what does it mean to apply early decision?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Halligan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did a search, and maybe I'm blind (I do wear glasses), but I found nothing.

A doc briefly mentioned to me today about the idea of "Applying early decision" to the school of my choice. She only applied to one school, and well, got into that one by applying ED.

What exactly is early decision? Is it the same as undergrad? The forums that I find about it, it seems that people are limited when they do apply somewhere early decision, and get stuck scrambling for other places to apply when they are rejected. Is this the case? Or can you still apply to a bunch of schools, and early decision to one? Is there a designation on AACOMAS for ED or do I have to call the school and say "hey, you're my early decision application choice"???

Thanks in advance!!!
- Kyle

Members don't see this ad.

I would call the school(s) you are interested in and ask them if they have an early decision process. Not all do and their policies on the matter could differ.

I hear applying for medical school ED does not make any difference in your chances of gaining an acceptance. It not like applying to ED college, much different....from what i hear.

I did a search, and maybe I'm blind (I do wear glasses), but I found nothing.

A doc briefly mentioned to me today about the idea of "Applying early decision" to the school of my choice. She only applied to one school, and well, got into that one by applying ED.

What exactly is early decision? Is it the same as undergrad? The forums that I find about it, it seems that people are limited when they do apply somewhere early decision, and get stuck scrambling for other places to apply when they are rejected. Is this the case? Or can you still apply to a bunch of schools, and early decision to one? Is there a designation on AACOMAS for ED or do I have to call the school and say "hey, you're my early decision application choice"???

Thanks in advance!!!
- Kyle
I believe that when you receive a secondary from them, you have a choice to apply early decision. It is much like college in that you can't have applied to any other schools besides that one and if you don't get in you have to scramble to apply to other schools. This is my understanding.