What does your re-applicant personal statement look like?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How are you changing your re-application personal statement?

• I'm not updating my personal statement at all.

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • I'm tweaking my personal statement

Votes: 16 44.4%
  • I'm re-writing the whole thing.

Votes: 18 50.0%

• Total voters

jellybird

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought we should start a discussion about the re-applicant personal statement. There is a lot of debate about whether or not to re-write it, to tweak it, or to submit the same one. I'm not interested in starting an advice thread specifically, but it would be great to hear how people are going to address this part of their application.

The first time I applied was for 2006 admission. I wrote about some interesting experiences I had as a teacher, and how they related to medicine.

I'm going to re-apply this spring for 2008 admission. I plan to write about what I learned from the rejection and how it applies to medicine, address the weaknesses in my application, and discuss what interesting things I've been up to since I've last applied.

I decided that the essay needed to be re-written for the following reasons.

1. Even though I really liked my original essay, it obviously didn't work for me the first time around. It was great for a lot of reasons, but it needs to go.
2. It's been two years since I first applied and a lot has changed in my life. To use the same statement would be a diservice to myself.
3. In those two years my desire to be a doctor has been strengthened by a number of factors, including my original rejection, that I would like to discuss.
4. My original essay didn't address the less than stellar parts of my application. I thought the great parts of my application would make up for the weak parts. Clearly not. Now it's time to mention them and move forward.

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I am also planning to rewrite the whole thing....
Previously, I think I concentrated too much on my background and how this effected my decision to pursue medicine...
It's been two years since I last applied, and since then, I have gained more experience in the field and I want to write about what I've learned and what kind of doctor I want to be...

I applied 3 times. I used the same statement the first 2 times. With the 3rd, I changed it completely. The first statement was your basic why medicine and experiences to support. With the 2nd it was much more creative, more like something out of reader's digest than a basic informative piece. The majority of my interviewers said they loved my PS (2nd one). I ended up with an acceptance a couple of weeks later. Although 2 more points on the MCAT didn't hurt either, so I can't really say it was the PS alone.

IMO, I would make it fun and interesting...something that the reader will enjoy and remember. If your interested in reading it, send me a tell and ill forward it to you, hopefully it will give you some inspiration.