What equipment do you take into the woods?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

augmel

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was reading the thread about what people keep in their cars for emergencies. My thought is basically 'who cares' as an ambulance is generally right around the corner. However, I have often thought about what to take when backpacking. Is it ridiculous to take a couple ET tubes (assuming you know how to use them) in your pack? It would suck to try and bag someone for hours but it would suck worse to watch someone's airway close miles from help. On the other hand, if you need a tube way out there, isn't it kinda too late for crazy interventions? Just wondering what people thought.

Members don't see this ad.

et tubes is probably a little overkill. I carry some trauma dressings, a basic first aid kit, a skin stapler or 2, a suture set and some sutures and a good supply of narcotic pain meds and nsaids.also some epi for subq use for allergic rxns, etc. when I climb at altitude I bring injectable decadron, procardia, and a few other meds for acute mountain sickness and other altitude emergencies(h.a.p.e., h.a.c.e.)
if you are in the middle of nowhere and need et tubes and other major acls interventions you are probably screwed unless help is close by. (I always bring my cell phone too).....

I guess it depends on what you would be willing to do in the woods. On my mountain rescue team our Paramedics carry ET tubes and laryngoscopes, basic cardiac drugs, morphine and narcan just in case, some 16 guage, 18 guage, and 20 guage angiocaths, a couple of liters normal saline, D-50, and macrodrip sets. The other equipment (suction, BVM, etc) are carried in team packs. As an EMT-B I carry just a stethescope, some gauze and tape, cravats, a CPR mask, and a set of oral and nasopharyngeal airways. If our Physician Advisor allowed EMT-B's with IV training to start IV's I would also carry a bag of Normal Saline, a macrodrip set, and a few various sized angiocaths along with D-50. Even though this is for the rescue team I take (and would take) the same stuff when just backpacking (my fiance is a Type 1 Diabetic hence the D-50). I am sure our Paramedics do the same.

Immodium.

I've heard one EM physician talk about how all you really need in the woods is duct tape and safety pins!