What does one need for Ortho?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DO_Surgeon

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been posting here lately concerning general surgery, but what about ortho? What scores does one need to be competitive for ortho. Again here are my stats...75th percentile on COMLEX 1 and I am in the top 10-15% of my class. I know my COMLEX score isnt stellar, so since I am not in the 90th percentile does that already exclude me from the club? I have yet to do a ortho rotation but am considering setting one up. I have no research experience, but think i will be getting some good letters of rec. Any advice? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

you should take the usmle.

I am talking about DO ortho programs...The jury is still out whether or not I am going to take the USMLE for general surgery programs

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there really hospitals that let DO's operate?

Originally posted by Don Vito
Are there really hospitals that let DO's operate?

No. We must operate in Tijuana or in alleys, whatever is more filthy that day. Its tough out there. No respect I tell ya, no respect (tugs on collar).

GO FOR IT.

Two guys from our school just matched Ortho with COMLEX I scores in the high 70s to low 80s.

If this is something that you really want to do, I think you have what it takes academically. You'll just have to show that to the people you are auditioning for. Be friendly, work hard, and look intelligent. You'll match.

When it comes to Surgery, this is one field you can really shine at by what you do and not how you test.

hey, so whats your all opinion on taking when to take comlex 2, i have the same sorta numbers as U, ive heard from some of the DO ortho places u dont need it in the appliation. DO u think with our numbers we shoujld tak e it. or wait till january