What exactly is "hold"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A

Amitha726

I got a letter from one school I applied to a while ago stating that I am "on hold." I see that many of you are in the same situation. What exactly does that mean? I kind of assumed that it's the same as just not hearing anything... not a rejection, but not an interview either. Should I be any more hopeful about a school that put me on hold than one that did not? Do all schools do the hold thing, or not? Please explain!

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't received THAT kind of hold, but from reading other posts, it seems that the school is still interested in you, but they are looking at other candidates first. It seems like it may be a polite way of saying "don't-hold-your-breath-for-an-interview-but-you-might-still-have-a-chance".

The type of hold I'm on is post-interview. They're going to finish interviewing all the other applicants, then establish an alternate list. This means that after everyone else has interviewed, I'll either get accepted, put on the alternate (wait) list and wait for other to decline, or get rejected outright. If you think about it, it just means I'm no closer to getting in now than I was before the interview. Just more nail-biting....

Ps-some schools have true "wait-lists" (I'm on one of those too)...the kind where you interview and they either accept you, reject you immediately, or put you on a waitlist. To me, this is MUCH more preferable, as you're just hoping for someone else to turn down their seat....

I was put on hold for an interview at UCSD. I called them up and they said I have the option of requesting them to re-review my file ONCE more and that I should use that option when I have some updates that I could add.

Since I am not interested in the school anymore I did not request for them to look at my file.

By the way, they sent that hold notice to me back in September. And I have not heard anything from them since. I am just assuming unless I ask them to review me again, I'll get rejected.

I would contact the admissions office of your school to see what they recommend.

Members don't see this ad :)
CobraGirl, you are much closer than you were before the interview. You had an interview. That's a step forward compared to not even being invited to an interview. Instead of being on the outside peering over the fence, you are now inside in the holding pen.

You will have to hold your breath, probably for a long time, but you won't necesssarily die from it. The greatest movement from wait-lists generally occurs beginning in June. By then, med schools have printouts from AMCAS of applicants holding multiple acceptances at that medical school and others. Those applicants are sent letters giving them deadlines to say yes or no; no's are dropped allowing movement, no responses at all are dropped, allowing movement. There is a vulgar expression for that kind of ultimatum, involving "or get off the pot", which you may know but which I am loathe to use in a public forum!

Multiply accepted applicants ought to be thinking NOW of prioritizing instead of waiting until they have a gun pointed at their head. They ought to short-list early, opening places that might be filled earlier by you, CobraGirl, or others chewing their fingernails. Where is all the selflessness that so many premeds profess as their motivation for medicine when they gather acceptances without making efforts to begin making decisions now? Of course decisions can be made without waiting to know all the acceptances that may be offered. It uses a dichotomous choice system. When a second acceptance arrives, compare, choose one to hold and withdraw from the other. If another arrives, compare again, choose one to hold, withdraw from the other. And so on for the lucky ones who get multiple acceptances. The homework for laying a basis for choosing should begin at the interview by "interviewing " the medical school. Your interview is not a one way Q&A session. Speak also to medical students about issues which concern you. Make notes. That way, when later confronted with choosing, you do not have to make a return trip to find out what should have been found out at the time of interview; the alternative is chosing almost blindly, probably using "ranking" or "reputation" as the chief criterion, maybe level of potential indebtedness as another or how close to home it is.

Rear up, Cobra, hiss, spit, spread your hood, start intimidating the ones who are keeping you anxious in the holding pen.
The life of a premed is sometimes a snakepit after all.

May the wind be always at your back!

Geez Gower,

You are shockingly bitter for someone so young. Are you in med school already or are you in the process of applying?

mr_sparkle

mr_sparkle:

Gower will never tell us who he/she is. But judging from his/her previous posts, I highly doubt the he/she is an applicant or a med student. Seems to me more along the lines of an advisor with lots of statistical/helpful info and plenty of skepticism.

Based on the number of his/her posts, gower is more than likely a shut-in with little to do.