What does UCLA look for in an underdog non-trad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medworm

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious. I am an older applicant with underdog stats, and am amazed that they granted me an interview. I suppose it's the life experience, but still it's all a mystery to me. Do they really value life experience leadership that much? And since they granted me an interview, does that mean my stats are acceptable? Will they continue to look at my stats when they make a final decision on me? Or is the final decision primarily based on the results of the interview? Does any current/past UCLA medical student know? Thanks and good luck everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Absolutely. The school is very interested diversity and life experience. I came here straight out of undergrad and am one of the youngest in my class. Your stats are important, yes, they don't count for everything. Just do your best to charm them during the interview and wait to see what happens. They wouldn't be interviewing you if they hadn't see something that shined in your application! Good luck! :D

Members don't see this ad :)