What exactly is a Letter of Interest and why/when do you send one ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Putkernerinthehall

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I see reference to "updates" and "LOI's." What is a letter of interest ? What would such correspondence look like and when would you send ? Seems this is different than simply updating your portal with a note about a recent publication. Appreciate any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

A letter of interest is a worthless communication pre-meds send to schools because when you apply to a school, you are already showing your interest. Sometimes they're sent after the fact by clueless and desperate candidates because they think that med schools are desperate for students; they're not. These usually go, "I am still interested in attending"......which is a helpful and Jack saying to Jill, "I'm still interested in taking you to the prom."

Members don't see this ad :)
A letter of interest is a worthless communication pre-meds send to schools because when you apply to a school, you are already showing your interest. Sometimes they're sent after the fact by clueless and desperate candidates because they think that med schools are desperate for students; they're not. These usually go, "I am still interested in attending"......which is a helpful and Jack saying to Jill, "I'm still interested in taking you to the prom."
Updates to my portal for a pub, for example, is a smart move though ?

I don't know about other schools, but I believe Wake Forest requires a letter of interest to maintain a position on their waitlist. At some schools its a meaningless waste of time and with others its a necessity.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know about other schools, but I believe Wake Forest requires a letter of interest to maintain a position on their waitlist. At some schools its a meaningless waste of time and with others its a necessity.
And how does one know this information for the specific schools?

I know this has come to be a near daily thread on SDN, but I just want to say that LOI's aren't necessarily useless in my opinion. Many schools explicitly state that they welcome them.

Putkernerinthehall said:
I see reference to "updates" and "LOI's." What is a letter of interest ? What would such correspondence look like and when would you send ? Seems this is different than simply updating your portal with a note about a recent publication. Appreciate any advice.
If you write a LOI, it should stand out. Keep it brief.
Don't send a LOI to every school that offered you an interview, either--it's a small world.
Good luck