What exactly do I have to do by April 30?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocKoozmin

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently selected "plan to enroll" at one of the schools I was accepted to, but what do I do for the others? Do I have to manually withdraw from every other school before the 30th? I read from the AAMC that I can still hold on to waitlist decisions, but what do I do if I get off a waistlist? Do I immediately have to update my "plan to enroll" and withdraw from the previous one?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes you do, and I would do it ASAP

You should do this as quickly as you can
AMCAS Traffic Rules
If you receive additional acceptances following April 30, it is your responsibility to promptly notify any school(s) you have decided to not attend. Your decision should be made by the deadline established by the medical school(s).

Acceptees Please Be Aware of both the deadlines and conditions for each school's CTE:
It is up to the acceptee to know the specific rules for the medical schools that have accepted you. This means when their deadline is and the conditions. For those who are on WL, it is the date for the school where you hold an acceptance that matters. Do not screw around with these dates with the hope that a WL will come thru. This also means you should remain of WL of schools that you will immediately accept if offered. It is likely you will have to make that decision almost immediately and without any financial aid information. So you should know you answer now
And just to clarify, by manually withdraw you simply mean to email each school correct? In other words, there isn't a "withdrawal" button on AMCAS right?

I currently selected "plan to enroll" at one of the schools I was accepted to, but what do I do for the others? Do I have to manually withdraw from every other school before the 30th? I read from the AAMC that I can still hold on to waitlist decisions, but what do I do if I get off a waistlist? Do I immediately have to update my "plan to enroll" and withdraw from the previous one?
You're good as long as you are PTE at the school you intend to attend as of now. You are supposed to withdraw from the other As, but the penalty for not doing so is that they will see your other PTE and either rescind your A or reach out to you to ask what's going on. So, withdrawing is the right thing to do since it might open up a spot for someone else sooner rather than later, but, the sky won't fall on you if you don't. If and when you get off a WL, you'll receive instructions with a deadline regarding either changing your PTE or declining the new A.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a buffer period when you withdraw acceptances on April 30? What if you withdraw on April 30 and it does not get processed until after April 30? Can the school you selected a PTE for rescind your acceptance on May 1 (assuming the school enforces the AMCAS guidelines as their acceptance policy)?

Reactions: 1 users
Is there a buffer period when you withdraw acceptances on April 30? What if you withdraw on April 30 and it does not get processed until after April 30? Can the school you selected a PTE for rescind your acceptance on May 1 (assuming the school enforces the AMCAS guidelines as their acceptance policy)?
No, because they can't see it anyway. Enforcement only goes the other way. (Presumably, the schools you are withdrawing from would rescind you on or after 5/1 if you didn't withdraw because you didn't meet their PTE deadline.) Keep in mind, nobody can see acceptances, wait lists, or withdrawals for any school other than their own. The only thing schools where you hold As or WLs can see is PTE/CTE.

Reactions: 1 user