what else should I do for extracurriculars?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thisismyacct

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So far I've been volunteering at 1 place for several years now, work experience at a somewhat unique job (especially for a college student), but I don't have much else. My GPA is also pretty low (I intend to do a post-bacc and master's program). I'm gonna start shadowing soon.

What else should I do? what do you guys recommend?

Members don't see this ad.

So far I've been volunteering at 1 place for several years now, work experience at a somewhat unique job (especially for a college student), but I don't have much else. My GPA is also pretty low (I intend to do a post-bacc and master's program). I'm gonna start shadowing soon.

What else should I do? what do you guys recommend?
I highly recommend teaching in some capacity! My only extracurriculars were being a micro lab TA, biology lecture assistant, and chess club member. Ended up getting 13 interviews

Reactions: 1 user
Maybe if your UG has a program where you can be a learning assistant or teaching assistant of some sort would be good for you because of your GPA? It can also help reinforce the info for the DAT

Members don't see this ad :)
Shadowing, amature sport, academic club, non academic club, health related volunteering, dental volunteering, non health related volunteering, paid employment. Tons of stuff you can do. Whatever it is though make sure you enjoy it and can speak passionately about it.

I've recently started volunteering at a homeless shelter, and it's been enjoyable so far. There's always a variety of activities to help with/to do. In addition, the hours work perfectly with my schedule as it's open 24/7, and volunteers are free to jump in almost whenever. So if you have a homeless shelter in your area, I'd definitely recommend volunteering there.

Also, you could look into after-school tutoring programs, food banks, and nursing homes as they are usually looking for volunteers, and there should be plenty in your area. D-schools are looking for service oriented volunteering activities, so keep that in mind when looking for other opportunities.

How do you think it'll look if at the 1 place I've been volunteering at I've done all sorts of things, such as coordinate events, help tutor students, sort through donations, etc. It's a religious place btw if that makes a difference.

Maybe if your UG has a program where you can be a learning assistant or teaching assistant of some sort would be good for you because of your GPA? It can also help reinforce the info for the DAT

I'm gonna try to get something like that.

Shadowing, amature sport, academic club, non academic club, health related volunteering, dental volunteering, non health related volunteering, paid employment. Tons of stuff you can do. Whatever it is though make sure you enjoy it and can speak passionately about it.

I'm gonna try some of these. I like the sport idea. Any non-health volunteering you would recommend?