What exactly is the EK METHOD??****

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asdasdasd89

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone...

Just wondering what exactly the EK method is?? I know they tell you to finish the enitre test, but what if your reading speed isn't the fastest? (i.e. I would have to guess on questions here and there to finish the test on time)

Could anyone please explain to me in detail what the EK strategy is?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

The EK method really only applies to VR. Everything else is whatever.

In VR, it boils down to:

Read the passage ONCE for understanding.
Think about the Main Idea while reading.
Use the Main Idea to answer the questions without looking back at the passage.

Essentially, summarize in your head and go off of that to answer questions.

EK's method also says most anyone in college who can read, can read fast enough to finish the MCAT. The reason they don't finish isn't because they read too slow, it's because they spend too much time on the one or two hard questions per passage and also they rely on going back to the passage far too much. According to EK, if you do not finish the verbal in time, you must completely quit going back to the passage. Eliminate answer choices for the questions you feel you need to go back to the passage for, guess and move on. Once you finish, you will realize how much time you have left over. This gives you an idea of how many questions you should mark in the future. If you finish with 5 minutes left, then obviously you can't mark a whole host of questions, just mark the ones you know you can refer back to the passage and find, but while you're going through the passage for the first time, DO NOT go back to the passage, even if you think you know where it is, just mark it and come back.

EK also says to read for the main idea. If you concentrate on trying to remember the details, you won't really understand the point of the passage, and then when asked typical MCAT questions on application and hypotheticals about the author, you will have a very hard time. Instead, read for the main idea and trying to understand the passage as a whole, and according to EK, you will be surprised at how many details you remember when you're not actually trying to remember details.

I can't really think of anything else... but I think those are the most important points.

quick question:
is it better for you to paraphrase while reeading?
or just read at once and figure out the main idea?

whats your preference?