what else should I do? where else should I look?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blindchaos

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I need some advice (don't we all :p ). This fall I will be applying to clinical psyd and phd programs (second time around). I am currently in an MA in counseling psych program, though in my personal opinion it seems more like a clinical psych program. Anyway, here are some of my stats/info

GRE: 1310

Undergrad GPAs (from competitive private university) 3.54 Psych, 3.42 overall

Current grad GPA: 4.0

Strong recs

Prior work experience: RA (resident assistant, not research), intern in a guardianship program - worked with adults with developmental disabilities. Member and officer in a school-based club working with children with Autism and Asperger's. Worked in a drug/alcohol rehab facility, including working in detox. Counselor and program assistant @ a camp for children with physical (and sometimes mental) disabilities.

Current work experience: school of professional psychology student government rep for my masters program. working in a set of group homes for adults with severe mental disabilities as a residential counselor. volunteering in shelters for battered women and children.

Will be joining Psi Chi (grrr why didn't I just join in undergrad??), joining a research team focused on children. Will be getting an internship focusing on child psych within the next month (as a part of the masters program - 20 hrs per week for a year).

My long term goal is to be a child psychologist working in either private practice or group home/managed care facilities. I am drawn to more severe pathology. Here are some schools I am currently looking at (all PhD programs listed are more clinically focused or provide a specific track for clinician-bound students):

Denver U - PsyD
Xavier - PsyD
Marquette - PhD
Pacific U - PsyD
Washington State U - PhD

MAYBE: Widener U, Pepperdine, ???

My question is - what can I do to strengthen my app? what other programs should I look at given my interests? (will be contacting profs ahead of time to verify/discuss fields of interest) Any/all advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

I know I didn't apply to enough programs the first time around (applied to 5, got an interview at one and got wait-listed at another) so my goal is to apply to 10-15, probably closer to 15. I think this time around should be a lot better, got frustratingly close the first time and have gained more experience since then plus will have my MA (and will hopefully keep my 4.0). Please help!!! :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

Well, your numbers look good and your clinical looks great. My only advice would be to get research experience if you are applying to any Ph.D. programs. Even though you are looking at programs that are more clinically focused, Ph.D. programs are notoriously funded through grants, which means research is vital.

On a side note, I can tell you that I interviewed at Xavier (I assume you mean in Cincinnati) in February and I really liked their program. They don't have you apply for or even interview with a specific professor, so I'm not sure that calling will help you at all. You won't choose a mentor until year two (I think) when you choose your disseration topic. It ain't cheap though!!

Thanks - I really do like Xavier (yes, I did mean the one in Cincy). I actually applied there the first time around - that's the one I was wait-listed at. I'm feeling more confident with my chances there now since I was wait-listed without the MA and a good chunk of my clinical experience. I'll be joining the research team of one of my profs to try and get some experience there. Any suggestions as to what other programs I should consider?

Members don't see this ad :)
Other than the research experience, which was already brought up, I really think what killed you the last time around was that you didn't apply to all that many programs. I think if you have good matches and apply to 10-15 programs you will be more than okay this time. Good luck, and welcome to the boards :).

Thanks guys! Outside of gaining research experience (which I'm working on) and applying to more programs - any other advice? Or any other programs you would recommend looking at?