What does ORM stand for?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Red_matahari

Reaction score
Its on everyones signature and I have no idea what it stands for

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Over Represented (in) Medicine

Reactions: 1 user
Over-represented in medicine — e.g.: Asians, Caucasians.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
or Operational Risk Management

ORM = over represented minority.

Typically, it's used to refer to someone of Chinese-American, Korean-American, Japanese-American or Indian-American heritage in the context of higher education admissions.

Hispanics too? I thought they were URM.

Depends on nationality and location. Down here in Miami, Cuban Americans physicians outnumber their Asian and Indian counterparts.

However there’s a huge Central American population with rather minimal physician representation...hence physicians with a cultural makeup similar to that population is highly sought after.

Reactions: 2 users
Might not matter anymore in a few weeks when Harvard is done getting sued.

Are Caucasians over-represented in Medicine? If anything they would be underrepresented based on AAMC's definition of underrepresented. Caucasians make up 77% of Americans. They definitely don't make 77% of the physician base in America (around 58%).

I always though ORM referred to: Chinese-American, Korean-American, Japanese-American, other oriental groups, Indian-American or other Southeast Asian countries?

Are Caucasians over-represented in Medicine? If anything they would be underrepresented based on AAMC's definition of underrepresented. Caucasians make up 77% of Americans. They definitely don't make 77% of the physician base in America (around 58%).

I always though ORM referred to: Chinese-American, Korean-American, Japanese-American, other oriental groups, Indian-American or other Southeast Asian countries?
Even with those numbers, simply out, over half of all doctors are Caucasian. That's ORM. At the minimum, they're sure not URM.

Reactions: 1 users
Ah I see! Does SDN consider low socioeconomic status as an URM, or is that only in reference to ethnic and racial minorities?

This is school specific. Forget what SDN has to say.

Adcoms like come from behind stories. It's in our national DNA

I'm just trying to interpret all the acronyms here ^_^
But thanks for the tidbit!

looks like M became Medicine not Minority :)