What exactly due the due dates mean on AAMC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SleeperSully

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm confused about the due dates for AAMC. The due dates for applications start September 15th and yet everyone is pressuring me to start submitting ASAP. I'm trying to hold out in case I can get a shadowing position between now and September. I don't really understand the concept of having applications due so late if it's highly encouraged to submit in June/July. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

You should definitely submit in June, or as close to it as possible. While the official due dates are much later, submitting in September is not going to bode well for your chances.

Most schools are rolling admissions, meaning first come first serve, so the earlier the better. You don't want to submit in september and be last.

Members don't see this ad :)
Applications are reviewed continuously. It takes about 3 weeks at peak times (right now) to be verified after submission. Secondaries must then be filled out, CASPer must be sent in if schools on your list require it; which, if you haven’t taken it already, also takes 3 weeks to arrive after the test date.

Interview invites start going out in August (some schools have already sent out the first IIs). So, if you submit in September then you are looking at verification in late September/early October, then you might be complete in October when > 50% of all interview spots in the cycle have already been filled and thousands of other apps are under review along with yours. In short, you are competing with far more people for far fewer interview spots then you would’ve had you submitted in July. Unless you are a very outstanding candidate (LizzyM >80, pedigreed, killer ECs) then this is a surefire recipe for disaster.

Submit as soon as the primary application is ready (meaning free of errors and revised). If something significant happens, you can update schools later.

One shadowing experience won't make or break your app.
Don't make the regret of submitting super late just to add one activit that will improve your app by 1%

Reactions: 1 users