hi everyone,

I am applying to a lot of schools which serve underserved and poor communities. I want to do this bc I think that it is so wrong that ple have to depend on th er for medical services, just bc they can't afford it. What are your oppinions? What does medically underserved mean to you?

I'm confused as to what your question is. Your thread title says something about diversity, but the post is more about underserved communities. What are you asking?????

If it is the latter, then I was say underserved usually categorizes people in areas where there is not adequate healthcare workers, adequate access to medical equipment, tools, workers, etc. to treat those in need. Also, it categorizes people who are not able to afford proper healthcare due to lack of insurance, money, etc.

spend a few years dealing with the "underserved" and you'll probably change your tune. It takes more than an academic "understanding" of the problem to put up with all the crap. Which is why most everyone ends up in private practice in the suburbs.

Members don't see this ad :)
KK82 said:
underserved
no money, bad conditions, bad everything

give it a few months or yrs and then it can be discussed

Underserved=over-worked docs and nurses on shoestring budgets doing too much with almost nothing.

Not being able to afford medical insurance is the product of the environment of HMO's and lawyers. In short: too much bureaucracy, not enough medicine.

KK82 said:
well i meant serving underserved pop, and what diversity can you bring to your career.

what?

come application time for me if they do pull a diversity question on me i'm kinda scared what to answer it with

lets say if i do work with the under-represented, under-served, or under-privledged people sometime in the future before i apply, and then adcoms bust out a question like that, im scared their mentality would like, "Your asian and your telling me your can contribute to diversity just because you work at some so and so place? or you live in so and so?"

they asked questions like that on the SMEP app this year... has asians ever gotten into SMEP before?

byeh2004 said:
they asked questions like that on the SMEP app this year... has asians ever gotten into SMEP before?

yup!
there is were a few at my site (Rice/Baylor CM Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah Baby!)

Some of the places I've seen listed as "underserved" are actually very nice places to live...not horrible at all.

I would love to see the true definition, but I would have to say it's any area where there is a shortage of necessary healthcare.

Diversity is pretty much a completely different subject...I've had plenty of BS corporate training on "diversity".