What exactly does "letter ffrom science faculty" mean?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hi,

Most schools ask for at least 2 letters of rec to be from "science faculty".

If I received units from my university to do research with a physics professor at a near-by university. Does a letter from that professor count as a letter from science faculty? Why or Why not? How do you know?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Science faculty = member of the faculty of any science department. Yes, your physics professor is an LOR from science faculty because as a professor, he is a member of the faculty.

Thanks for responding! Just to double check, you are aware that I did not take a class with this person right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sometimes, schools will specifically ask that you send a letter from science faculty who taught you in a course (from the website). You could always call and ask to see if your research LOR will be accepted as one if the two science LORs.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd assume it would be accepted as a letter from science faulty, but yeah I've sometimes seen it mentioned that it should be someone who's taught you. I agree with calling to check if it's unclear.

It is always best to check with the schools you'll be applying to but a professor who supervises you in an activity for which you receive college credit sounds like "faculty" who have taught you because you were in the lab to learn. If the professor's appointment is in Biology, Chemistry, Physics or Math you are golden. Even if it is engineering you might be fine.

Hi,

Most schools ask for at least 2 letters of rec to be from "science faculty".

If I received units from my university to do research with a physics professor at a near-by university. Does a letter from that professor count as a letter from science faculty? Why or Why not? How do you know?

Thank you!
Often times they mean bio, chem, Biochem or physics. The natural sciences, not a health science like nutrition or exercise physiology for example, unless they are offered by those natural science departments.

It is always best to check with the schools you'll be applying to but a professor who supervises you in an activity for which you receive college credit sounds like "faculty" who have taught you because you were in the lab to learn. If the professor's appointment is in Biology, Chemistry, Physics or Math you are golden. Even if it is engineering you might be fine.

What about neuroscience & behavioral biology? Would that still work?

Look at their academic appointment - this is usually available on either the department's website or the faculty member's site. If their appointment is in a science department, then you'll be fine. Based on those subjects that professor is likely in the biology department, so you'd be fine.

Physical Science is science.
Social science, humanties, journalism, are not.
Engineering especially biomed engineering might be a gray zone.
Basically, you want writers who can address your performance in academic settings, particularly in BCPM.

Keep in mind that the purpose of the letter is not to rehash your other activities that the writer has not witnessed. Ask your writer to focus on what they know about you from direct observation and not your resume and transcript.

Reactions: 1 users
Instead of starting a new thread, I will ask a related question here.

Would food science and/or nutrition faculty count for a science letter?

Thanks in advance.

Instead of starting a new thread, I will ask a related question here.

Would food science and/or nutrition faculty count for a science letter?

Thanks in advance.

It depends what department the course is offered through. If a nutrition class was through the bio department, then it would count as bio. Science = bio, chem, physics, math

Depends on the school. My UG has a neuroscience program but it's part of the psych department and some of the schools I applied to wouldn't consider letters from neuroscience profs as science LORs because of this. Some schools did though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk