What does the term "hollow viscus" mean?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

watermen

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really do not know what the term "hollow viscus" mean, would someone please kindly explain to me?

Members don't see this ad.

I really do not know what the term "hollow viscus" mean, would someone please kindly explain to me?

I'm not going to look up a definition of "viscus", someone else can take the time to do that.

Generally, I hear it used to mean any hollow organ in the abdomen (ie - various portions of the GI tract).

It depends on the context,

If you're rounding on surgery, and the attending states that this patient's hollow viscus needs your attention, then it generally means an abdominal organ with a lumen will need to be operated on...

however if you're checking in on a patient late at night and the gorgeous nurse comes in and says her hollow viscus needs your attention.... :laugh: well step right up smooth operator... :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Viscus is the singular form of viscera - ie, an organ inside of the body, usually in the abdominal cavity.

A hollow viscus is an organ that isn't solid:

the liver doesn't count, the small bowel does, for example. Think of it like manicotti for the body...it can be stuffed with things like excrement.

Does that help?

Viscus is the singular form of viscera - ie, an organ inside of the body, usually in the abdominal cavity.

the liver doesn't count, the small bowel does, for example. Think of it like manicotti for the body...it can be stuffed with things like excrement.

Does that help?

good answer, OP - always trust the surgeon in the bloody white coat.

Does that help?

Thanks for the explanation. I always find this place useful. I certainly can't ask this kind of question in my rotation. The attendings or residents are probably going to think that I am idiot.

Is the peritoneal cavity counted as hollow viscus?

No. It is a cavity. Small bowel, large bowel, stomach, esophagus are generally hollow viscous organs. Spleen, liver, pancreas are not. Depending on whom you talk to, urinary bladder and uterus either are or are not, and if you are arguing with a surgeon, you will be wrong, regardless of what you are arguing about. ("No, my name is Dr.McNinja" "No it's not" "Yes it is, look at my namebadge" "Are you saying I'm wrong?")

Thanks for the explanation. I always find this place useful. I certainly can't ask this kind of question in my rotation. The attendings or residents are probably going to think that I am idiot.

Not that DrMcNinja is wrong, but as a surgeon, I like to hear/see myself talk so felt the need to post again in response to your query!;)

Since the peritoneal cavity is NOT an organ, it is NOT a viscus, and cavities are not hollow and therefore does not qualify as a hollow viscus.

Does that help?

I'll never look at a manicotti the same again. Thanks! :laugh:

I said I'll never look at a manicotti the same. I never said I wouldn't eat one again. Big difference. ;)

It was a good analogy, though.