What does it take to become an Ob/Gyn?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CTH3989

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if it is the same as say, becoming a neonatoligist? To become a neonatologist you have to go to college for 4 years. Then Med school fo 4 years. Then 3-4 years of resiidency. Do you have to do all of that to become an Ob/Gyn? Do I have to focus on taking a lot of science classes still? Are there any certain classes I should take in high school and college? I'm a sophomore in high school and our 2nd semester starts tomorrow. I just want to know because I am trying to decide what kind of a doctor I want to be. Pleasehelp me. Thank you.

Chelci

Members don't see this ad.

just an fyi: neonatology is not just a 3-4 year residency. it is a fellowship after residency...not sure the length, but probably a total of 6-7 years after med school.

What you need to do at this point is do well in school, take some sciences & keep up in math. The specific classes in hs aren't too important, though. Go to college & take the prerequisites for med school (you don't necesarily have to be a biology or chemistry major if you don't want to). Grades in college are important for getting into medical school. *keep in mind that this is just a sweeping overview to give you an idea of what's coming up*

Members don't see this ad :)
DrMom said:
just an fyi: neonatology is not just a 3-4 year residency. it is a fellowship after residency...not sure the length, but probably a total of 6-7 years after med school.

Neonatology: college --> 4 years of med school --> 3 years of pediatrics residency --> 3 years of neonatology fellowship.

Thanks guys. What is the difference between residency and fellowship? I thought they were the same.

Chelci

Thank you. What is MFM/REI/Gyn-onc? Thanks in advance.

Chelci

MFM: Maternal-Fetal-Medicine, otherwise known as perinatology. An MFM expert deals with high-risk pregnancies.

REI: Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility - basically just what it sounds like...helping infertile couples make babies.

Gyn-Onc: GYN oncology - a Gyn-Onc deals with cancer of the female reproductive tract.

And don't leave out...

Uro-Gyn: Urogynecology/pelvic reconstructive surgery: Deals with disorders of the female urinary system, as well as problems with the pelvic floor.

All of those sub-specialities are 3 year programs after residency.

D. Ashley Hill, M.D. wrote a summary of the steps involved in becoming an Ob/Gyn. I hope after reading the summary that you don't change your mind about your career goals, CTH3989. For example, Dr. Hill states "the week I wrote this I worked 101 hours" :scared:

Come to think of it, I may need to take a second look at my own professional goals!

The summary can be found at http://home.cfl.rr.com/dahmd/train.htm

Good luck!

CTH3989 said:
I'm wondering if it is the same as say, becoming a neonatoligist? To become a neonatologist you have to go to college for 4 years. Then Med school fo 4 years. Then 3-4 years of resiidency. Do you have to do all of that to become an Ob/Gyn? Do I have to focus on taking a lot of science classes still? Are there any certain classes I should take in high school and college? I'm a sophomore in high school and our 2nd semester starts tomorrow. I just want to know because I am trying to decide what kind of a doctor I want to be. Pleasehelp me. Thank you.

Chelci

Hey Chelci, it's nice to hear you are interested in Ob/Gyn as a career. Just thought I'd put my two cents in. I am currently a fourth year med. student and interviewing for my Ob/Gyn residency. I simply wanted to say to you to enjoy college. Don't feel you have to be pressured to become a hardcore science major. You of course will be inundated with that in med. school. Feel free to explore other interests that you may have outside of the science field. I believe it will make you more well rounded and maybe less likely to 'burn out.' I myself was a philosophy major and I have many classmates who were psychology, anthropology and history majors. Also pick up some healthcare experience along the way, such as volunteering or becoming a phlebotomist which I hear is relatively easy to do in college. This will keep you interest up and give you insight to what it's like to work in the hospital environment. Hope any of this helps. Keep up the good work! :)

Hey again. If you visit APGO.ORG click on 'welcome' and then 'for medical students.' At the top of the page you will see a link for those interested in ob/gyn as a specialty. I believe it outlines what the career is like and steps involved and other fun stuff.

Thank you all for your information. I can't wait to graduate from high school to get started on my career. Thank you again.

Chelci

Quick Question : I am doing a project on the career I would like to pursue. What are working condition like for most neonatologists?

Thanks, Lyssa

lyssa317 said:
Quick Question : I am doing a project on the career I would like to pursue. What are working condition like for most neonatologists?

Thanks, Lyssa

Maybe you should ask this in the Pediatrics forum, since you have to be a pediatrician before you become a neonatologist. OB/GYNs aren't neonatologists.